Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Review Gardenhire's job so far this year

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not certain where the responsibility for 25 and 40 man roster should be put. Probably not on Gardy. It seems like when he wants a change on the 25, he goes through press.

I do think that the Twins feel they have the team to win now. The roster decisions from the front office and line up decisions from the manager demonstrate as much.

That makes it much easier to judge their performance than in the past few years of taking lumps with some struggling young players mixed with replacement level guys.

85 wins in 2014 or clean house. I think they will get there.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The grass is always greener on the other side. How do you know Achter or Pino would be better than Matty in the Bigs? How do you know Pino would be able to adjust to the role in the pen?

A big league manager's job is to win games, not to develop youth.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I am not certain where the responsibility for 25 and 40 man roster should be put. Probably not on Gardy. It seems like when he wants a change on the 25, he goes through press.

I do think that the Twins feel they have the team to win now. The roster decisions from the front office and line up decisions from the manager demonstrate as much.

That makes it much easier to judge their performance than in the past few years of taking lumps with some struggling young players mixed with replacement level guys.

85 wins in 2014 or clean house. I think they will get there.

This. I really think a lot of people think Gardy has more control over the 25-man and 40- man than he actually does.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    On "The Ron Gardenhire Show" yesterday morning Gardy mentioned how he's glad he's not the one that has to make the 40-Man roster decisons. He was asked if the Twins need to be set with 30-35 reliable, major-league ready talent at all times in case of injury or poor performance from the 25 Man. Gardy agreed, and then stated that he wouldn't like to have make those kinds of moves / decisions and he is happy that others take care of that for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    I give Gardy an A- so far, once again he is proving why he is a top 5 manager in the game. Hopefully the twins can keep it up and win him85

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    This. I really think a lot of people think Gardy has more control over the 25-man and 40- man than he actually does.
    Well when Ryan is in charge, I think Gardy's influence is limited to advice. With Ryan out, I suspect it is much more substantial.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Gardy is doing ok, but (grumble, grumble, rip, rip)

The bottom line is that the Twins are playing better than anybody expected this year. Somehow they continue to stay competitive playing infielders in the outfield and having 2/5 of a starting rotation.

I am not always a fan of Gardy's in game choices and loyalty issues, but somehow he regularly wins more games than projected (last few injury plagued years aside). He tends to get more out of players than not. Players want to play for him. What else do you want from a manager?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    On "The Ron Gardenhire Show" yesterday morning Gardy mentioned how he's glad he's not the one that has to make the 40-Man roster decisons. He was asked if the Twins need to be set with 30-35 reliable, major-league ready talent at all times in case of injury or poor performance from the 25 Man. Gardy agreed, and then stated that he wouldn't like to have make those kinds of moves / decisions and he is happy that others take care of that for the Twins.
    That's our Ronnie, always stepping up to the plate, sharing the responsibility.

The context of that quote is that he's saying that making a 40-Man roster that A) has enough useful pieces that can help the major league team and B) protects the prospects that need more time in the minors but would otherwise be eligible for Rule V , etc. is not an easy task.

The tone of his comments were complimentary to the Front Office folks, and made the case that he's not pulling strings behind the scenes, but I think no matter what he says or how he says it, there will be some debate about how much he has influenced the roster moves for the Twins over the years.

I believe you. Link?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    What's interesting to me in the "How much GM influence does Gardy have?" debate is that it shouldn't matter when evaluating how good of a job Gardy has done as regular old non-G manager.

I think he's done pretty well, with a few exceptions. I think he rode Colabello too long and Kubel WAY too long. I think Pinto should have gotten some more ABs, or at least gotten them in bunches rather than as infrequently as he did. I think Gardy was hamstrung when 2/3 of his outfield got injured seemingly simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I believe you. Link?
    It hopefully works better for you than for me (page is not displying correctly on my work browser) - The most recent show, 6/15, should be up.

http://www.ktwin.com/personalities/t...ges/past-shows

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    What's interesting to me in the "How much GM influence does Gardy have?" debate is that it shouldn't matter when evaluating how good of a job Gardy has done as regular old non-G manager.

I think he's done pretty well, with a few exceptions. I think he rode Colabello too long and Kubel WAY too long. I think Pinto should have gotten some more ABs, or at least gotten them in bunches rather than as infrequently as he did. I think Gardy was hamstrung when 2/3 of his outfield got injured seemingly simultaneously.
    Gardy's job is to win games right now. We are on pace for 77 wins. That seems realistic. We have a few more wins than we should but our roster should get better in the second half of the year. I don't know anyone who thought we would win 77 games. So he gets a very good grade.

I think the franchise as a whole gets a poor grade for not having a vision and not accepting where our franchise is. We are not contenders. So signing guys like Pelfrey, Kubel, Bartlett, Matt G., etc. are poor decisions. But that is not on Gardy. That is on Terry.

They say the coach has to win now and the GM is trying to win 2-3 years down the road. If that is the case, Terry should never have given Gardy these veterans to play. So to see other managerial decisions like playing a potential future SS in CF, hard to also put that on Gardy. It seems like the discussion and balance between now and the future has not been discussed or agreed upon. That is also on Terry.

It hopefully works better for you than for me (page is not displying correctly on my work browser) - The most recent show, 6/15, should be up.

http://www.ktwin.com/personalities/t...ges/past-shows
    Never thought to search the ktwin site - thanks.

You were right. Gardy gave a pretty good interview.

I do give him credit for being *mostly candid about how the team has played. He's pretty optimistic about this year's team, and you can kind of tell from this interview in particular that he feels good about their chances to remain competitive for the balance of the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Let's go up to 35 guys that can contribute right now so Gardy can have all the tools he needs. Which two from this list should we take off the 40 man and let leave open for other teams to poach:

Tonkin, Hicks, Pinto, May, Polanco, Vargas, and Kepler?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Let's go up to 35 guys that can contribute right now so Gardy can have all the tools he needs. Which two from this list should we take off the 40 man and let leave open for other teams to poach:

Tonkin, Hicks, Pinto, May, Polanco, Vargas, and Kepler?
    There aren't two that aren' going to be a part of the future. Kepler may be the only one. The problem isn't the prospects on the 40, but the "veterans" on it that have no place on ANYONE's 40 man. Deduno and Correia are blocking younger guys (Darnell, May & Meyer).

18. This user likes Siehbiscuit's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    There aren't two that aren' going to be a part of the future. Kepler may be the only one. The problem isn't the prospects on the 40, but the "veterans" on it that have no place on ANYONE's 40 man. Deduno and Correia are blocking younger guys (Darnell, May & Meyer).
    I am not ready to write off any of these seven guys. I am very interested to know why Tonkin was written off? Tonkin has a 3.42 ERA in 22 MLB innings with 19 K's. May was one of the 7 guys I listed so I am guessing you missed that as you indicated he is being blocked.

I agree with the sentiment of your other comment. The Fryer's, Hermann's, Kubel's of the world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123