Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: When Will Josmil Pinto Be Sent Down?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I think it has to be Fryer - Herrmann is still listed on the DL. Bye-the-bye Herrmann is also listed as an OF'er. If he wasn't injured, I suspect they would have brought him up as an extra CF option if Hicks goes on the DL.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 814 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know a few people have mentioned it, but here's the link. Pinto to Rochester.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Mauer?
    We're talking realistic options here, not washed-up has-beens. </sarc>

4. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-13-2014)

Pinto is a nice player. He may not be Johnny Bench, but he's not the Edward Scissorhands some of the posts seem to imply. One player that he may be similar to is John Jaso, a good hitting, below-average fielding catcher that the first place Oakland Athletics thought was a better choice than . . . Kurt Suzuki.

If you show confidence in young players and be regular with how you play them, they will have a better shot at producing. On the other hand, if you grumble about them and yo-yo their playing time, then, surprise, surprise, surprise, their performance often slips.

Suzuki is having his best year in years, in fact, the best BABIP, OBP and OPS of his career, yet he's still just a league-average fielder at best, and a likely candidate for regression to the mean at the bat. That's probably why we aren't aware of meaningful contract talks. Pinto has a much better chance of having a better future and, if shown confidence and given a regular role, could have a better chance to positively impact the rest of the 2014 season.

The way the Twins regularly favor journeyman veterans over promising young players is probably my least favorite thing about how the team is run. I do like the Morales signing, because it improves the lineup, but I think the lineup would be even stronger with Pinto in it than with Suzuki. Hopefully, this move is not too deflating to Pinto and he rakes in Rochester, then comes back as the regular catcher later in the year to improve the lineup when Suzuki hits his likely reversion.

Liked 1,286 Times in 743 Posts
    Interesting story on the Pinto demotion from Derek Wetmore:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/S...e_minors061114

7. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One aspect of this is, what does Pinto think? I'm sure he wants to play more, but I'm sure he also appreciates the MLB salary and accommodations.

Given his recent struggles, it's probably best to send him down to get his bat clicking, but I would recall him as soon as that happens, even if it's just to be a twice a week backup catcher. The best players deserve to be in MLB, and I want the best players available on this team.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,591 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

I accidentally read the comments on that article but doing so revealed this gem:

"Kurt Suzuki's refusal to regress in a timely manner is hurting the future of this team."

I LOLed.

10. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (06-12-2014), USAFChief (06-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    This is actually long overdue. My opinion was that he (along with Hicks) should have started the season in Rochester. If he ever is going to be acceptable defensively, he needs to play and play a lot. He has much work ahead of him if he is going to avoid ending up as a DH. Let him play regularly so when he comes back, he comes back as the primary catcher with KS as his backup. I really have to say that the notion of him becoming a better catcher sitting on the bench talking to Steinbach is kind of silly. Young players get better by playing - pure and simple.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 814 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Badler's tweet was interesting. I'm not sure the Twins have soured on Pinto nearly as much as they see work that needs to be done and think he'd benefit more from it playing every day in AAA. Hard to blame them. Kurt Suzuki has clearly run with the job.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries

He completely ignored trends. Pinto is hitting .125/.147/.250/.397 over his last 28. At this moment, he is clearly not one of "the Twins best hitters."
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    He completely ignored trends. Pinto is hitting .125/.147/.250/.397 over his last 28. At this moment, he is clearly not one of "the Twins best hitters."
    I would hope the Twins ignore the data also. Data in small sample sizes has no predictive value and should be ignored. If using data to determine the Twins best hitters, you would need to grab the last 200 plate appearances to consider strike out rate, walk rate and isolated power.

Observation of his catching skills and in particular throwing should not be ignored. His skill has dropped since last fall. If Suzuki is injured, he is the Twins only good option to be the regular catcher. Going to Rochester and catching regularly will hopefully help Pinto get back to his 2013 skill level defensively and be more ready to help if needed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234