Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wait . . . What did Gardy just say?

Wait . . . What did Gardy just say?

Ron Gardenhire on the future of Kevin Correia, who has arguably been the worst regular starting pitcher in baseball so far this year:

“Kevin’s one of our starters. [He’s] paid good money to do that, and he’s still going to get paid no matter what, so he’s one of our starters,” Gardenhire said. “We need him to be a little more consistent, but he’s one of our starters right now. The guys in Triple-A have had their ups and downs, too. They’ve had some good starts and bad starts, and believe me, we know where they’re at.”

(Emphasis added.)

So instead of paying people because their play dictates it, we have to keep playing people because their pay dictates it.

Side note: In all the games that Kevin Correia has not started, the Twins are 25-21. That’s a .543 winning percentage and translates to 88 wins and a good shot at a wildcard. But Kevin Correia is going “to get paid no matter what,” so let’s keep playing him.

2. These 3 users like minny&paul's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-08-2014), snepp (06-07-2014), Trautmann13 (06-06-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Like I said earlier today...trade deadline. But god do I hope I'm wrong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    What did you want Gardy to say? "I want Meyer up here but the FO isn't ready for that."? He's towing the company line for now. Correia has a little more rope than Pelfrey but probably not a lot more (interestingly, if you trust fip, Correia has been extremely unlucky this year).

5. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (06-06-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Embarrassing .......and unjustifiable. Worst starter in the majors, and they have guys dominating AAA, and he stays up here.....ya, they are really trying hard to win this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

7. These 4 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-06-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-06-2014), sandbun (06-08-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-06-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I want Gardy to say "we are always evaluating our roster, that's all I really have to say right now on that topic", not to defend the worst starter in the majors. I want accountability, as I've posted here over and over.
    Lighten up Francis....

9. These 4 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (06-06-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-06-2014), Sconnie (06-06-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-06-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    If you want accountability, you've come to the wrong place... the Twins organization is completely averse to it, from the top on down.

11. This user likes drivlikejehu's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

sandbun (06-08-2014)

How about "Right now he's one of the guys that has been made available to me. Until that changes, he'll start"

I'd feel better if Gardy said "interestingly, if you trust fip, Correia has been extremely unlucky this year." That would mean that (a) the decision to keep starting him was being made for baseball reasons; and (b) Gardy knows what fip is! That would be better than saying we are stuck with this guy because we pay him a lot.

14. These 9 users like minny&paul's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-07-2014), Dance with Disco Dan (06-06-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-06-2014), jokin (06-06-2014), LaBombo (06-06-2014), mike wants wins (06-06-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-06-2014), Siehbiscuit (06-06-2014), snepp (06-07-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get that Gardy isn't going to throw Correia under the bus and I don't think I'd want him to (not that I agree with his entire take - but I don't think he should say "Correia sucks, get me someone else" either).

However, his whole "The guys in triple A have ups and downs too" rubs me the wrong way. No one is saying that Meyer, May, Pino - etc. are going to come up and never struggle but evidence is looking pretty good that Correia is more "down" than "up" anymore and the guys in Rochester have shown quality and consistent stuff all year.

Don't disparage the guys in the minors to defend your starter. Most fans are too smart to fall for that and it just comes off as an excuse.

16. These 13 users like iTwins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Dance with Disco Dan (06-06-2014), gil4 (06-06-2014), mike wants wins (06-06-2014), Siehbiscuit (06-06-2014), Since71 (06-06-2014), snepp (06-07-2014), Stan Zbornak (06-06-2014), Taildragger8791 (06-06-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-06-2014), TheLeviathan (06-06-2014), Trautmann13 (06-06-2014), USAFChief (06-06-2014), Willihammer (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I want Gardy to say "we are always evaluating our roster, that's all I really have to say right now on that topic", not to defend the worst starter in the majors. I want accountability, as I've posted here over and over.
    I guess I think things are being said and planned behind the scenes so I don't particularly care about media comments. I suspect that the FO hopes that Correia can get back on track enough to be a possible trade chip and that they are probably willing to let him make 3-4 more starts to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    I get that Gardy isn't going to throw Correia under the bus and I don't think I'd want him to (not that I agree with his entire take - but I don't think he should say "Correia sucks, get me someone else" either).

However, his whole "The guys in triple A have ups and downs too" rubs me the wrong way. No one is saying that Meyer, May, Pino - etc. are going to come up and never struggle but evidence is looking pretty good that Correia is more "down" than "up" anymore and the guys in Rochester have shown quality and consistent stuff all year.

Don't disparage the guys in the minors to defend your starter. Most fans are too smart to fall for that and it just comes off as an excuse.
    Well said. You don't have to expect him to insult Correia, but there is zero reason to mention the AAA guys in the process.

The thing about Correia is, what version of Kevn Correia are the Twins waiting for? They guy has been a full-time (or almost full-time) starter since 2007. He has never -- repeat -- never had even a league average ERA+ as a starter. He probably has been somewhat unlucky this year, but for seven years he's been below average at his job. That's not luck.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I guess I think things are being said and planned behind the scenes so I don't particularly care about media comments. I suspect that the FO hopes that Correia can get back on track enough to be a possible trade chip and that they are probably willing to let him make 3-4 more starts to get there.
    why worry about getting a prospect ranked worse than 500th in the minors, over winning MLB games right now? Will they ever care about putting the best players on the field?
    Lighten up Francis....

21. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crapforks (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post

I don't think he's trying to disparage May, for instance. I think he's trying to keep our expectations honest. May has had some really good outings but has had some issues with walks and has been able to get minor league hitters to chase a bit. When he gets up here, he's probably going to get knocked around and sent back down before he figures it out long term. But I think a lot of people see his sub 3.00 era and more strike outs than innings pitched and think he's a front of the rotation starter.

I guess I just don't read his comment the same way as you did.

23. These 3 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Circus Boy (06-08-2014), DocBauer (06-06-2014), PseudoSABR (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I do hate the implication that Correia has to play because they paid him too much. He's the flipping on field manager, he's supposed to want the best players and not give two #$& about money.

I further am opposed to this line: "The guys in Triple-A have had their ups and downs, too. They’ve had some good starts and bad starts, and believe me, we know where they’re at.”

Is he seriously trying to compare Correia's struggles to minor hiccups May, Meyer, Johnson and Darnell have had?

I agree with the above posters who say Gardy shouldn't be expected to rip Correia in public, however while he's defending him he throws the AAA guys under the bus? What the hell?

Edit: Sorry for the plagiarism iTwins, I promise your post wasn't up when I started typing mine!
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-06-2014 at 10:06 AM.

25. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

iTwins (06-06-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not as interested in what Gardy or the front office has to say, as I am in what they do. Actions speak louder than words. We fans can see who is pitching for the Twins each night and we can see how the guys in AAA and AA are doing. It is time for some changes in the starting rotation. As Willihammer said in another thread yesterday: "We are 100% in this thing."

27. These 3 users like tarheeltwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-06-2014), Sconnie (06-06-2014), USAFChief (06-06-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Clearly, however, the FO does not agree with that stance, that they should be fielding the best players available right now. Or, does the FO believe their prospects would post the worst ERA in all of baseball? If they do belive that, they should probably trade them to orgs that don't believe that. Which is it? Do they really think these four-five pitchers would post the worst ERA in all of baseball, or is there some other reason NONE of them can come up right now? You can't be worried about ruining all of their careers, and all of them needing to work on stuff for the long term, they already have 3-4 starters in the majors, and 3-5 starters in AA/AAA, and 3-5 starters in A ball.....it is ok for some of the AAA guys to come up now, and not wait for PERFECTION....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I chalk this up to Gardy being Gardy, defending a struggling vet publicly.

I hope no one in the front office listens.

30. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-06-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I don't think he's trying to disparage May, for instance. I think he's trying to keep our expectations honest. May has had some really good outings but has had some issues with walks and has been able to get minor league hitters to chase a bit. When he gets up here, he's probably going to get knocked around and sent back down before he figures it out long term. But I think a lot of people see his sub 3.00 era and more strike outs than innings pitched and think he's a front of the rotation starter.
    That may be what he's trying to do, but I don't know if it's necessary. I'd like to think most fans know well enough than to expect a rookie to come out of the gate and look like Jose Fernandez. (I'll readily admit, I could be wrong here. I sometimes give other fans credit for being smarter than they really are)

Sure, May or Pino or Darnell could come up and get knocked around, but what exactly is Correia doing right now that's any different? If he wants to stand by Correia - fine. Correia's on his roster, I don't have an issue with the manager backing him up in the media. My issue comes in where the assertion that "the minor guys can struggle too" is a reason to keep mediocore veterans on the roster.

Senior Member MVP
    "mediocre" now means awful? Let's just be honest here, he's awful at his job. Not an awful person, not an awful teammate, but at his job. He's not mediocre.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast