Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, for supposedly being one of the best arms in the Twins organization right now, his debut in Cedar Rapids could have gone a bit better. He walked each batter he faced, all of whom came around to score.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Well, for supposedly being one of the best arms in the Twins organization right now, his debut in Cedar Rapids could have gone a bit better. He walked each batter he faced, all of whom came around to score.
    But how could that be? I've been told repeatedly on these boards that BUrdi is already better than Burton, Guerrier, Thielbar, Duensing, Swarzak, Deduno, and Perkins?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah...faced 4 guys, walked 4 guys. So bascially, he's unhittable.

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    Maybe we should have a little larger sample size.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There will be some chirping here about Burdi and that's fine. But he'll be fine.

He showed something that can't be taught... a consistent 96-99 mph fastball. Yeah, he was all over the place with it, but I think it's probably premature to write him off quite yet.

And honestly, the occasional lesson in humility for a young player that's probably never experienced that kind of failure isn't always a terrible thing, either.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

6. These 2 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (06-29-2014), jorgenswest (06-29-2014)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    There will be some chirping here about Burdi and that's fine. But he'll be fine.

He showed something that can't be taught... a consistent 96-99 mph fastball. Yeah, he was all over the place with it, but I think it's probably premature to write him off quite yet.

And honestly, the occasional lesson in humility for a young player that's probably never experienced that kind of failure isn't always a terrible thing, either.
    Just pointing out people need to calm down and let the kid pitch. Some here wanted him in a Twins uniform right now when he isn't ready. Heard the same crazy things over the years about Wimmers, Boer, ect. Patience is needed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    His command was a concern in the draft and I think we sometimes overrate college hitters. I'm not sure a noraml college team is better than a team in A ball. So Burdi probably threw stuff today that might have gotten swings/misses in college but the guys he was facing were a bit better at laying off of balls out of the zone. I think Burdi will be fine but he could be another Shooter Hunt.

9. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-29-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    You don't draft a college reliever that high if he is a project. I thought it was an awful pick and this certainly is not very promising.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seth Stohs @SethTweets · 3h

On the bright side, Burdi's pitch velocities were: 99, 98, 97, 97, 96, 98, 99, 98, 98, 96, 98, 88 SL, 97, 98, 97, 97, 97, 89 SL, 96, 96, 97
    That's 2 sliders out of 21 pitches thrown. In watching him throw for Louisville in the CWS, his out pitch was consistently coming from his slider. It looks like the kid was a victim of his own adrenaline today. And that's all this is, just one day. I can't believe there are posters already writing Burdi off. C'mon fellas, even college pitchers have learning curves when they hit the professional ranks.

12. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-29-2014)

Blog Entries

No one is writing him off. There was a lot of consternation about the fact that he wasn't started in A+ or AA. Sounds to me like he has his work cut out for him in Cedar Rapids right now.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll be fine. It was cool to watch the radar gun readings. He wasn't close today. Minor league report should be posted soon with quotes from Burdi.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    No one is writing him off. There was a lot of consternation about the fact that he wasn't started in A+ or AA. Sounds to me like he has his work cut out for him in Cedar Rapids right now.
    Well, there are a few who have made some fairly big assumptions based on one game
    And how much concern was out there, really from Burdi starting out in CR? The Twins scouts have been on this guy since he was in high school, I am hereby going on record and will state that I'm more than willing to give the Twins, and Burdi, the benefit of the doubt, for at least one more game.

Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    You don't draft a college reliever that high if he is a project. I thought it was an awful pick and this certainly is not very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think Burdi will be fine but he could be another Shooter Hunt.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-29-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Only one of those quotes indicates giving up, and that author made it clear he wasn't a fan of the pick in the first place. But as for Burdi starting in CR, there were a number of posters who thought he should have been in A+ or AA to start and weren't happy about this assignment.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Only one of those quotes indicates giving up, and that author made it clear he wasn't a fan of the pick in the first place. But as for Burdi starting in CR, there were a number of posters who thought he should have been in A+ or AA to start and weren't happy about this assignment.
    Yes there were, but that very small number of posters doesn't indicate that it was a general consensus. Shooter Hunt's name was actually invoked, after one freaking game!, another had apparently written him off BEFORE one freaking game, while "another" poster was dubious about Burdi "supposedly being one of the best arms in the organization"
    Last edited by jokin; 06-30-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John Manuel told us on our Hangout two weeks ago that some college guys go through a "let-down" stage when they move from big-time college baseball to the low-level minors. Burdi was just pitching in the College World Series. And he's a closer, who seem to strive more on adrenaline than others. And his "professional" debut. There's just a lot of things that could have led to this rough outing.

Obviously, these are all just excuses... but I'm willing to excuse this appearance.

19. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Nowhere did I "give up" on him. Posters here love to throw that around - oh look, people are "giving up" on so-and-so. Having concerns is not "giving up" and I don't really appreciate having my posts miscontrued.

Besides which, you missed the point - taking Burdi that high only makes sense if he is relatively low-risk, because relievers have limited upside. Being unable to throw the ball anywhere near the plate in his first outing doesn't scream 'low-risk' to me.

Blog Entries
    Nowhere did I "give up" on him. Posters here love to throw that around - oh look, people are "giving up" on so-and-so. Having concerns is not "giving up" and I don't really appreciate having my posts miscontrued.

Besides which, you missed the point - taking Burdi that high only makes sense if he is relatively low-risk, because relievers have limited upside. Being unable to throw the ball anywhere near the plate in his first outing doesn't scream 'low-risk' to me.
    I should have stated it differently. My apologies. You didn't like the pick (as is your right). I was addressing the comments about people giving up on him. I'd note though that Burdi was considered by many to be first round talent. The Tigers were thinking about grabbing him with their pick. I don't think we reached, and if he hits that ceiling, I'm quite fine with getting a shut down 8th/9th guy in the second round.

22. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-30-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

I watched Burdi three times in the CWS. I, too, have concerns, and have previously posted them. I'm thinking he's going to need to throw an occasional effective change to keep major league hitters honest. His stuff was electric, to be sure. But college hitters were squaring up on his 98 MPH FB in all 3 games that I watched- is that indicative that it's coming up flat to the plate? The slider was his out pitch, and he's going to have to get professional players to bite on it. This is all going to require developmental time, hopefully much less than the typical college pitcher, of course- I'm under the assumption that the Twins scouts are aware of this as a factual statement. They have watched him since high school, have drafted him previously, and are convinced his stuff is a cut above the typical college arm, and is going to translate.

The reason your post was micsonstrued was in how you phrased your response. It is your opinion about drafting relief pitchers and their project status, not fact. Burdi was listed as high as a middle first-rounder on many scouting reports- these are opinions from paid national experts. Communication is a two-way street- misconstrual comes with the territory for all of us amateurs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The reason your post was micsonstrued was in how you phrased your response. It is your opinion about drafting relief pitchers and their project status, not fact. Burdi was listed as high as a middle first-rounder on many scouting reports- these are opinions from paid national experts. Communication is a two-way street- misconstrual comes with the territory for all of us amateurs.
    There is nothing in my post at all that consitutes "giving up" on him. Nothing. It is impossible to legitimately construe my post that way.

Clearly, I would not have drafted him, as I said immediately after the pick was made. But that's a separate issue. What concerns me about his debut is that the pick was justified based on the premise that he could move quickly through the system - a notion not exactly reinforced by his debut.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is nothing in my post at all that consitutes "giving up" on him. Nothing. It is impossible to legitimately construe my post that way.

Clearly, I would not have drafted him, as I said immediately after the pick was made. But that's a separate issue. What concerns me about his debut is that the pick was justified based on the premise that he could move quickly through the system - a notion not exactly reinforced by his debut.
    Can move quickly was said about Bullock, Gutieriez, etc. I think too often guys that throw hard are given this label.

It is way too early to tell if Burdi will move up quick or not, I didn't like the pick at the time either, but I agree this outing is not that important.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast