Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Day 2 Draft Picks (Rounds 3-10)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Burdi was lights-out last night. TV had his fastball at 96-99. Twins had scouts there and had him 96-100. His slider was 88 and filthy. He throws it for strikes.

I have additional scouting notes on Cutura and LeBlanc to add later this morning and, as I've added already, the Twins and Murphy appear to have reached a deal already.

I believe the Twins followed BAA strategy.
    Pitchers break down (Tottle, Bashore, Wimmers).
    You never have enough pitchers.
    Twins went after high upside, high risk rather than soft tossing SPs.
    For the most part, the Twins got value (according to BA and other rankings).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    Confused by the binge on relief pitchers but in no way will I pretend I follow college/prep ball close enough to know what were better options there. Just seems a little odd that they didn't diversify a bit. This is the 2nd or 3rd year we've been going after the hard throwing relievers and have yet to see much success from it unless I'm missing something. I guess the Twins maybe wanted to buy more lottery tickets. I saw the Cingrani comp but are there any others that should make me feel better about this draft?

Either way, love the Gordon and Burdi pick. A bit confused by the others. Would have liked to see some prep starters in there. Hoping that some are right that the Twins plan is to save some coin on these college relievers and go after some tough signs with the extra money today.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It hasn't been said to me directly, but I had heard previously that the Twins were less than impressed with this draft class. I can only assume that meant they weren't thrilled with the quality of players that were on the board and instead went with quick-sign guys. That might have been why they were on the top of the board. Let's get them in and see what we have.

There's probably more to it than that, but I hope the point is clear.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's what I don't understand. This was considered to be a pretty deep draft (particularly in HS pitching). I don't have a problem with doing the quick sign/cheap sign guys if they had grabbed a high ceiling tough sign highschool pitcher, but thus far, I'm not seeing that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    The Twins are a poorly run organization. Who knows what kind of mistakes and bad processes lead to things like this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Burdi was lights-out last night. TV had his fastball at 96-99. Twins had scouts there and had him 96-100. His slider was 88 and filthy. He throws it for strikes.

I have additional scouting notes on Cutura and LeBlanc to add later this morning and, as I've added already, the Twins and Murphy appear to have reached a deal already.
    Jeremy, have you heard definitively whether we want burdi in the pen or a a starter?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Can't wait for all these college guys to go play against high schoolers. ....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Can't wait for all these college guys to go play against high schoolers. ....
    "Affiliates!"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    The Twins are a poorly run organization. Who knows what kind of mistakes and bad processes lead to things like this.
    While I'm not excited or more so a bit confused by this draft it's pretty hard to call a team with the best farm system in baseball poorly run. Yes it's been a few rough years overall but we're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Now if over the next 2-3 years our great farm system hasn't brought us above being a .500 team like the royals great farm system then I will agree.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    While I'm not excited or more so a bit confused by this draft it's pretty hard to call a team with the best farm system in baseball poorly run. Yes it's been a few rough years overall but we're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Now if over the next 2-3 years our great farm system hasn't brought us above being a .500 team like the royals great farm system then I will agree.
    They only have Buxton and Stewart because they lost so much. Even now the team is leaving wins on the table thanks to running Correia out there, constructing the roster poorly, and so on.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

i also watched the Louisville game last night and came away feeling much better after watching Burdi throw. This kid is the real deal and will be pitching in the majors next year

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    There are a few clubs who can challenge this notion, in particular, the Red Sox appear to have the nod as the #1 farm system in many publications. And resting on the laurels of picking high in the draft for 3 straight years and discovering gold with Sano will only take you so far.

Most pertinent to this thread, the onus is on the Twins to demonstrate that they can develop their home-grown picks, exploit their experimental "strategies" like this year and 2012 and hit pay-dirt with their highly touted international signings.... quickly, efficiently, and to their full potentials.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Reading Johnson's quote in the Star Trib this morning explained it somewhat, basically most the guys they wanted were gone by round 4. If a few of these guys pan out, a surplus of power arms is a nice problem to have.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    i also watched the Louisville game last night and came away feeling much better after watching Burdi throw. This kid is the real deal and will be pitching in the majors next year
    Yup....when the term "electric stuff" was invented, it was with a guy like Burdi in mind. Hopefully, he'll get another chance to pitch tonight.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Is a bummer everyone they liked was gone, but you still need to field teams. Where could all these arms pitch? We know they will start out throwing against high schoolers, and look great, then what?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    If they pan out, you can flip them for other needs. Surplus pitching >> surplus RF DH 1b types.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    If they pan out, you can flip them for other needs. Surplus pitching >> surplus RF DH 1b types.
    And given the Twins' track record in this department, when they don't pan out? Then what?

It takes a substantial skill set and a great deal of experience to be qualified to conclude the FO is incompetent. Hey, this is the internet and everyone is welcome to an opinion but the insistence that such opinion is fact gets pretty old. I have interviewed hundreds of people who were not qualified to run an organization who thought they could do a better job of those in charge. It has been a rarity when the problem was not that they either did not have the requisite information or the required skill set to understand why certain decisions were made.

20. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    They only have Buxton and Stewart because they lost so much. Even now the team is leaving wins on the table thanks to running Correia out there, constructing the roster poorly, and so on.
    If you only think they have Buxton and Stewart, you haven't been paying attention.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast