Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Top 10 Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Top 10 Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    No Vargas, Romero, Gonsalves, Burdi, Diaz, Walker, Kepler.....

There's a lot of talent here. Let's hope a bunch of it translates to the majors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    I have a question about Kohl that would help me figure out where he should be ranked. How many sliders is he throwing? I have heard none, I have heard a few? If he is only throwing 5-10 sliders per outing or less, I think his numbers are phenomenal.

He has never focused solely on baseball until this year and we have taken his best pitch away from him. And he has a 2.67 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 6.2 K per 9 and only one HR. If the slider is as good as advertised, he could probably mow batters down with it, but to put up these numbers primarily through two pitches is very encouraging to me.

I would put him ahead of Gordon and Berrios if he is really throwing only a few sliders.

I could be talked into Meyer over Sano too. I am high on Sano, but potential ace versus a great hitter that is not going to hit for average of provide much value defensively.....
    Last edited by tobi0040; 06-10-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    That looks about right. You could argue that May could be a slot or two higher. I think I'd put Burdi 10th.

Burdi

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    That looks about right. You could argue that May could be a slot or two higher. I think I'd put Burdi 10th.
    I agree I would put Burdi over Thorpe just based on possible arrival time to help the MLB team. Burdi could be a quick riser with his two quality pitches and into the Twins Bullpen before we know it.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight; I wish I May, I wish I Meyer, have the wish I wish tonight.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a Dominican, I don't Sano can go to the Arizona Fall League

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think your top 10 is made up of the right people. We could quibble about rankings. For example, I would rank Gordon (who hasn't played an inning yet) behind Berrios. I could see May a couple of notches higher.

The Twins' farm system is so well stocked that I couldn't put a college reliever in the Top 10

9. This user likes Lonestar's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (06-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    I still have Stewart at #4 with Gordon sliding in at #5. I don't see the point of getting worried after 55 innings about one stat, in low A, for a 19 year old who had never focused on baseball before vs older competition. Kid has premium stuff.

Would it make more sense for the Twins to bring up both May and Meyer and put them in the bullpen for the rest of this season? That way they can pith the whole season and not worry about being shut down early. Seems like they would be more valuable that way. Then, the Twins could possibly even start them in AAA next year to stretch them out if they needed to buy more time on their clocks. They also would not have to cut bait on any of our starters right now that we overpaid for, but instead get rid of our worst two bullpen arms.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ShouldaCouldaWoulda View Post
    Would it make more sense for the Twins to bring up both May and Meyer and put them in the bullpen for the rest of this season? That way they can pith the whole season and not worry about being shut down early. Seems like they would be more valuable that way. Then, the Twins could possibly even start them in AAA next year to stretch them out if they needed to buy more time on their clocks. They also would not have to cut bait on any of our starters right now that we overpaid for, but instead get rid of our worst two bullpen arms.
    Meyer will probably get some BP time this year - he's on a pitch and innings limit but May doesn't have that problem. He's a workhorse. He's pitched 150 innings each of the last 3 seasons + some AFL time last year. He could pitch 200 innings this year and not be a concern.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I still have Stewart at #4 with Gordon sliding in at #5. I don't see the point of getting worried after 55 innings about one stat, in low A, for a 19 year old who had never focused on baseball before vs older competition. Kid has premium stuff.
    I have no concerns over Stewart - love him and think he's a top 35-40 prospect in all baseball. Just like Gordon more.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everything that I've read about Stewart this season indicates that he has been foregoing his slider, which is his strikeout pitch, to develop his change.

Are there any good scouting videos on Gordon out there? The one on MLB.com just shows him hitting some grounders. It would be nice to see what he looks like in the field, and maybe taking some cuts in BP.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    As a Dominican, I don't Sano can go to the Arizona Fall League
    He can IF his team there allows him to... Not sure if they would or not, probably would.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your list looks a lot different that mine, and not only on the top

(Polanco is a ShortStop until further notice. Not a 2B, btw, has not played a single inning at second this season)

I still do not get what Vargas needs to do to get consideration from certain people. He is hitting .319/.394/.505 in New Britain at an age 1.5 years younger than the average EL age (he is 23). For comparison's sake, Justin Morneau's career line in New Britain was: .293/.351/.475 (most at age 22.)

Ranking a high school kid who has holes in his play (plate discipline and contact) number four in this loaded system, is pretty tough to accept...

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am soon posting mine, and it looks a little different than both of yours. But Thrylos is right about Vargas. Maybe not quite that high, given the difference between starting pitching and 1B/DH, but it is pretty obvious that Vargas is a top 10 prospect. I think that we might be able to look at Morales as the stop-gap for what Vargas might actually be. There are some similarities there.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I think that we might be able to look at Morales as the stop-gap for what Vargas might actually be. There are some similarities there.
    indeed I think that I've heard that somewhere too:

Kennys will likely replace Kendrys as the full time DH in 2015
    looking forward to your list Shane
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    There isn't a huge difference in value between CF and 2B. Especially when most analysis said that Rosario played a tolerable 2B.

VARGAS!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Thrylos;241427Ranking a high school kid who has holes in his play (plate discipline and contact) number four in this loaded system, is pretty tough to accept...[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I am excited about Gordon, but new doesn't always mean better. He and Kohl were drafted basically in the same place and Kohl seemed farther along, i.e. Gordon needs his hit/power tool to develop. I think we are making way too big of a deal about Kohl's 6.5 K per 9, given his age, the fact that he has never been a full time pitcher, is not using his best pitch, and has pretty amazing numbers outside of the K's.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Not excited about Fuld at all. Would prefer to keep Hicks out there but what would Rosario have to do to get promoted to Twins center fielder in the next 6 weeks or so?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast