Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Report: Twins Agree to Sign Kendrys Morales

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The order won't matter as much as who is in the line up.

They can sit Mauer and DH Pinto against lefties where Pinto is catching.

This does not need to take away at bats from Pinto.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Wow. I am speechless. I approve of this move. Let's hope it means more changes to come.
    I'm with you Mike - pitching changes next please (Corriea, Guerrier, Burton and Duensing gone)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Morales also hit 3rd or 4th just about every game he played for the Mariners last year. With Santana leading off and Dozier hitting second, could this bump Mauer back down the lineup?

1 - Santana
    2 - Dozier
    3 - Morales
    4 - Willingham
    5 - Arcia
    6 - Plouffe
    7 - Mauer
    8 - Suzuki/Pinto
    9 - Escobar

That is a damn sexy lineup.
    It is sexier.. I like that you moved Mauer down the order; not his team anymore I might even put Arcia third and Morales fifth.

i am just real uneasy with Santana as a starting center fielder on a contending team. He's still so green. I am warming to him, but...

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    • LaVelle E. Neal III ‏@LaVelleNeal 30s
      Guessing Morales has to go to minors for awhile to get game ready.Twins source told me: ``I knew you would be stunned.'' No bleeping kidding

Stunned? Pretty much everyone, I would guess.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    When was the last time the Twins acquired a player as good as Morales during the season? Shannon Stewart?

How quickly you forget about one Bret Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    They would never acknowledge it until the Twins do. Which is lame.
    It's now on the Twins web site - you'd think they'd say something now

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I disagree. This is forward thinking if the Hammer is on the move. You can put Santana in LF with Morales DHing full-time. In the meantime, the deadwood that is Kubel, and possibly Parmelee are possibly bye-bye.

If the Twins are out of it on July 31, they flip him for another good prospect if Morales does well.
    I do think the signing provides cover for releasing Kubel. Now they can tell him they have no room, instead of making it about his ability.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    It's now on the Twins web site - you'd think they'd say something now
    Dick mentioned it a couple innings ago.

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I do think the signing provides cover for releasing Kubel. Now they can tell him they have no room, instead of making it about his ability.
    That's the other thing holding up an "official" announcement, apparently. They have to clear a space on the 40 man and aren't going to do that mid-game.

Also, they have a policy of waiting until the physical is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    It improves the team a bit. They still aren't contenders.

My concern though is - if you are a contender, how can you throw Hicks out there with no backup plan? If you are a contender, how can you keep throwing Correia with an ERA of 7?

It doesn't work to be half-in, half-out.
    My thought exactly. You can't sign Morales for 2014 and in the same breath claim that Santana needs to play center to gain experience, or that if Willingham stays hot you can move him and be sellers at the deadline, or that... and so on.

I'm not opposed to this signing I just don't know if it makes as much sense now, as it did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Gardy: "Well Kubes it's been nice, but we got a good player instead."

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bizarre move. It means less ABs for Pinto, which is a negative.
    OK Twins Daily posters. I look forward to your thoughts about this unforeseen move by the Twins. I really am shocked.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    ....or maybe more ABs for Pinto in Rochester?
    Pinto needs to bat and improve; AAA would be the best place for him. Who will be the second catcher? Hermann, I guess.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good signing, gets rid of another of Gardy's pets and puts some real offense on the field. Also allows Twins to flip some decent players if we fade out of the race. Other note Rosario back to the outfield does not bode well for Hicks.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    Pinto needs to bat and improve; AAA would be the best place for him. Who will be the second catcher? Hermann, I guess.
    Mostly Pinto needs to work on not throwing the ball into the outfield on stolen base attempts. It could be Rochester is the better place to master that skill. He's going to hit anywhere.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If this also means they hold onto guys like Suzuki rather than making trades, they would be putting a couple wins this year ahead of their long-term ability to contend. It's just another example of how the organization is unable to develop and follow a strategy... everything is ad hoc & reactive.
    Or a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Gardy: "Well Kubes it's been nice, but we got a good player instead."
    Ouch.

i don't think that's how it will go down.

18. These 3 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (06-07-2014), luckylager (06-07-2014), Oldgoat_MN (06-08-2014)

Morales in the OF?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Kubel and Parm are gone with the return of Fuld and the signing of Morales. There is no way he is going to be DH only, either. Some back up for Mauer and protection, after rearranging things, for any injuries to Willingham and/or Arcia. I certainly would like to see either Santana learn some LF or Hicks LF or RF. Neither one is ultimately the CF of the future, but I would like both in the lineup most of the time. The Twins now would have Willingham-Hicks-Arcia-Santana-Morales-Fuld-Mauer-Pinto for LF, CF, RF, DH, 1B (with Pinto getting increased C time and Santana getting some SS/2B time). Theoretically, Fuld-Santana-Hicks is possible in the OF late in games.

The bench just got significantly better.
    I realize that we'll play just about anyone out there these days, but Morales hasn't seen the outfield since 2008, and there's a reason for that. He'll DH, and will see occasional time at 1B.

Still -- a good signing.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It improves the team a bit. They still aren't contenders.

My concern though is - if you are a contender, how can you throw Hicks out there with no backup plan? If you are a contender, how can you keep throwing Correia with an ERA of 7?

It doesn't work to be half-in, half-out.
    I don't know what they are going to do about Hicks. He is hitting better, but still not well enough. Santana is an exciting player but I don't like that he is playing CF.

I believe pitching changes will come. There's no way they will continue to keep Correia, especially with how guys are doing in AAA.

The Twins are still in contention. This signing makes the lineup better. Maybe some more changes are coming.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Even if the Twins fall out of playoff contention in late August or early September. I just like the idea of the young talent like Sano, Buxton and Meyer coming up to a team with 78 wins than one coming off a 4th year of 90+ losses.

22. These 3 users like Pius Jefferson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-07-2014), Monkeypaws (06-07-2014)

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast