Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Key Series Coming Up

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

Key Series Coming Up

The Tigers are next for the Twins. They are 3-2 against Detroit, with a split in Minnesota and then two of three in MoTown. Detroit was playing great a few weeks ago, but has fallen on hard times since. After the Twins play the Tigers, they get the Red Sox, who are on another down cycle, mostly due to injuries.

Back to the Kitties. Miggy and V-Mart are two of the very best hitters in baseball. Everyone else on the Tigers, not so much. Kinsler is the third best hitter and his OPS is 200 points below Miggy and V-Mart. Except for shortstop, the Tigers have respectable, but not outstanding starters at the rest of the positions. The rotation is strong, but the Twins miss a diminished Verlander and a really good Scherzer. The bullpen is a mess, but they got to get to it, so maybe forcing a lot of pitches will be a good thing.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that if the Twins get thru these games, with around a .500 record, they will be contenders for the Wild Card into September.

3. These 2 users like Thegrin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-12-2014), Hawkeye12 (06-11-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    This should be very interesting, and it will have a great deal to say about both clubs. Just too bad Hughes isn't going, but missing Verlander and Scherzer more than evens that out. Nathan has been getting roughed up a bit too, lately.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    I think that if the Twins get thru these games, with around a .500 record, they will be contenders for the Wild Card into September.
    Agreed. It's between now and the All-Star game that we have to stay close, and thankfully the Tigers have come back to the rest of the division. Get past that and we'll see if we are buyers or sellers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Hmm - The Twins are 3.5 games back right now. If the Sox beat Detroit tonight, a sweep this weekend would tie the Twins and Tigers. Not a bad place to be for a last place team.

They are definitely still in the thick of the race for the division, and a good showing against the Tigers (and the Red Sox) could move the Twins up significantly in standings.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Then add in a 4 game series with Chicago at home after the Detroit and Boston series. Right now on the schedule on ESPN has the Twins missing Sale in that 4 game series too.

8. This user likes zenser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Sweep!!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Just my opinion, but the Twins need to be several games UP in the WC race come ASB time. And the Tigers will get around to rolling through the Central eventually. They ran off a bunch of wins earlier this season, then lost a bunch. I'm guessing the former is their most likely outcome given their roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Just my opinion, but the Twins need to be several games UP in the WC race come ASB time. And the Tigers will get around to rolling through the Central eventually. They ran off a bunch of wins earlier this season, then lost a bunch. I'm guessing the former is their most likely outcome given their roster.
    I think the Tigers are going to struggle if Verlander doesn't get back on track, and at this point, something seems to be wrong with him. I don't think he's getting back to his elite level. The Tigers should still be favorits to win the division, but I think they are going to be an over-priced team that hovers just over mediocrity most of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the AL Central once again is a team that would have missed out on a Wild Card opportunity had they not won their division.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    I'm going to the Red Sox game on Monday and possibly Tuesday, chalk up at least one loss for that.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Besides what I listed--MIggy & V-Mart hitting, great starting pitching--there isn't much to like about Detroit. Their bullpen is a mess and the rest of the regular lineup is so-so, with a huge hole/question mark at short.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    I still wonder why they traded Fister??

I assume Fister was traded for the same reason they traded Prince: money. Fister came out of Spring Training with minor arm issues but has absolutely dominated National League teams.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm going to the Red Sox game on Monday and possibly Tuesday, chalk up at least one loss for that.
    I wonder if the Twins (or really any MN team) could get a restraining order against you from appearing within a half a mile from any of their games. Would be worth investigating.

17. This user likes D. Hocking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (06-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this really a discussion right now? Its hard to believe the Twins are actually this close this late in the year. One more clunker by KC and/or Deduno we could see May in the rotation too. Let Rosario keep burning up AA and he could be added depth later in the year if Escobar or Santana hit a slump.

Can't reasonably hope for the Twins to make a push this season. Next year is a much better possibility with Sano, Rosario, Meyer, and May likely to be spending a lot of time with the Twins. Vargas, Buxton, Berrios not very far behind.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    I more excited about this series than I have been about a non opening-day series in years!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly this is a 4 game series against Detroit. The good news is we still have 10 games left with them this season after the series. So as long as we win at least 2 we will have opportunities to rebound later. Though 3 or 4 wins is the preferable outcome here.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    I wonder if the Twins (or really any MN team) could get a restraining order against you from appearing within a half a mile from any of their games. Would be worth investigating.
    Pohlad vs VodkaDave would make it all the way to the Supreme Court

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Pohlad vs VodkaDave would make it all the way to the Supreme Court
    This court would side with billionaires over individuals 9 out of 10 times.