Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Rate Your Twins Bullpen

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Rate Your Twins Bullpen

Who do you trust in your current Twins bullpen? Rate the pitchers by saying how many games in 10 you trust them to have a good outing. I'll give you my ratings:

Perkins: definately 9/10 games he does a great job.
    Fien: I'd give him a 9/10 as well
    Theilbar: 8/10

Then it drops:

Swarzak: 4.5/10 - He's inconsistent. I think we could do better, but he's not horrible.

Duensing: 2.5/10 - His numbers might look okay, but I just don't trust him. This might be a good time to trade him to someone to get a C prospect.

Guerrier: 2/10 - His numbers look okay so far, but you just know it'll blow up sooner or later.

Burton: 1/10 - If I could go negative on my scale, I would. He's gone beyond his usefulness.

At a minimum, I would drop the bottom three ASAP. The Twins need to see what they have on the forty-man and see if they have a future. I want to know if Ibarra has a future. If we dropped those three, I'd like to add Pino and see what he could bring. If Meyer is on an innings watch, think what he could bring as a reliever in the majors for the rest of the season. Our starters could go 6 innings, with the 7th, 8th and 9th going to Meyer, Fien and Perkins - lights out. Pino would be a great swing man for long relief in place of Swarzak. And I wouldn't mind having Johnson, Darnell and Tonkin being added as well.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins 8/10
    Duensing 7/10
    Fien 5/10
    Swarzak 5/10
    Thielbar 2/10
    Guerrier 1/10
    Burton 0/10
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duensing is a good versatile left-handed reliever. I think his numbers reflect his value. Certainly, he could be replaced but he is an asset, end of story IMHO.

Otherwise, I probably would move Thielbar down a bit and agree with the rest. I have a hard time trusting Fien, but he been doing this for 2+ years now. I would jettison Burton, keep Swarzak where he is valuable (long relief) and bring up a fresh arm to replace Burton.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a lot more trust for Guerrier then the rest of you do.

Perkins 8.5/10
    Duensing 7/10
    Fien 8/10
    Swarzak 7/10
    Thielbar 7/10
    Guerrier 7/10
    Burton 4/10

Guerrier's numbers are similar to past performance. He is not the type of pitcher to put up a lot of K's. But year in and year out he is effective. I think he has another year or 2 left in him. I trust him with the 6th or 7th inning and only one inning at a time. I wouldn't want to have him close games however. Fien is who I trust the most to hold a lead. Burton is up and down so is my trust in him. I started to chalk up his high ERA to just a couple bad outings at the beginning of the season. but now he gives up runs every other outing. Getting frustrating. Its like Corriea. You can see the value is almost there but overall it isn't enough to justify a spot on the team. Everyone else can be successful like Guerrier if used properly and that's all that matters.

I am looking forward to our future bullpen of flamethrowers though.

One last note, I put the over /under on over that Guerrier resigns this offseason if he signs for under 2 million.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am good with our bullpen mostly. Brian D had a clunker against the stros but so did Perk. Both hwve been lights out. I wouldnt mind if JB snd MG were released or traded even tho value is low and some AAA guys got a shot.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alright, guess I'll take a crack at this:

Perkins 9/10
    Duensing 7/10
    Fien 8/10
    Swarzak 6/10
    Thielbar 6/10
    Guerrier 5/10
    Burton 2/10

(other)
    Tonkin 4/10
    Pressly 4/10

If Tonkin can play better than his first two appearances, then he's a upgrade over Burton. I think Pressly can still get it done, if he ever comes out of AAA. Guerrier is doing better than I thought he would, and Swarzak will rebound soon. We have a decent bullpen, outside of Burton, and unfortunately, we're getting close to the end for him.