Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official: Kubel Designated for Assignment

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanlake31 View Post
    Does anyone wanna take a stab at Gardy's speech when he informed Kubel that he was designated for assignment?
    Go ahead, you tell us.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Ryan did the stand up thing:

• Phil Miller ‏@MillerStrib 16m
      Ryan said telling Kubel he's being released was hard -- "He's made a lot of big contributions here." He & Kubel go back more than a decade.

3. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-08-2014)

I recognize that he was not his former self outside of the first two weeks of the season, but this makes me sad.

Outside of Morneau and Nathan, one of my favorite players of the 2000's. Thanks for the memories Kubes.
    Last edited by Puckett34; 06-08-2014 at 12:35 PM.

5. This user likes Puckett34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

boney (06-08-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Good luck to Jason. Very fond memories of his play......

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone wanna take a stab at Gardy's speech when he informed Kubel that he was designated for assignment?
    I expect it was short and to the point, with thanks for past contributions and for gritting it out through pain this season, and about how this is the part of the job he hates.

8. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

longstrangetrip (06-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 484 Times in 309 Posts
    The one Kubel moment i witnessed live was 6/10/'09. I was visiting Oakland, and stayin' with a friend within walking distance of the Coliseum. Top of the 8th, Twins down 3-2, Kubel hits a pinch hit home run to tie it, and then in the 9th, the Twins break through to win it.

Went lookin' for a video of it, but i guess it is old enough that they don't have it trivially on mlb.

Kubel is in limbo at most... 10 days? Hopefully he'll land on his feet before then? And there's a slim chance he may end up in Rochester?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Best of luck to him. I think his ML career is over but I wonder if he would go overseas to play?
    With $30 million total earnings from baseball and at least one kindergarten age son, I seriously doubt it...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    According to a tweet from FSN's Tyler Mason, the Twins have Designated Jason Kubel for Assignment.

Not a surprise. After such a strong start (2 weeks), he just hasn't hit.

It's hard to see someone who had so much success in a Twins uniform for a long time end up with this fate. It's more annoying to read and hear commenters bashing someone who has done so much for the organization over the years.
    Unfortunately he'll likely be remembered most for his playoffs performance in 2009 and 2010. Very sad to think what might have been if not for that freakish knee injury.
    Last edited by Marta Shearing; 06-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    He made me eat crow at the beginning of this year as he was hitting so well. I didn't think he was worthy of making the team out of spring training. I wish he would have made me eat crow the rest of the season. Was so happy when he was hitting well. Lot;s of great memories and I would guess he will get another chance somewhere else. Might have to prove himself in AAA somewhere first. Wish him the best.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Who goes down when Fuld is ready? Hicks? Parmelee?

I think Chicken Parm is the clear answer for demotion. Hicks is improving, and even with Fuld, I don't think you can lose Hicks. His BA is just a couple ticks below Pinto going into today...

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Unfortunately he'll likely be remembered most for his playoffs performance in 2009 and 2010. Very sad to think what might have been if not for that freakish knee injury.
    Not by me. I'll remember the slam.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I think Chicken Parm is the clear answer for demotion. Hicks is improving, and even with Fuld, I don't think you can lose Hicks. His BA is just a couple ticks below Pinto going into today...
    I think the plan is to option Hicks. Fuld and Santana can handle center, Hicks can work on facing right handers and maybe he'll be ready if Santana or Escobar fades.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're probably right, Hicks probably gets sent to AAA, but I don't think that's the right move. There's plenty of other dead weight on this team. Hicks needs to see major league caliber breaking pitches, and there are probably more of those at AA than AAA. Keep him in the big show, and run him out there 5+ days a week.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Thanks for posting, Seth. I actually have never seen that, as I was listening to that particular game on a radio in upstate NY. I always assumed that Mariano missed his spot, but he actually put it right where he wanted to...that same cutter running in on the fists that got out so many hitters over the years. Just a great job of hitting by Kubes in his greatest moment. He was terrible this year and this move had to be made, but he was one of the good guys and I will always remember him favorably.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

19. This user likes kydoty's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    It seems like Kubel was good for at least one clutch grand slam a season. Lots of good memories.

My best guess (starting at :50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1OUPPiduI

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    My best guess (starting at :50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1OUPPiduI
    "How do you think *I* feel? Kubes, you're my favorite ballplayer of all time." - R. Clyde Gardenhire, June 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    "How do you think *I* feel? Kubes, you're my favorite ballplayer of all time." - R. Clyde Gardenhire, June 2014
    "My friend Scotty offered me a Nicky Punto and a Matty Guerrier card for you and I wouldn't do it!"

24. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I don't think we've seen the last of Kubel. The Twins have got to be among the best teams at retaining a relationship with their past players. Coaching, advising or broadcasting, it seems the team will always find room for an ex player if the player is interested in sticking with baseball.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast