Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: The Rundown: Morales and Contending in 2014 (and 2015)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: The Rundown: Morales and Contending in 2014 (and 2015)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    As long as they COMMIT to their strategy, and don't go half way.....

Love the move - hope they can get him in the lineup during this road trip - my fear is that they will be out of the running by the end of it.

Worst case is that Morales could be a trade chip at the deadline.

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    It's always best to have as many weapons as possible, just in case things fall into place. Arcia could put everything together and be a star. Willingham could revert to 2012 form (or something close to it.) Giving up switch-hitting could turn Hicks into an OBP king. Dozier has been this good long enough now that he might really be this good. Mauer could turn back into Mauer. Plouffe's improvements could be real. The rotation should be better than it has been. Correia could go on the 60-day with a left pinky strain. (I don't want him really hurt; I just want him to stop hurting the team.) The catchers could continue to be good (although it's unlikely Suzuki will be as good as he has been so far.) Escobar could really be at least a league-average SS. (He's 25 - he might end up even better than that.)

All that's needed to contend is for a couple of slots to take realistic steps forward (1B, DH, CF, starting rotation) and the rest to continue as they have been (C, 2B, SS, 3B, bullpen) and the guys who just returned from injuries to play well (LF, RF). I'd say all of those things are at least 50-50, and some are pretty likely. I could see this team getting hot and possibly contending for a division title.

I love the Morales signing, the Twins needed another bat to help with the dismal offensive showing that has been on display so far this year.

What I hope comes out of the signing is that Morales holds down the DH spot and forces Gardy to play our guys where they belong on the field and not play musical positions night in and night out. INF playing in the OF and OF playing in the INF gets old, real fast.

I think the boys play in the best division in baseball for us to try to rebuild during the year and still hang in there and at least shoot for a Wild Card birth.

I am not saying that one signing is going to change everything around and we are going to take off, but the fact that they are making moves, definitely gives off hope that they are in for a fight this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Can somebody please find a Jersey that fits Mr. Morales. You could clearly hear the Toronto Fans chanting "Tuck in your shirt, Tuck in your shirt" No Joke.
    Last edited by Highabove; 06-11-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Can somebody please find a Jersey that fits Mr. Morales. You could clearly hear the Toronto Fans chanting "Tuck in your shirt, Tuck in your shirt" No Joke.
    Based on what we've seen so far from him, he can wear his oversized jersey however he wants. Who really cares, other than the opposing team's fans?

Not every MLB player can have a well-fitting uniform and an impeccable studly mustache.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    I find it humorous, not serious.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    It's always best to have as many weapons as possible, just in case things fall into place. Arcia could put everything together and be a star. Willingham could revert to 2012 form (or something close to it.) Giving up switch-hitting could turn Hicks into an OBP king. Dozier has been this good long enough now that he might really be this good. Mauer could turn back into Mauer. Plouffe's improvements could be real. The rotation should be better than it has been. Correia could go on the 60-day with a left pinky strain. (I don't want him really hurt; I just want him to stop hurting the team.) The catchers could continue to be good (although it's unlikely Suzuki will be as good as he has been so far.) Escobar could really be at least a league-average SS. (He's 25 - he might end up even better than that.)

All that's needed to contend is for a couple of slots to take realistic steps forward (1B, DH, CF, starting rotation) and the rest to continue as they have been (C, 2B, SS, 3B, bullpen) and the guys who just returned from injuries to play well (LF, RF). I'd say all of those things are at least 50-50, and some are pretty likely. I could see this team getting hot and possibly contending for a division title.
    This. Not 100%, but this.

You don't have to burn down the barn to rebuild.

Willingham and Arcia make our offense much better and more dangerous.

Morales solidifies our DH spot and gives a solid backup to Mauer on occasion.

Re-signing Morales wouldn't be a bad thing as he keeps the DH spot warm for Vargas sometime over the next half season plus.

Second half of the season, Correia gone, a reliever or two gone, a couple truly talented pitchers getting their shot, plus more in September, wwe're building for 2015 without sacrificing 2014.

Mauer turning back in to Mauer is a big cog. Not only this season but next.

We're not that far away. And after the last 3 seasons, I am about winning, being competitive, while still looking to tomorrow.