Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Morales Signing Signals Shift in Twins' Mindset

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Morales Signing Signals Shift in Twins' Mindset

Love the move - if you can hang around toward the All-Star Break, it probably means Morales is making an impact. If the Twins struggle to get back to .500 or better in the next month or so, he's a veteran that many teams would like to have for a playoff run and we can then turn it into some kind of prospect. I'd say it was a win-win signing for the Twins!

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Per Tom Powers:

To me, either you're in or you're out. Ryan and the front office indicated they were in by signing Morales. They will indicate otherwise if the Twins go through the rotation a couple more times with similar results and make no internal moves. The Morales signing fills a vital need but the pitching, overall, remains subpar.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...bolster-roster

I agree with this 100%. We've got to see more changes -- and we've got to see them soon.

4. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nathanaakre (06-09-2014)

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Per Tom Powers:

To me, either you're in or you're out. Ryan and the front office indicated they were in by signing Morales. They will indicate otherwise if the Twins go through the rotation a couple more times with similar results and make no internal moves. The Morales signing fills a vital need but the pitching, overall, remains subpar.

I agree with this 100%. We've got to see more changes -- and we've got to see them soon.
    I also liked that Tom Powers article. It's great to see the mindset change and the shuffling roster has been entertaining. Still not a huge Twins FO fan but could be swayed by more moves condusive to scrapping useless veterans and winning.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Per Tom Powers:

Agreed. This team cannot win with the rotation in its current state. Hopefully the Morales signing is just the beginning of change.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Super Two deadline is now-ish, right? Meyer and May, get up here. Let's do this. Nobody wants to see Correia vs. the Blue Jays in 2 days...

8. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (06-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I don't see any actual evidence their mindset has changed. In the off-season they signed the biggest FA deal in Twins history, and even Hughes' contract was large by their standards. Of course they also punted CF and SS and the back of the rotation.

Same deal as now. Make an uncharacteristic signing, while sticking with Correia and ad libbing in CF. Same mixed bag as before.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correct... the Twins have been pretty aggressive in free agency this offseason, but also in the offseason when they very quickly brought in Willingham, Doumit and Carroll. Granted, Nolasco, Hughes and now Morales are certainly more high profile and well compensated, but the Twins have clearly been pushing for awhile.

I'm as big a prospect guy as their is, but this is a good move. Sure, some may want Vargas up, but he's not ready. Morales gets them through this season which is good for Vargas, but also good for the Twins and the fans.

As others have said, more needs to happen. The first move should be Trevor May for Kevin Correia. I'd wait a bit yet on Deduno/Meyer, but no more than a month if 1.) Deduno pitches like yesterday and 2.) Meyer is still on the 80 pitch limit.

But to the point of Nick's article, the idea is win now, and as a long-time Twins fan, that is exciting for me. I love the prospect of prospects, but the big league club is the one I watch and it's been a hard three years. This year has been so much better, so much more competitive.

11. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-09-2014)

I'm honestly torn on this one. On the one hand I like that it is only a one year deal for a guy that could be borderline great and that it means the FO is serious about putting a good team together this season. On the other it is a lot of money for a rental on a guy that hasn't been the same since the injury for a team that is a year or two away from being legitimate contenders and who will be taking valuable playing time away from guys who we need to be developed by that time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if it's really a change in mindset (or at least that sudden of one). They were stalking for bargains with Garza and Ervin Santana late in the offseason, probably were doing the same for Morales and Drew too. That's a welcome step forward, hopefully it continues and we actually start landing some of these guys before June.

The difference this year may have been opportunity -- where in past seasons, the Twins first choice (flier on Kubel and audition for Colabello) could have created a season-long black hole or merry-go-round at the position, this year they actually had the opportunity to sign a replacement in June (thanks, Scott Boras and the current comp system!). If Morales had not been freely available, I doubt the Twins would have made a similar move in trade.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    I don't see any actual evidence their mindset has changed. In the off-season they signed the biggest FA deal in Twins history, and even Hughes' contract was large by their standards. Of course they also punted CF and SS and the back of the rotation.

Same deal as now. Make an uncharacteristic signing, while sticking with Correia and ad libbing in CF. Same mixed bag as before.
    It was one move. Morales can't pitch, he can only replace Kubel and the current DH options.

On its own, the Morales signing was pretty exciting... it has nothing to do with any of the rest of those things. And no one, including the Twins, would tell you that it does.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    If nothing else the Morales signing should be exciting because it's atypical of this team.

16. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (06-09-2014), USAFChief (06-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As others have said, more needs to happen. The first move should be Trevor May for Kevin Correia. I'd wait a bit yet on Deduno/Meyer, but no more than a month if 1.) Deduno pitches like yesterday and 2.) Meyer is still on the 80 pitch limit..
    How about we bring up May for Kevin C.

Then bring up Meyer and cut a reliever. Deduno goes about 4-5 innings per start. Why not start Meyer every fifth day and give Deduno innings 6-9. The pen gets a rest and our team gets better.

I would rather see Meyer up than May, but if he can only throw 80 pitches, this seems like a good compromise.

18. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

whatever54 (06-09-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As others have said, more needs to happen. The first move should be Trevor May for Kevin Correia. I'd wait a bit yet on Deduno/Meyer, but no more than a month if 1.) Deduno pitches like yesterday and 2.) Meyer is still on the 80 pitch limit.
    Agreed on May/Correia but I'd give Deduno one more start and then evaluate. I like Sam but I see three issues:

1. He pitched well in the pen and can certainly go back to that role

2. He struggles to go deep into games

3. Meyer needs some MLB exposure, particularly if he's on an innings limit

There's nothing stopping this team from bringing up Meyer in 10-12 days, letting him get 8-10 starts, and then giving his spot either back to Sam or bringing up a guy like Johnson to finish out the season.

Lots of options to serve this team's needs in both the short- and long-term.

But really, I'm also okay with Deduno getting several more starts... But Correia needs to go yesterday.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Darnell, Johnson and Pino have all pitched better than Meyer. At least two are likely to be able to go deeper into games. Why is Meyer on an 80 pitch limit? If they want to keep him on an 80 pitch limit wouldn't it make more sense to bring him up in long relief? I made the argument that keeping Correia could be justified (not to be confused with what I want to happen) if he continued to trend in the right direction. His last start did not go that way and I think he is done if his next start also goes south. What if he throws a Bert Blyleven defined quality start against the Blue Jays?

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post

They signed the biggest FA deal in team history but they had taken $20+ million off the books by cutting bait on Morneau, Blackburn, and Doumit and their needs at pitching were so painfully obvious that the SP signings this off-season were more of a relief than a surprise. The Morales signing is a pretty genuine shocker.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    It's a good thing to bring in players that are better than what we have. On the other hand there are 11 teams with better records and only 3 with worse records in the AL.

Is it realistic to think this makes them a playoff team I'd say no.

Now if they really really think they are, the thing to do is go get David Price from the Rays. It won't be cheap but if you are really serious about this "win now" approach that move would show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Darnell, Johnson and Pino have all pitched better than Meyer. At least two are likely to be able to go deeper into games. Why is Meyer on an 80 pitch limit? If they want to keep him on an 80 pitch limit wouldn't it make more sense to bring him up in long relief? I made the argument that keeping Correia could be justified (not to be confused with what I want to happen) if he continued to trend in the right direction. His last start did not go that way and I think he is done if his next start also goes south. What if he throws a Bert Blyleven defined quality start against the Blue Jays?
    Does not really matter if those three have pitched better than Meyer. He still has the much higher ceiling. In the end, Meyer will be the force in the rotation. He should get started on that as soon as possible. He is 24.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    3. Meyer needs some MLB exposure, particularly if he's on an innings limit
    This is pivotal that the Twins do at some point soon. Gibson (despite some funky home/road splits) has been good this year. We need to give Meyer a taste this year as an investment for next year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    In my mind you have to praise the Twins for the mindset change here. They very easily could have pocketed this money and trotted Kubel, Parmalee, Colabello, Pinto, ect.... out for DH for the remainder of the season.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast