Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 2

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries

Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 2

The second day of the draft starts today with the pre-draft show firing up at MLB.com at 11:30am. Rounds 3-10 will be streamed for most of the day.

MLB Draft Page: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/index.jsp

Day 1 Draft Thread: http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...y-Thread-Day-1

Who will the Twins take in the third round?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully lots of highschool pitching.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Though the odds of players making it to the big leagues lessens as the rounds go on, remember that Brian Dozier was the Twins 8th round pick in 2009 after his senior season in college. Draft picks come in all shapes, sizes and ages and you never know which will make it. It's always interesting to see what they do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I don't know a lot about who is left but Chris Oliver could be interesting - although he might end up in the pen. I'm a big fan of Jackson Reetz, the catching prospect. Would jump on him if we could. Carson Sands is an intriguing lefty from North Florida Christian and his teammate OFer Matthew Railey would both look good too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Law's best available:

29. Jake Bukauskas, RHP, Stone Bridge (Va.) HS
    32. Bryce Montes de Oca, RHP, Lawrence (Kan.) HS
    36. Zech Lemond, RHP, Rice
    38. Jackson Reetz, C/OF, Hickman (Neb.) HS
    47. Mac Marshall, RHP, Parkview (Ga.) HS
    48. Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton (Ga.) HS
    59. Brett Graves, RHP, Missouri
    61. Jeren Kendall, OF, Holmen (Wis.) HS
    62. Bobby Bradley, 3B, Harrison Central HS (Gulfport, Miss.)

Bukauskus, Montes de Oca and Kendall are probably all unsignable/massive over-slot guys at this point, although I expect all three will get calls tonight from teams looking to see if $1.5-2 million is enough to buy them out of their college commitment.

Lemond came back from missing time with a sore elbow that resulted directly from misuse at Rice, and teams are afraid to take a Rice pitcher to begin with. But Lemond has shown he's healthy and represents great value at this point. Cease has an elbow injury but opted for platelet-rich plasma treatment rather than surgery, and could still be signable for a team willing to take on the risk that he'll need Tommy John surgery down the road. Graves' stock wasn't helped by playing for a miserable team that missed the SEC tournament, but I think he'll go in the third round as one of the few good college starters left on the board.

6. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Callis' top 3 available:

1. J.B. Bukauskas, RHP, Stone Bridge HS, Ashburn, Va. Bukauskas sent teams an email in May, asking them not to draft him because he planned on attending North Carolina, and they apparently took him at his word. He created a stir when he threw 94-97 mph in the first inning of his first start in March and he maintained that velocity throughout this spring. Most teams project him as a reliever because he's 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds, but it's hard not to love that arm strength.
    2. Jakson Reetz, C, Norris HS, Firth, Neb. Arguably the best all-around prep catcher available, Reetz starred on the amateur circuit last summer and fall. He was named MVP at the Perfect Game All-America Classic and hit .435 to help the U.S. 18-and-under team with the World Cup. More athletic than most catchers, he has a quick bat and the potential for average power. He also has solid arm strength and should develop into a dependable receiver.
    3. Milton Ramos, SS, American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla. The top defensive player in the Draft, Ramos has classic infield actions, good range to both sides, soft hands and a strong, accurate arm. Scouts aren't as enthralled by his bat, as he'll need to get stronger and make more consistent contact. He does flash some power during batting practice, so there is hope for him at the plate.

8. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm not sure how signable the top available high school talent is. I'd still like to see the Twins get some high school pitching. I like Keaton McKinney and Keith Weisenberg as projectable guys with already solid stuff.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I like Marshall and Reetz, and in general I think some more position players with upside would be good.

Senior Member All-Star
    From Kiley McDaniel:
    Bukauskas - He asked teams not to be drafted and has said all along the reason he re-classified from the 2015 class was to get to UNC quicker, so teams believe he's truly unsignable at any number and thus he may go undrafted through all 40 rounds despite 1st round talent

Marshall faded down the stretch and apparently won't be an easy sign even if he goes in the top 50 picks as it sounded like he might a month or two in the past. He went so far as to say publicly that he'd only sign if taken in the first round. Some scouts turned him in as a 3rd-4th rounder and buzz is building that he'll get to LSU

McKinney - He apparently wants over $1 million (the last 7 figure slot is at pick 56) and I have him ranked a little higher than most teams, so the belief is he'll go to Arkansas.

Cease - The Vandy commit will likely get Tommy John surgery and is a 6'1 righty, but he hit 100 mph on some guns early in the year and the belief is he'll get and accept a 7 figure offer, though it isn't a sure thing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Law's best available:

29. Jake Bukauskas, RHP, Stone Bridge (Va.) HS
    32. Bryce Montes de Oca, RHP, Lawrence (Kan.) HS
    36. Zech Lemond, RHP, Rice
    38. Jackson Reetz, C/OF, Hickman (Neb.) HS
    47. Mac Marshall, RHP, Parkview (Ga.) HS
    48. Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton (Ga.) HS
    59. Brett Graves, RHP, Missouri
    61. Jeren Kendall, OF, Holmen (Wis.) HS
    62. Bobby Bradley, 3B, Harrison Central HS (Gulfport, Miss.)

Bukauskus, Montes de Oca and Kendall are probably all unsignable/massive over-slot guys at this point, although I expect all three will get calls tonight from teams looking to see if $1.5-2 million is enough to buy them out of their college commitment.

Lemond came back from missing time with a sore elbow that resulted directly from misuse at Rice, and teams are afraid to take a Rice pitcher to begin with. But Lemond has shown he's healthy and represents great value at this point. Cease has an elbow injury but opted for platelet-rich plasma treatment rather than surgery, and could still be signable for a team willing to take on the risk that he'll need Tommy John surgery down the road. Graves' stock wasn't helped by playing for a miserable team that missed the SEC tournament, but I think he'll go in the third round as one of the few good college starters left on the board.
    Graves would be a nice Twins pick. I think Lemond is a reliever and they won't draft him after nabbing Burdi. Although they could grab him and let him continue on his reliever to starter run .... mike wants wins will love that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Ryan mentioned he would like to see the Twins draft some LHPing but outside of Marshall, whom might not be signable, all the top names are gone.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Graves would be a nice Twins pick. I think Lemond is a reliever and they won't draft him after nabbing Burdi. Although they could grab him and let him continue on his reliever to starter run .... mike wants wins will love that.
    At least this year they didn't take injured relievers and try to make them starters.....so they seem to be learning from the past.....

Based on very limited research, I want Reetz the most right now. A Rice pitcher? May as well take gunnarthor and use the savings to sign someone else.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm not sure if this should be a different thread but, what did people think about other teams drafts? I liked Houston taking Aiken and Fischer although I'm not a big fan of Reed. I have no idea what the Cubs are doing. It looked like they took two underslot deals right away. Sadly, the White Sox had a real nice draft - Rodon is a top 30 prospect already and Adams might be their second beset prospect. Cleveland was really into bloodlines - even took Killebrew's grandson. They had a nice first day.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Really lost faith in the Cubs leadership, though I think I am underestimating the first pick a bit.....really not happy the Sox got Rodon. He'll be in the rotation next year (see Sale), and not waste 3 years in the minors not using his best pitches. Good luck to the Twins in hitting his stuff.
    Lighten up Francis....

17. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Toronto and Milwaukee both got some great talent with their three picks, it'll be interesting to see if they are able to sign them all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Here is the Twins next pick - raw HS lefty - http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...d9e_story.html

If he's gone then perhaps they go in a different direction taking a solid hitting college OF'er.

http://m.mlb.com/tex/video/v33211325...ege-outfielder

They like their Nicks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    At least this year they didn't take injured relievers and try to make them starters.....so they seem to be learning from the past.....

Based on very limited research, I want Reetz the most right now. A Rice pitcher? May as well take gunnarthor and use the savings to sign someone else.....
    They have only made two picks...

Senior Member All-Star
    Here we go. Time to start round 3.

Gotta go starting pitcher the next couple rounds here...

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm guessing a college arm...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast