Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: At Redwings Gwinnet Braves game, Meyer is really good

At Redwings Gwinnet Braves game, Meyer is really good

At the game last night, behind home plate so I could see Meyer's pitches. This guy is REALLY good. Two home team fans jotting all the stats for the game in the row in front of me, kept shaking their head at some of his pitches. The stadium radar gun was definitely the center of attention after a Meyer pitch. His mechanics for such a big guy is so clean and repeatable. What a sight to see a 6'9" frame with that long arm of his extend way back and uncoil some serious heat. I love it!!!!

Alex started out the first and second inning throwing 93-94, setting up his fastball, with some off speed, by the 3rd inning on, he was at 97-98. He seemed always in control. When he was in his pitchers count (which was most of the time) the batters had NO chance. On 1/1 or 1/2 counts, in came 83 to 87 mph curves or sliders. Bang, it was over, 8 strike outs.

Of the 4 hits (all singles) 3 of them were to right field by RH hitters. None were hard hit. It seemed every batter was late getting around on the pitch, trying to square up, fouling off between right field and 1st base. The fans out there were having a field day catching baseballs, all hooping and hollering. In fact, my son in law left me, to join in on the fun, over in that section. I didn't see him until end of 6th inning.

Meyer was breezing along great until the 6th inning. Finally, the Braves RH centerfielder was able to hit a ground single past Romero and Florimon. 1st hit all night to left field. The next batter he had his first walk, just missing off the plate with his off speed. That prompted a coach's visit to the mound (catcher and coach looked like midgets next to him). He then squared up to take on Mark Hamilton, the 1st basemen for the Braves, who has had a taste of the majors. I thought this was his most impressive performance of the night. I believe the count went to 2/2 (fastball, slider, curve), then he reared back and fired a chest high 98 mph heater, his 81st pitch. Hamilton tried to uncoil, hesitated a split second, and couldn't get the swing off. Meyer's 8th strike out and the end of the 6th inning. The stat guys in front of me were just shaking their heads.

He was done for the night after 6 innings. They didn't send him out for the 7th and I can see why. He seemed to tire some and loss a little control. It appears he needs to build some stamina. That lost time last year due to shoulder soreness seems to have set him back and the Twins appear cautious. He needs to play a full season and build some strength. My son in law, a huge Red Sox fan, said the potential is huge but needs to polish a few things up. Of course, he got all excited when Pressley, ex Red Sox prospect, came in to start the 7th.

It's too bad the Redwings only come to Atlanta area once a season, so I can't post more on first hand accounts but this was a fun game to watch. Twinssouth

2. These 4 users like twinssouth's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-08-2014), Dman (06-08-2014), nicksaviking (06-09-2014), Willihammer (06-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinssouth View Post
    At the game last night, behind home plate so I could see Meyer's pitches. This guy is REALLY good. Two home team fans jotting all the stats for the game in the row in front of me, kept shaking their head at some of his pitches. The stadium radar gun was definitely the center of attention after a Meyer pitch. His mechanics for such a big guy is so clean and repeatable. What a sight to see a 6'9" frame with that long arm of his extend way back and uncoil some serious heat. I love it!!!!

Alex started out the first and second inning throwing 93-94, setting up his fastball, with some off speed, by the 3rd inning on, he was at 97-98. He seemed always in control. When he was in his pitchers count (which was most of the time) the batters had NO chance. On 1/1 or 1/2 counts, in came 83 to 87 mph curves or sliders. Bang, it was over, 8 strike outs.

Of the 4 hits (all singles) 3 of them were to right field by RH hitters. None were hard hit. It seemed every batter was late getting around on the pitch, trying to square up, fouling off between right field and 1st base. The fans out there were having a field day catching baseballs, all hooping and hollering. In fact, my son in law left me, to join in on the fun, over in that section. I didn't see him until end of 6th inning.

Meyer was breezing along great until the 6th inning. Finally, the Braves RH centerfielder was able to hit a ground single past Romero and Florimon. 1st hit all night to left field. The next batter he had his first walk, just missing off the plate with his off speed. That prompted a coach's visit to the mound (catcher and coach looked like midgets next to him). He then squared up to take on Mark Hamilton, the 1st basemen for the Braves, who has had a taste of the majors. I thought this was his most impressive performance of the night. I believe the count went to 2/2 (fastball, slider, curve), then he reared back and fired a chest high 98 mph heater, his 81st pitch. Hamilton tried to uncoil, hesitated a split second, and couldn't get the swing off. Meyer's 8th strike out and the end of the 6th inning. The stat guys in front of me were just shaking their heads.

He was done for the night after 6 innings. They didn't send him out for the 7th and I can see why. He seemed to tire some and loss a little control. It appears he needs to build some stamina. That lost time last year due to shoulder soreness seems to have set him back and the Twins appear cautious. He needs to play a full season and build some strength. My son in law, a huge Red Sox fan, said the potential is huge but needs to polish a few things up. Of course, he got all excited when Pressley, ex Red Sox prospect, came in to start the 7th.

It's too bad the Redwings only come to Atlanta area once a season, so I can't post more on first hand accounts but this was a fun game to watch. Twinssouth
    Very, very insightful post. With everything else going on, you just raised the giddy quotient by 5 more ticks. Your update efforts on Meyer are much appreciated by us folks in Twinsnorth-land. Keep 'em comin'!

Thanks for the response. I just wish they played more games down here, so I could post more.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Very, very insightful post. With everything else going on, you just raised the giddy quotient by 5 more ticks. Your update efforts on Meyer are much appreciated by us folks in Twinsnorth-land. Keep 'em comin'!

The "Giddy Quotient." I like that!! Ha!!

6. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-09-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And yes, twinssouth, I really appreciated reading this, and I know our readers do as well. I actually posted your forum entry on twitter because it's always fun to read first-hand accounts of some of these guys.

8. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinssouth View Post
    He was done for the night after 6 innings. They didn't send him out for the 7th and I can see why. He seemed to tire some and loss a little control. It appears he needs to build some stamina. That lost time last year due to shoulder soreness seems to have set him back and the Twins appear cautious. He needs to play a full season and build some strength. My son in law, a huge Red Sox fan, said the potential is huge but needs to polish a few things up.
    His whole pro career suggests stamina issues. Only 129 IP in his first year, followed by 78 (plus AFL time) last year. He's only once completed 7 IP, and that was his 6th career pro start in low-A over two years ago. I'm sure a lot of this is caution now, but regardless of the reason, it's an issue at the moment.

If he really is this good, though, I'd say shift Correia or Deduno to the pen to promote Meyer, and let them serve a little bit as his "caddy" if 5-6 IP is his in-game limit at the moment, so you only burn through short relievers if the game is close. (Another long reliever should be beneficial to the whole staff too.) And if Meyer approaches his season innings limit, use him in the pen and/or for spot starts (don't we have some rainouts to make up?).

Thanks again for the write-up!