@sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Nick Gordon: Beyond the Bloodlines

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm very optimistic about this kid after listening to him speak. He seems to get it. The Twins certainly nabbed the top positional player on their draft board, and saw him enough to confirm that. There's a lot to like here.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am thrilled with this selection. I understand there are no guarantees, but his baseball skills, his supportive family, and his positive attitude are all so very important. Plus he is a SHORTSTOP, arguably the most difficult position to fill. Great selection Twins. To quote Deron Johnson: "We got our man!"

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoy that everyone predicts he will stick at SS as well, which is awesome.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Sounds like a perfect top of the draft pick. Seems to have the downside of an average hitter with plus defense and the upside of a complete hitter with some power and still a good defender. Obviously a lot can change but like the high ceiling this guy appears to have along with what looks like a fairly high floor. Should at the very least contribute at some point to the major league team and has the chance to be a cornerstone type guy.

I think that if he attempts to change his swing to be more of a power hitter that it would hurt him in the end. Target Field does not play well for left handers, unless you have raw power like Arcia. This kid will have to really connect to hit bombs there and would pop out a lot if he makes hitting HR's a priority.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think he'll change his swing to try to hit HR's. He thinks he can hit 20-25 a year, that's a number that is achievable without any changes. 10-15 may be a more realistic number, but if he hits .285 and steals 25-30 bases a year to go with those 10-15 HR's and plus defense, I think everyone, including critics/cynics on this website, will be extremely happy.

The guys on MLB radio gush about make-up and instincts, reinforcing the belief that he will have a very long career. The improvement he shows in hitting and power will determine where in the order he will hit - lead-off, second or in the bottom third. If he hits with power, the Twins will be paying him a bunch of money to keep him post-arb.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    I don't think he'll change his swing to try to hit HR's. He thinks he can hit 20-25 a year, that's a number that is achievable without any changes. 10-15 may be a more realistic number, but if he hits .285 and steals 25-30 bases a year to go with those 10-15 HR's and plus defense, I think everyone, including critics/cynics on this website, will be extremely happy.
    For sure. That's a guy you sign to a long-term deal, especially with his patience and ability to get on base.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    If, heaven forbid, Gordon turns into a bust, I'll try to remember not to rip the Twins for selecting him. I would have picked him as well.

Anyway, kudos to the Twins for agreeing with me.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    And no, Flash takes no offense to the fact that Nick lists another MLB player as his favorite. It was the same way with Dee.

"My oldest said, 'Daddy, you wouldn't be mad at me if Jimmy Rollins was my favorite player, would you?'" Tom Gordon said, laughing. "I said, 'No, as long as he's not your favorite father.' I think that helped Nick build up the nerve to tell me Derek Jeter is his favorite player."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...rdon-emotional

Sounds like a great family. Look forward to seeing what how he develops.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    If, heaven forbid, Gordon turns into a bust, I'll try to remember not to rip the Twins for selecting him. I would have picked him as well.

Anyway, kudos to the Twins for agreeing with me.
    I wish more people would try to remember that stuff. I often wonder what the archives would look like for people saying we should have signed Morneau or shouldn't have signed Mauer. I remember plenty saying Lohse was not good and Cuddyer was worthless not to mention comments about Gomez, Crain and Dickey.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still cannot believe that the Twins passed over Alex Jackson to sign Nick Gordon. I don't think that he will be a bust, but he will be the only top 5 draft pick for a while to not make his team's top 5 prospect list or even his team's top 10 prospect list in some lists. It speaks about the strength of the Twins' system, but I think that Jackson would had been in the Twins top 5 prospects.

Wishing Nick the best and to prove me wrong

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I wish more people would try to remember that stuff. I often wonder what the archives would look like for people saying we should have signed Morneau or shouldn't have signed Mauer. I remember plenty saying Lohse was not good and Cuddyer was worthless not to mention comments about Gomez, Crain and Dickey.
    Cuddyer is in the perfect place to hit. I remember complaining on how he liked to swing and miss at sliders low and away. I liked Gomez but I didnt mind that they traded him for Hardy. I didn't like that trade getting rid of Hardy. I didnt mind Crain leaving. He was good but he wasnt that important. Dickey I was indifferent and still am.