Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/7): The Meyer and Rosario Show

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/7): The Meyer and Rosario Show

Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I really don't think Correia has much rope left, even if he's probably been bit by a little bad luck. I'd also like to see Deduno go back to the pen so they can move up Meyer and May.

Too bad about Thorpe.

Nice that Rosario is hitting at AA (SSS). Let's hope he makes the Twins think hard about promoting him further.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Meyer on a pitch limit? It seems strange that he would be removed from this game after 6 innings when he was only at 81 pitches.

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I really don't think Correia has much rope left, even if he's probably been bit by a little bad luck. I'd also like to see Deduno go back to the pen so they can move up Meyer and May.

Too bad about Thorpe.

Nice that Rosario is hitting at AA (SSS). Let's hope he makes the Twins think hard about promoting him further.
    Deduno is no good in the pen and does not belong there. What he needs to do is to lower his pitch count so that he can consistently pitch six innings. Correia is the one to move out for Meyer or May.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know its only two games but looks like colabello is getting his stroke back. Does anybody know if he made an adjustment? Also nice to see Rosario off to a hot start. Nobody blocking him at AAA, how long does he stay at AA if he keeps killin it?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Is Meyer on a pitch limit? It seems strange that he would be removed from this game after 6 innings when he was only at 81 pitches.
    If you look at most games, they take him out with pitch count in the 80s, but May has been stretching out making him the logical choice to be called up first

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rosario could be the Twins LF next year. For the second year in a row Walker is leading the league in the power categories. Wow, there are exciting players at every level of the Twins farm system

8. This user likes TKGuy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bear333 View Post
    Correia is the one to move out for Meyer or May.
    I wonder if Correia would be any good out of the pen. If he didn't have to pace himself, maybe his heater would tick up to the mid 90's like Perkins. Just a thought.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    I wonder if Correia would be any good out of the pen. If he didn't have to pace himself, maybe his heater would tick up to the mid 90's like Perkins. Just a thought.
    Correia has been used as a reliever 131 times. He probably would be a better candidate to come in early in a game with runners on base than Deduno. He holds on runners well and his performance does not change as much as most with runners on base.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Yeah, 80 is about the limit at this point.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    If you look at most games, they take him out with pitch count in the 80s, but May has been stretching out making him the logical choice to be called up first
    May is also pitching much better and way more consistently.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Rosario could be the Twins LF next year. For the second year in a row Walker is leading the league in the power categories. Wow, there are exciting players at every level of the Twins farm system
    Yeah, Walker has been tremendous the last 4-5 weeks. And, the first time I saw him take BP last year in Cedar Rapids, you could see just how special his bat and his power were. As some have said, he looks the part of big league right fielder; a big, strong guy with good (not great) speed and a strong arm. I do think that he's improved his plate discipline this year and is walking at a higher rate.

As for Rosario, I think he'll be up in September, but I definitely think he could be starting left year in left... He may start the season as the starting CF (until another highly-touted prospect is ready).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I know its only two games but looks like colabello is getting his stroke back. Does anybody know if he made an adjustment? Also nice to see Rosario off to a hot start. Nobody blocking him at AAA, how long does he stay at AA if he keeps killin it?
    He now has a 6-game hitting streak in which he is hitting .364. It started with back-to-back games in which he went 1-2 with two walks. That patience may have been the secret, just relaxing again at the plate.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The hitch on Walker was he would not be able to utilize his power as he moved up the ranks because of his pitch recognition. Now his pitch recognition still needs work, but he has also shown that his power works as well.

Can a man who has a high K rate and low BB rate be successful even if he leads his league in HRs and RBI and TB every year? or even amongst the leaders in those categories.

Do you still think his lack of a strong OBP will become more detrimental to overall team makeup as opposed to his benefits with his run production? This is who the experts said he would be if he was successful - [.260 BA with power]

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He now has a 6-game hitting streak in which he is hitting .364. It started with back-to-back games in which he went 1-2 with two walks. That patience may have been the secret, just relaxing again at the plate.
    Thanks for the update on Cola, Seth- you're likely spot on. For all Chris has been through in his career, culminating in being at the very top of his profession by the end of April- he found out why hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, and fell, hard.

I don't think we've heard the last from Colabello. Let's hope there's a second act written for Chris that is as stirring as the first one.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Thanks for the update on Cola, Seth- you're likely spot on. For all Chris has been through in his career, culminating in being at the very top of his profession by the end of April- he found out why hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, and fell, hard.

I don't think we've heard the last from Colabello. Let's hope there's a second act written for Chris that is as stirring as the first one.
    I totally agree with you. I hope Cola gets another chance and can stick next time. Not sure what happened to him after the hot start. I know he is old but I still like his potential for a few years here.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Yeah, Walker has been tremendous the last 4-5 weeks. And, the first time I saw him take BP last year in Cedar Rapids, you could see just how special his bat and his power were. As some have said, he looks the part of big league right fielder; a big, strong guy with good (not great) speed and a strong arm.
    I thought I heard from multiple people that Walker had a below average arm when he was drafted?