Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 2

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Wow, another closer.

To be fair though, I would have killed to have Cederoth in round 2 before the season started. He might get a shot to start.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Lol!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Michael Cederoth.....another RPer? What the hell.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    I don't know what people expect with 3rd round picks etc, people are going to complain either way.
    I love the fact they are taking power arms.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

5. These 3 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-06-2014), ScottyB (06-06-2014), Sweetwater (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    I think last winter we were guessing who would be this year's Jon Gray and shoot up the draft boards. Cederoth was my guess. Then he tanked and got moved to the pen lol.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Michael Cederoth.....another RPer? What the hell.
    I love reading your initial reactions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Didn't make Law's board. 45 on BA's and 95 on Crawford's. 59 on mlb.coms

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I love reading your initial reactions.
    I just don't understand drafting RPing arms. Didn't like it in 2012 and don't like it now. I can live with Burdi if they actually fast track him but two in a row?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm someone who believes relievers can be had somewhat easily, e.g. Grant Balfour, etc types seem to come out of nowhere.

So typically my 'philosophy' would be, grab as many hard throwing starter arms as possible. If they can't develop a 3rd pitch, voila, full effort throwing for 2 pitches = successful MLB reliever.

That said, these two guys, Burdi and Cederoth, are guys who have thrown 100 mph and are the hardest throwers in this draft. They also, barring injuries, are pretty much locks to make MLB and likely by next year. So, who knows, if somehow Buxton, Sano, and Rosario are ready to add some bats to the team next year, sign another starter...this is a team that could be above .500 next year. A lot of contingencies for sure, but no more Jared Burton etc.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I don't know what people expect with 3rd round picks etc, people are going to complain either way.
    I love the fact they are taking power arms.
    And big bodies as well - 6'6" and 220!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    I also like the power arms grabs. Two guys who could be in the majors soon. Any word on if Cederoth has a shot at starting?

i figured the Twins were going to take Cederoth or Lemond. Lemond seems to have more upside though..

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I'm someone who believes relievers can be had somewhat easily, e.g. Grant Balfour, etc types seem to come out of nowhere.

So typically my 'philosophy' would be, grab as many hard throwing starter arms as possible. If they can't develop a 3rd pitch, voila, full effort throwing for 2 pitches = successful MLB reliever.

That said, these two guys, Burdi and Cederoth, are guys who have thrown 100 mph and are the hardest throwers in this draft. They also, barring injuries, are pretty much locks to make MLB and likely by next year. So, who knows, if somehow Buxton, Sano, and Rosario are ready to add some bats to the team next year, sign another starter...this is a team that could be above .500 next year. A lot of contingencies for sure, but no more Jared Burton etc.
    There aren't exactly a lot of hard throwing starters left in the 3rd round...the guys you are looking at that are "sure thing starters" at this point are just more of the same 90-92 that the Twins have plenty of.

Additionally Cederoth has the ability to start and throws really, really, really hard. Ideally the Twins can teach him secondary pitches and he can succeed as a starter, however if he doesn't, hell you got another guy who throws 98 who can slot into the bullpen rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganTwins View Post
    I also like the power arms grabs. Two guys who could be in the majors soon. Any word on if Cederoth has a shot at starting?
    Yes. Per MLB

Five years after Stephen Strasburg went No. 1 overall in the Draft, San Diego State has another hard-throwing right-hander poised to go in the first round. Unlike Strasburg, Cederoth was a prospect in high school, too, though signability knocked him down to the 41st round in 2011. He can light up a radar gun like no other college arm in this year's Draft, as he's capable of working in the mid 90s and hitting 98 mph with his fastball, with triple-digits within reach in shorter stints. Cederoth has a lot of moving parts in his delivery and still is learning to control his 6-foot-6 frame, so he lacks consistency with the rest of his pitches as well as his control and command. His low-80s slider has the most potential of his secondary offerings, and he also throws a curveball and a changeup. Cederoth moved to the bullpen this spring and was throwing well as San Diego State's closer. If he can't develop a reliable second weapon and do a better job of locating his pitches, that could be his long-term role at the next level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I just don't understand drafting RPing arms. Didn't like it in 2012 and don't like it now. I can live with Burdi if they actually fast track him but two in a row?
    I actually loved it in 2012. Mostly because the Twins seemed willing to give most of those guys a chance to start and they didn't have the arm abuse that most college starters had. Hasn't worked out to well so far though.

I guess after they saw Melotakis and Duffy struggle to maintain velocity and strikeouts they said, let's get guys who throw even harder!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Tell that to the Detroit Tigers.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Velocity is about a sure bet as there is in drafting an arm. This how you avoid relying on Guerriers and Burtons in the bullpen year after year. Starting is certainly sexy. But the Twins do have a bevvy of under-twenty arms that should continue to develop as starters. Getting some real talent to close out games is part of a winning strategy.

All that said, it won't hurt to try starting one or both these guys.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    My guess is that Cederoth gets a shot to start while the Twins keep Burdi in the pen. If Cederoth can't crack it, oh well, another high octane bullpen option. You could do much worse with this pick
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

20. This user likes B Richard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Law's chat:

Should Twins fans expect Burdi and Cederoth in the Majors within 2 yrs?

Klaw 1:21 PM ET

If not, then they were the wrong picks. I can't see taking a college reliever that high unless you think he's going to reach the majors quickly. The failure rate of relievers is too high to take one in the top 3 rounds if you think he's several years away.

22. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Looks like a Deron Johnson draft so far. Flame throwers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast