Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wait . . . What did Gardy just say?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 269 Times in 131 Posts
    The FO isn't ready to eat the money they agreed to pay Correia and Pelfry -- both good clubhouse guys whose careers have hit the skids. We fans, however, are ready to make the changes now. Easy for us. It's not our money. But what the FO sometimes forgets is, it is our team. Let's hope they gets on the stick sooner than later.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Circus Boy View Post
    The FO isn't ready to eat the money they agreed to pay Correia and Pelfry -- both good clubhouse guys whose careers have hit the skids. We fans, however, are ready to make the changes now. Easy for us. It's not our money. But what the FO sometimes forgets is, it is our team. Let's hope they gets on the stick sooner than later.
    Sunk costs. You can pay a guy to keep him and help you lose, or you can pay him and let him walk away, to ultimately help you win. I think they're actually closer to doing the latter than Gardy's comments indicate. As I said earlier, I don't interpret them literally. "We're paying him big money to [give up six runs in five innings]" sounds like taking the party line with a twist of sarcasm.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

3. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    The thread topic was NOT about how crappy Correia is. Even I can decipher that, and I don't need a bunch of superfluous stats to help me out.

The question was about Gardy's comments. Some of you suggested he hold have essentially thrown the FO, and maybe Correia and indirectly Nolasco, under the bus, which he shouldn't do IMO. Some of you insist he threw the AAA starters under the bus. I've re-read his comment with an open mind to that notion, and find the comments matter-of-fact and completely innocuous in terms of that. And also accurate. May and Meyer look like they're both really close, but isn't May still a little wild? Hasn't Meyer been working hard on perfecting a new grip? I doubt these two would watch the video of Gardy's comments and feel they were criticized, unfairly or not, let alone thrown under the bus.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The thread topic was NOT about how crappy Correia is. Even I can decipher that, and I don't need a bunch of superfluous stats to help me out.

The question was about Gardy's comments. Some of you suggested he hold have essentially thrown the FO, and maybe Correia and indirectly Nolasco, under the bus, which he shouldn't do IMO. Some of you insist he threw the AAA starters under the bus. I've re-read his comment with an open mind to that notion, and find the comments matter-of-fact and completely innocuous in terms of that. And also accurate. May and Meyer look like they're both really close, but isn't May still a little wild? Hasn't Meyer been working hard on perfecting a new grip? I doubt these two would watch the video of Gardy's comments and feel they were criticized, unfairly or not, let alone thrown under the bus.
    May has a 1.5 BB/9 this year, ballpark. He turned a corner in the fall league and carried that into this year. He's had a couple of clunkers. But that's par for the course. If he's not ready now, he sure doesn't have much more to work on.

Meyer needs a month to get more consistent with the change. But we're not talking about bringing him up just yet. Worst case, May gets five starts to sink or swim, needs a flotation device, and you bring up Meyer to replace him. Or Darnell, or Johnson, or Pinto.

If it was just about winning now and Correia was helping us do that, I could take Gardy's comments literally. But in the context of that night, when he gave up a four-run lead and only lasted five innings, what he said was inaccurate. You have to question his motives when you catch him deliberately deviating from the truth. I think it's a shot across the FO's bow. But there are many ways to twist and turn a Gardy rant.
    Last edited by cmathewson; 06-08-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 269 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    May has a 1.5 BB/9 this year, ballpark. He turned a corned in the fall league and carried that into this year.
    Turned a corned in high school. Lot like circumcision. Couldn't walk for a year.
    Last edited by Circus Boy; 06-08-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456