Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berrios

Someone else mentioned that the Twins want him to pitch in the FSL first half playoffs. I would guess that as soon as the playoffs are done, he will be promoted. It's silly to keep him down, especially since a rotation spot just opened up in AA with Gilmartin being promoted.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not exactly. The Miracle need a win today to win the first half. Berrios won't pitch today, so he has done all he can to help his current club win the first half.

3. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (06-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Last 8 starts:

6-0
    52.1 IP

0.898 WHIP
    1.20 ERA
    12.04 K/9

5. These 3 users like amjgt's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (06-18-2014), Sweetwater (06-19-2014), wagwan (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    Someone else mentioned that the Twins want him to pitch in the FSL first half playoffs. I would guess that as soon as the playoffs are done, he will be promoted. It's silly to keep him down, especially since a rotation spot just opened up in AA with Gilmartin being promoted.
    Just to clarify, there aren't actually "first half playoffs." Teams can qualify for the postseason by finishing first or second in the first half standings, but the postseason games themselves aren't played until September.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

7. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-21-2014)

Ahh, my mistake then.

9. This user likes Larsbars08's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No breakdown.

Just...I love this kid. Never read a bad word. Only heard about athleticism, work ethic, willingness to learn and bulldog attitude.

Dont have to rush him. No need. But he might be one of those kids who just forces the issue. There is no reason, at his age and experience, to rush him to AA. But he will probably just buy his own bus ticket.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    "There is no reason, at his age and experience, to rush him to AA."

Maybe true, but more importantly, given his record there is no reason to keep him where he is.

12. This user likes Ncgo4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-20-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    There is no reason not to promote him, other than some rigid belief about age.

14. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-20-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    There is no reason not to promote him, other than some rigid belief about age.
    The Twins promoted Stewart to low A, making him the youngest pitcher in the league. They then promoted Thorpe to low A and he's 13 months younger than Stewart.

I don't think the Twins worry about age quite as much as we think they do.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I agree.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Dont have to rush him. No need. But he might be one of those kids who just forces the issue. There is no reason, at his age and experience, to rush him to AA. But he will probably just buy his own bus ticket.
    Rush him?

I'd say this would not be rushing him.

The Twins have some belief they're in the hunt. So they hang onto Mike Pelfrey, Kevin Correia, which slows down moving up Meyer/Mays, which slows down AA promotions, which slow down...

Trickle down effect, Twins style.

Rushing someone would be putting Stewart at Hi-A in the 2nd half.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess I think the point DocBauer was making is that there are plenty of top-tier starting pitching prospects ahead of Berrios in the pipeline so it's not like there's a need to rush him in order to get him up to the Big Leagues as soon as humanly possible. But that, if he continues to perform like he is this season, he may force his way in to consideration for a Big League rotation spot sooner than any of us expected to be the case.

It's a compliment to Berrios' efforts. And if he DOES continue to dominate higher levels like he is at A+ and makes it difficult for the Twins to keep him out of their rotation, regardless of how good Gibson, May, Meyer and whoever else might current be ahead of him in the pecking order might be, that would be a "problem" the Twins would welcome.

Berrios is going to be promoted and I doubt it will be much longer. If I were in Ft Myers, I'd keep an eye out to see when Terry Ryan shows up for a personal look at the Miracle and Berrios in particular. He trusts his scouts, but I think he also likes to see some things for himself (Buxton was promoted at the end of the first series Ryan saw him play in person last year).

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

19. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-21-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The Twins promoted Stewart to low A, making him the youngest pitcher in the league. They then promoted Thorpe to low A and he's 13 months younger than Stewart.

Nine pitchers over 30 on the current 25-man roster. No pitchers under 26 on same. Only two pitchers (Hughes and Gibson), who aren't in the physical decline phase of their careers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Nine pitchers over 30 on the current 25-man roster. No pitchers under 26 on same. Only two pitchers (Hughes and Gibson), who aren't in the physical decline phase of their careers.
    How old were Radke, Hawkins, Liriano, and even Hendriks when they made the majors? If Berrios deserves to be in the majors when he is 21 or even 20, he will be there. You do have to factor in impatient fans, who for example thought Meyer should be in the majors 6 weeks ago.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

I agree. I wouldn't have two years ago, but I think something has changed. Whether it was a philosophy change or talent change I'm not sure.

There does still seem to be a favoritism toward guys who have "put in their dues" over younger guys. It's hard to argue that a Wheeler or a Pino don't deserve a promotion, both clearly did, but the bottom line in Berrios' case is the better pitcher did not get the call.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    We also might be over reacting to stats and ignoring the scouting stuff - a theme that dominated the Anthony Slama threads. In his last two chats, KLaw has been pretty pessimistic about Berrios and doesn't think he's a top 100 prospect. I know other prospect guys like Berrios more but it is worth taking a moment and remembering that there is more to this than just stat lines.

That said, I hope he gets to AA this season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    We also might be over reacting to stats and ignoring the scouting stuff - a theme that dominated the Anthony Slama threads. In his last two chats, KLaw has been pretty pessimistic about Berrios and doesn't think he's a top 100 prospect. I know other prospect guys like Berrios more but it is worth taking a moment and remembering that there is more to this than just stat lines.

It's possible, but I think Slama and Berrios are different animals. Slama was putting up big numbers but we knew it was smoke and mirrors as he threw in the upper 80's and mediocre at best secondary stuff. We know Berrios has great stuff. It seemed to me KLaw was basically hung up about his height and what he expected it to do to the plane of his pitches. I haven't heard any concerns about that anywhere else and if one thing can be said about KLaw, he is stubborn.

Well plenty of things can be said about KLaw, but there are rules on this site.

25. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-21-2014), gunnarthor (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Probably because hes a heavy flyball pitcher. We dont know the percentage of ground balls he get so its tough to judge.

Though pitchers like Darvish who are fly ball pitchers but he can dominate anyways.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    How old were Radke, Hawkins, Liriano, and even Hendriks when they made the majors? If Berrios deserves to be in the majors when he is 21 or even 20, he will be there. You do have to factor in impatient fans, who for example thought Meyer should be in the majors 6 weeks ago.
    Gardy thought Meyer should have been in the bullpen coming out of ST. Six weeks ago, Meyer was in all likelihood, the best pitcher in the organization, before Hughes finally started coming on. If Meyer is broken down a bit right now, so be it, it isn't the first time, and won't be the last time that the top pitching prospects bounce between the major and minor leagues. It has nothing to do with "impatience".

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post

More to this than just stat lines? So far, the only "hard evidence" that Klaw has presented on Twins prospects is that Vargas isn't going to make it, because no 300 pound players ever make it. Berrios isn't going to make it, because no 6' tall players ever make it. And he seems to enjoy reveling in being a stubborn and abrasive reactionary about his simplistic stand, instead of strengthening the defense of his positions.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-21-2014 at 01:51 AM.

29. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-21-2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast