Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts following tonight's game

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Random thoughts following tonight's game

Mauer, Dozier, Hicks and Escobar have essentially the same season OBP after tonight's game (344-348).

Is Gardenhire platooning Hicks and Santana in CF? No. Must be a coincidence.

Gardenhire also realized his greatest fear. The Twins lost the DH today when Santana moved from DH to CF. In the future, he might be able to keep the DH by using Pinto there. Santana would be available to back up CF from the bench or maybe play him in CF and Hicks in RF. Both are hitting better than Kubel.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Mauer, Dozier, Hicks and Escobar have essentially the same season OBP after tonight's game (344-348).

Is Gardenhire platooning Hicks and Santana in CF? No. Must be a coincidence.

Gardenhire also realized his greatest fear. The Twins lost the DH today when Santana moved from DH to CF. In the future, he might be able to keep the DH by using Pinto there. Santana would be available to back up CF from the bench or maybe play him in CF and Hicks in RF. Both are hitting better than Kubel.
    Arguments made today:

1) Hughes is a flyball pitcher, in which case, Hicks gives you your best defense
    2) Hicks hits lefties fairly well
    3) Kubel had a strong career line against Keuchel
    4) Santana not playing for Arcia in RF means Gardy didn't think all of his options through fully
    Last edited by jokin; 06-07-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana playing CF should mean that he can play LF, at least better than Willingham. That was a ridiculous lineup he put out there tonight. Kubel's involvement was atrocious. What was the "career line" before tonight's game?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Jason Kubel needs to be DFA'd immediately. Thanks for the memories, but it's sad at this point. Call up Hermann or Fryer already and be done with it.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WHY IS EVERYONE HATING ON AARON HICKS!?!

He's getting on base at a good clip. Let him continue to figure out this hitting thing at the MLB level, getting on base 34% of the time is not the mark of someone who needs to get sent down.

I know you weren't arguing for that here, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to speak up for Hicks, who I think is a valuable member of this team, BA aside.

6. These 4 users like Paul Pleiss's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-07-2014), jorgenswest (06-07-2014), wagwan (06-08-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Paul, you've got it in three separate threads that Hicks is going to figure it out. He hasn't driven the ball at all for the two weeks he has been an exclusive RH batter. I don't think he will ever figure it out to a degree that his bat will play as a corner outfielder.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Santana playing CF should mean that he can play LF, at least better than Willingham. That was a ridiculous lineup he put out there tonight. Kubel's involvement was atrocious. What was the "career line" before tonight's game?
    I don't think so. He had played 24 games as a CFer and 2 games as a left fielder in his professional career. It is not easy moving from center to the corners. Kirby even struggled with it. Balls hook or slice and you have to learn how to track them before you can go get them. It is irresponsible to put a guy in a corner outfield spot who has barely ever played there in his career.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Hicks is the better defensive outfielder. He gets on base. His skills today helps this team more than Kubel or Parmelee. At 24, he will continue to improve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Paul, you've got it in three separate threads that Hicks is going to figure it out. He hasn't driven the ball at all for the two weeks he has been an exclusive RH batter. I don't think he will ever figure it out to a degree that his bat will play as a corner outfielder.
    I think you have to drive the ball to hit doubles. He hit a double last night. Is that enough? No. But don't exaggerate. I also think he needs a chance to play everyday, so I agree he should go down to get that chance. But he had 24 XBH in four months last year as a major leaguer. It's not like he can't do it.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks is the better defensive outfielder. He gets on base. His skills today helps this team more than Kubel or Parmelee. At 24, he will continue to improve.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I LOVE YOU, LET'S BE AARON HICKS BEST FRIENDS FOREVER.

But seriously, this is my feeling exactly. Santana is a SS, saying it's irresponsible to put him in a corner spot seems strange. Probably just as irresponsible to put him in CF.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I don't know that Hicks needs to profile as a corner guy. Play him in CF. he's the best CF on the roster, or in AA/AAA. He's can do it. He can. I promise
    This year he can't hit enough to stay in the majors. Next year, if he does figure it out somewhat as a hitter, he will be supplanted by Buxton and then will have no role with the Twins.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardenhire also realized his greatest fear. The Twins lost the DH today when Santana moved from DH to CF.
    I don't think Gardy fears having to do a little Managin' in the late innings. What he fears is losing his starting catcher in the second inning and having to move his DH there; that scenario means a likely pitcher AB or two for lack of better options (starter is pitching well, not enough bench bats, running through the bullpen quickly).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re: Hicks

This year he can't hit enough to stay in the majors.
    As of this morning, Aaron Hicks had a .344 OBP. Span's last seasons with the Twins were .331, .328 and .342.

So, did Span "hit" enough his last 3 seasons with the Twins?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

16. These 4 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (06-08-2014), DocBauer (06-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-07-2014), wagwan (06-08-2014)

Good point regarding the comparison of Span and Hick's OBP!

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks is in a bad position. An unfair position. He's been mishandled. He hasn't come close to reaching his potential as a guy with decent to good power potential.

And yet, despite all, he's actually made pitchers work and has gotten on base. And thus far, he actually seems to be hitting as an exclusively RH hitter.

I just don't know. But I'm not giving up on the kid. And I might be an idiot, but I have the feeling he'll learn more being up than down with our coaching staff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I think you have to drive the ball to hit doubles. He hit a double last night. Is that enough? No. But don't exaggerate. I also think he needs a chance to play everyday, so I agree he should go down to get that chance. But he had 24 XBH in four months last year as a major leaguer. It's not like he can't do it.
    Hicks' "drive" for a double was a soft humpbacked liner where Springer hesitated then dove for the ball and missed, hardly a ringing double.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Hicks' "drive" for a double was a soft humpbacked liner where Springer hesitated then dove for the ball and missed, hardly a ringing double.
    Pfft.....facts.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I grant you he hasn't been driving the ball this year the way he has in the past. Does that mean he won't in the future? His history suggests he has decent power from the right side. He's kind of feeling his way right now. I would hesitate to draw sweeping conclusions from his hitting this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I don't think Gardy fears having to do a little Managin' in the late innings. What he fears is losing his starting catcher in the second inning and having to move his DH there; that scenario means a likely pitcher AB or two for lack of better options (starter is pitching well, not enough bench bats, running through the bullpen quickly).
    Is it a reasonable fear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast