Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correia's last stand?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts

Correia's last stand?

With the recent pickup of Morales and the slight slide the Twins are on, it is clear they need to start winning games now.

If Correia goes out and throws a turd (4+ ER in 5IP or so), what do you think the chances are that we see Johnson or someone else take his next start?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think Deduno is back to the pen first. And May is the guy they bring up.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think May comes up if Correia tanks. They are matched up rotation wise. I think the Twins have been getting ready for it.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

4. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    May is on Corrias rotation. The switch could be painless. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see corria and burton released and deduno to the bullpen and 2 of meyer may and johnson called up to the rotationwith one of Burdi, archer ,, or pino tskin the bullpen spot

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Yes tonight is Correia's last stand. I can understand the feelings about ditching Deduno also, though I think he's quirky and barely effective enough to keep in the rotation a little longer. But he doesn't belong in the bullpen in anything other than a long man, mop up role.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    You can only remove one of these guys from the rotation. There's no guarantee that Johnson or May are actually better and if they need to be sent down the team is setup to cycle through a bunch of mediocre AAAA starters. Deduno/Correia have not been great but there are worse options. Correia is actually the same pitcher as last year he is just having trouble stranding runners this year.

Obviously Meyer is the guy everyone wants up and I want him up also but all indications are that he won't be in the starting rotation at the end of the season.

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I think May comes up if Correia tanks. They are matched up rotation wise. I think the Twins have been getting ready for it.
    He's on the 40, has had better control than Meyer so far (walks≠Twins way), and is past Super Two'sday. Done and done, provided they feel he's ready to replace the guy who's "getting paid good money" to start.

btw, kab is right about Correia's peripherals being in line with 2013, and it wouldn't be surprising if his ERA came down if he continued to do so. What would be surprising would be if that actually helped the Twins accomplish anything significant. May needs to come up if he has nothing left to work on at AAA, regardless of Correia making $5 million, or 10 for that matter.

Now $12 million, that's a whole different ball game.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 06-10-2014 at 06:44 PM.

9. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-11-2014), Ultima Ratio (06-10-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think so. If he tosses another clunker (probable, against this Jays lineup) I don't think the Twins will wait to make a move. 2-7 with the worst numbers of any AL starter shouldn't warrant him any longer of a leash than he's already gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    worst numbers of any AL starter
    And even a good game tonight won't change that much. If one of the new guys in the minors can't come up and outperform him, well then we're in deep doo doo.

And there he goes and walks the bases loaded.

It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see corria and burton released and deduno to the bullpen and 2 of meyer may and johnson called up to the rotationwith one of Burdi, archer ,, or pino tskin the bullpen spot
    Burdi has not been signed yet and would most likely be several years before being ready for the major leagues. Archer and Pino are not on the 40 man roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    Burdi has not been signed yet and would most likely be several years before being ready for the major leagues. Archer and Pino are not on the 40 man roster.
    Burdi is not several years away. We should see him by next year at the latest. And this year is possible.

14. These 2 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-11-2014), Steve Lein (06-11-2014)

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    He throws 100 and already has a wicked breaking ball. He can control both pitches, what more does the kid need to be a dominating reliever?

Senior Member All-Star
    and Correia tosses a gem. Welcome to one more month of KC.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Yep no way they will move him now after all he is on his way up. He gave up no runs tonight and went six. Hard to improve on that even if you are Trevor May.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Just when you think he's done and it's time to move on, he pitches a couple pretty good games. Then the throws another absolute clunker. Then he tosses a shutout tonight. I just don't know what to think. How can you can a guy that does that?

Dedunos last start was also bad. But I'm willing to give him a little more time. Hs just wild enough that bad innings and a bad start will happen. But he showed flashes in 2012 and was our best starter for about 3 months last season. Now he's getting stretched out back in the rotation again. I think you have to make an allowance and give him at least a few more starts.

I believe I'm in agreement that May is the first one up when the time comes. But I'm not in favor of he and Meyer at the same time. When there's a spot, I believe you make a decision on one for the time being. Run with that guy, work with him, get his feet wet, then bring up the other when the opportunity arises. A little moderation, I believe, allows for an easier transition.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Well, I like how he pitched in the later innings, but Correia got a bit lucky to throw a shutout. Especially in the first two innings

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can only remove one of these guys from the rotation. There's no guarantee that Johnson or May are actually better and if they need to be sent down the team is setup to cycle through a bunch of mediocre AAAA starters. Deduno/Correia have not been great but there are worse options. Correia is actually the same pitcher as last year he is just having trouble stranding runners this year.

Obviously Meyer is the guy everyone wants up and I want him up also but all indications are that he won't be in the starting rotation at the end of the season.

And tonight's big winner IZZZ... kab 21. Well played, SIR!

(Sorry I didn't have time for imprinting, but hey, it's the thought that counts, right? Probably one you won't post too conspicuously on your mantle.)

Last edited by jokin; 06-11-2014 at 10:04 AM.

21. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-11-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Twins Win> Correia still here

Twins lose> Correia not here

23. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-11-2014)

Deduno is the first one out, KC just gave himself more rope, and honestly he has earned it. He has been better over the last 5 or so starts (or that could be Gardy seeing he's done for the night a little better) there is still the thought the he is an asset that can be traded if he continues to be average! who knows, and knowing its a long shot, a very long shot maybe they give Swarzek a few starts! highly doubt it, but for better or for worse the way they worked Gibson into the fold last year, would be good for both Meyer and May. more so Meyer knowing he's on an innings/pitch limit this year, I seriously doubt Meyer is up before september if at all this year.

I think we Really need to think though, how bad the last 3 yrs have been, between injuries and just plain terrible pitchers. The Twins have only had 6 starting pitchers, and yes I know Johnson made a start this year but that was to ensure everyone stayed and regular rest and it was the 2nd game of a double header. Really think hard, how long has it been since the Twins had 6 or fewer starters make 5 or more starts to this point in the season? 4 of which havnt missed a turn. There's another stat, whens the last time they had their top 4 starters not miss a turn to this point in the year? Deduno has run his course in my mind, yes he was decent last year and part of the year before, but he has a fairly significant injury history, he has only had 2 starts where he's gone 6 IP, his second and third starts respectivly, he has shown flashes, but so did Ponder, and we all know where that has ended, they wanted him as their long guy for a reason, short, inconsistant starts and injuries, plus they were hoping to protect him a bit. They will more then likely outright him at the end of the month or shortly there after unless he turns it around, and its unlikely that he gets claimed. Not a big loss if he is. They do have options, that are looking closer and closer to being ready with every start they make. If May continues to keep walks down and continues to be consistant, he will be the next one up. The only way May isn't is either and injury, or they need someone to make a spot start, then its probably Johnson.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Just when we thought Correia was out . . .
    5057d1371764998-upcoming-skill-trait-changes-35zuqt.jpg

26. These 2 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-11-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-11-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast