Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 2015 MLB Draft Thread

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries

2015 MLB Draft Thread

Well, 2014 is in the books. The Bleacher Report has already posted a mock draft for 2015. It's a bit early for anything other than speculation. The draft seems pretty heavy in pitching and middle infielders, both of which are always in high demand. They mocked the Twins taking another HS SS.

Should note, I really want the Twins to take Skye Bolt... not for anything mentioned in the scouting report, but because of the name. I think RiverBrian could have some fun in game threads with that name.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An outfield with Zack Granite and Skye Bolt could be fun.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You kidding right? 2015 draft already? I didnt think our team was that bad

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I never click on Bleacher Report propaganda because I hate slideshows but I couldn't help myself. This was not a slideshow. Is that new? Did those click hungry hacks finally do away with those?

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also try to avoid Bleacher Report, but they've been hiring some people who are good at WRITING, and are using all those clicks to generate money and better content. They're becoming a force. Hopefully they don't choose the dark side.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I think last year someone started a 2014 thread the day before the 2013 draft, so this is an improvement.
    There was a lot of talk about how the 2014 draft was week on college hitter because teams spent a lot 3 years before on high schoolers. It will be interesting to see if hitters pop back next year. Looking at the GCL and the DSL Twins they have a lot of corner Infielders. Depending who they sign on the international markets, I expect them to go BPA for the top rounds again, Then heavy on pitching and outfielders, to help fill out the ranks.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I also try to avoid Bleacher Report, but they've been hiring some people who are good at WRITING, and are using all those clicks to generate money and better content. They're becoming a force. Hopefully they don't choose the dark side.
    You know what's fantastic about that Bleacher Report mock? It's almost a carbon copy of Perfect Game's Top 30 of their Top 200 rankings (that were done in December). The first 12 names in the draft are the same 12 (only in different order), then dude got lazy at 13 and just listed the next 17 guys in the same order that PG had them. To throw readers off the scent, the 30th pick was actually ranked #44.

I figured it was fishy when they failed to include Mike Matuella, a pitcher from Duke, who BA called an early favorite to go 1.1. Matuella was in the 60's of this list (that was done BEFORE the college season).

9. These 4 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-08-2014), chuchadoro (06-09-2014), maxisagod (06-09-2014), Willihammer (06-09-2014)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    So what you meant Paul was good at COPYING.

11. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Just as long as they don't go heavy on relief pitching...

It will be interesting to see if the Twins end up closer to the middle of the draft next season. A lot of things change at that point. I really liked Shipley, Touki and Holmes the last 2 years but it was too early to pick them at 4/5. Taking them at #13 would have been great. Newcomb was another guy that dropped.

I also would have no problems if they picked another SS. Several of these guys aren't total locks to stick at SS and no team ever said we have too many MI'ers and nobody will trade for them.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    ... Mike Matuella, a pitcher from Duke, who BA called an early favorite to go 1.1. ...
    I do love a guy who can throw a good 12-6 curve and a slider, his fastball has good cut and speed, but he needs to work on that change up, he throws it too hard for it to be a useful pitch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Which website has the best analysis of the Twins 2014 draft? Outside of Twins Daily of course.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Which website has the best analysis of the Twins 2014 draft? Outside of Twins Daily of course.
    http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/6/6...14-first-round

It's terrific.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Sickles and Crawford are both working on draft write ups. Not sure why the Twins ones will be up but hopefully in the next week or two.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I said something similar in the 2014 thread, and was told, that this is the minor league forum... never too early to talk draft