Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Berrios

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts

Berrios

Jason Parks - prospect guru at BP - tweeted that he was headed down to watch Berrios pitch tonight.

And here are those observations...

Chris King @StatsKing ∑ 18h
    Looking back at my chart for Berrios, it's crazy how he locates down and to both sides with all pitches. Rarely finds the heart of the plate

Chris King @StatsKing ∑ 19h
    Sano just sat down in front of me. Any messages you guys want me to pass on to him?

Berrios though 6. This kid is pounding the zone low with almost every pitch. FB sat 92-94 in the 6th topping out at 95 with life. #Twins

Berrios is through 5. Labored a bit in the 5th but was able to work around a lead off walk unharmed. Velo holding fine. #Twins

Chris King @StatsKing ∑ 20h
    Most impressive thing so far from Berrios is he can miss bats with 3 pitches and command the hell out if them. #Twins

Berrios' first mistake of the night gets taken over the RF wall by Maxx Tissenbaum. Left a FB up over the plate #Twins #Rays

Berrios going right after guys. Sequencing is very strong. Using the SL against LH off the FB. Throwing all his pitches for strikes #Twins

Berrios breezed through the 2nd in order. Broke out both breaking balls. 79 12/6 CB followed by 84 power breaking ball. #Twins

Chris King @StatsKing ∑ 21h
    Berrios 93-96; life; top 97; moving up and down in and out; painting; 12 pitches 10 strikes; 10 fastballs 2 hard CB's

3. These 11 users like cgreuling's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

benji21 (06-20-2014), chamoman (06-12-2014), gunnarthor (06-13-2014), InfraRen (06-12-2014), Monkeypaws (06-12-2014), nicksaviking (06-14-2014), snepp (06-15-2014), Sweetwater (06-13-2014), Taildragger8791 (06-12-2014), Tibs (06-12-2014), Willihammer (06-14-2014)

Thanks for sharing, always extra good to see a neutral party come away impressed. I hope Berrios is promoted after their all star break.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Sounds like the kid has a great sense of pitching for a what, 20 year old?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 803 Times in 506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreuling View Post
    Most impressive thing so far from Berrios is he can miss bats with 3 pitches and command the hell out if them. #Twins
    This makes me drool. If he can continue to develop that, we have an ace on our hands.

7. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (06-14-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's starting to look like Berrios is one of those rare character guys who won't be deterred by obstacles such as the fact that 6'0" pitchers aren't supposed to be that bloody good.

Everything about that kid just screams "professional" and I'm saying that as one of the bigger Berrios skeptics around. I haven't read a single bad thing about the kid, his attitude, or his work ethic.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not to stray too far from my usual pessimist/realist ways, but...

If Berrios is this good, could he be fast-tracked? He just turned 20... a midseason promotion to AA and a decent showing there would at least put him in line for an MLB spring training invite in 2015, right? Where he could, in theory, pitch his way onto the roster (a la Jose Fernandez 2013) or at least impress enough that his AAA stay is relatively brief.

Maybe the Liriano path would be more realistic: 3/4 of this season at high-A, 1/4 at AA, and next year split evenly between AA and AAA with an MLB call-up at age 21. He may be short... but he is taller than me.

Okay, I will return to my pessimism now. (But the Twins are due for a healthy phenom, aren't they?)

10. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    It's helpful that he has good command, because that makes it easier to throw innings without racking up high pitch counts (which obviously the Twins won't let him do).

I think it's very possible he could debut next year.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 657 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    He may be short... but he is taller than me.
    This was nothing close to my mental image of you spycake. Learn something new everyday!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's starting to look like Berrios is one of those rare character guys who won't be deterred by obstacles such as the fact that 6'0" pitchers aren't supposed to be that bloody good.

Everything about that kid just screams "professional" and I'm saying that as one of the bigger Berrios skeptics around. I haven't read a single bad thing about the kid, his attitude, or his work ethic.
    The one negative that came through from last year was the too-frequent histrionic displays when things weren't gong well. I haven't heard about that at all this year- maybe a sign of increasing emotional maturity that will go very well with the physical maturity that now has his FB touching 98 MPH .

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts
    The team seemed to have a pretty damn good 6' pitcher last decade. He too could miss bats with three pitches.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like JO quite a bit. I actually spoke briefly to him in Cedar Rapids last year. I made an off-the-wall prediction that he would pitch in the big leagues before his 21st birthday. I don't know about that, but he has a chance to be pretty good pretty soon.

16. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

CK (06-17-2014), DocBauer (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Outstanding night again for Berrios: 7 IP 1H 0 ER 9K 2BB

Kid is dealing at the moment

18. This user likes SydneyTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-17-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 83 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneyTwinsFan View Post
    Outstanding night again for Berrios: 7 IP 1H 0 ER 9K 2BB

Kid is dealing at the moment
    You could call it dealing, or you could call it being utterly dominant.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Wow! I haven't seen him but he's had an amazing run, and only just 20 g2 weeks ago). His line reads as though he's 28 pitching against 19 year olds. Last 10 games has a 1.56 ERA and only 1 game with more than 2 earned runs and that was 3. I know there's a "normal" progression, but how dominant must he be before they ratchet up the competition with a promotion?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The front office can't justify keeping him in Ft Myers much longer if he keeps this up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really want to see him at AA the second half, let him force the Twins hand to fast track him. If that happens there maybe only 2 years of Ricky Nola which I regretfully look forward too.

His bullets are being wasted in A-ball, that's for sure. When a pitcher is demonstrating precise command of three plus pitches, he can succeed at any level of competition, even the highest. Look at Jose Fernandez, who was called up at about the same age Berrios is now. He had the same level of success with the Marlins as he did in the low minors.

24. This user likes alyosha's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The front office can't justify keeping him in Ft Myers much longer if he keeps this up.
    I opened up this thread pretty much to make this exact point. Time to see what the kid can do in the Eastern League.

What he's doing at this age is unprecedented. Baxendale dominated last year in a smaller sample size, but he is also about four years older than Berrios. Baxendale also had a lower K/9 while also allowing a lot less hits per 9, indicating that he was also getting pretty lucky.

Berrios has nothing to prove in the FSL at this point. He should be in AA and hopefully the majors soon. Someone mentioned Jose Fernandez above; the Blue Jays promoted him directly from high A after less starts in the FSL than Berrios has now, and at the same age. They've put up similar stats, though Fernandez had also been much more dominant at Low A ball earlier that year than Berrios was last year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast