Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: According to LEN3- It appears the Twins are near the end of their patience w/ Hicks

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

According to LEN3- It appears the Twins are near the end of their patience w/ Hicks

The drama swirling around Aaron Hicks continues yet another day. Apparently, LaVelle got a few earfuls on background waiting for the plane to Detroit http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...62797911.html:

"HICKS' SHOULDER: Hicks said it's painful for him to throw, so he's getting it checked out in the Twin Cities on Thursday.

But it's inevitable that he will be in the minors soon.

Folks, this is an interesting case. The club is not happy with him. They've given him chances. They finally criticized him in the press for not preparing well. And he hasn't responded.

There are people in the organization who believe he's blowing his chance here.

Hicks needs to get healthy then go to the minors and invest into being a total professional and work on his game. The Twins look at his talent and wonder what is going on. They can't find the right button to push, and you wonder if they are tired of searching for the right button to push."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this shows that the Twins weren't overly impressed with his "improvement" since the he was publicly criticized.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Which is better for the team? Keeping this kind of stuff in house or using the press to call out players?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Keeping what in house? I don't think it would take Sherlock Holmes to deduce their dissatisfaction with Hicks, regardless of anything being said publicly.

When Fuld comes back he's gonzo, unless he's DL'd. I believe they would have done it much sooner if Fuld stayed healthy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Both Hicks and Gardy pretty much acknowledged when he made the switch to just hitting right handed that it was best to do so at AAA, but there simply weren't any other options in center at that time. Santana seems to be doing better by the day and Fuld returning give them the opportunity to do that.

6. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

MinnesotaMike (06-12-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Keeping what in house? I don't think it would take Sherlock Holmes to deduce their dissatisfaction with Hicks, regardless of anything being said publicly.

When Fuld comes back he's gonzo, unless he's DL'd. I believe they would have done it much sooner if Fuld stayed healthy.
    Fuld played the full game tonight and had three hits, including a homer. He got charged with an error, too. I wonder if he plays tomorrow, as well, to show he can play full games back to back. I think he will be in Detroit on Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Fuld played the full game tonight and had three hits, including a homer. He got charged with an error, too. I wonder if he plays tomorrow, as well, to show he can play full games back to back. I think he will be in Detroit on Friday night.

I think you're right, to clarify I meant Hicks would be gone unless he was placed on the DL, not Fuld. My post wasn't very clear the way I worded it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post

I thought that when LaVelle is writes stuff like "people in the organization believe" that it was comments from actual people in the organization. I didn't realize it was stuff he deduced.

10. These 4 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-14-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-11-2014), JB_Iowa (06-12-2014), Sconnie (06-12-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing he's at tomorrow's off-day workout in Detroit. I would think the Twins have seen enough to convince them on Fuld and are anxious to continue their operation of getting Rosario as many CF innings as possible.

But I would be surprised if Fuld's inserted into the regular starting lineup over Santana any time soon, not as long anyways, as Santana is the hottest hitter in baseball not named Lonnie Chisenhall or Mike Trout.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know there's problems with Hicks, but can someone explain why he is in the Twins'
    doghouse? I know he didn't prepare at all, but what are some of the other issues?

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    I'd think dropping the switch hitting at an inopportune time without really consulting about it wasn't a great way to go about it and probably left a few wondering about him.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I'd think dropping the switch hitting at an inopportune time without really consulting about it wasn't a great way to go about it and probably left a few wondering about him.
    That incident seems more like the straw that broke the camel's back. I think they've been wondering about him for quite some time. I had heard things last summer that suggested that they really soured on him as a long-term option after his second demotion.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I think theres some deeper issues here then whats printed. We can speculate all we want but we wont know.

16. This user likes drock2190's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (06-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    I think theres some deeper issues here then whats printed. We can speculate all we want but we wont know.
    Yes but we can't possibly know for sure unless it's publicly stated of course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That incident seems more like the straw that broke the camel's back. I think they've been wondering about him for quite some time. I had heard things last summer that suggested that they really soured on him as a long-term option after his second demotion.
    Second demotion? I remember him being optioned and not being recalled.

I would love to hear the whole story on Hicks.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope they don't just cut bait on him and rather demote him and hope he figures some things out in the minors. The mishandling of Hicks from the get-go last season is one of the things that makes me the maddest in looking back on the past handful of years.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

20. These 5 users like Jdosen's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (06-12-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-11-2014), JB_Iowa (06-12-2014), ScottyB (06-12-2014), Since71 (06-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    If the entire Twins organization had never said a single bad word about Hicks, there still would have been a consensus that Hicks was struggling and wasn't ready for the big leagues.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Second demotion? I remember him being optioned and not being recalled.

I would love to hear the whole story on Hicks.

Technically correct, his first trip down in 2013 was for rehabbing a "sore hamstring" on June 9, but the Twins weren't in any hurry to get Hicks back up after that first trip to the DL, and only pulled the trigger to bring Hicks back on July 2, after 3 weeks of watching Willingham hobble around in LF before ultimately shutting Josh down. Sound familiar? Hicks seems to only get/keep a job when all the other alternatives have gone to the DL, and when he outshines everyone in exhibition ball.

Scott Diamond sent to Triple-A

Updated: August 1, 2013, 5:43 PM ET
    Associated Press MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins have optioned left-hander Scott Diamond and center fielder Aaron Hicks to Triple-A Rochester.

The Twins made the moves on Thursday after both players struggled in a 7-2 loss to theKansas City Royals. Diamond (5-10) gave up seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits in five innings. He has failed to pitch at least six innings in four of his past five starts.
    Hicks went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts to drop his batting average to .192. Since the All-Star break, he is hitting .162 (7-for-43).

After a brief flurry of decent hitting in his first 7 games back in early July, from July 9 to August 1, Hicks had reverted to earlier form, fairly closely resembling his April horror show numbers, only this time it was this: .152/.219/.227/.445.

Last edited by jokin; 06-11-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The whole story? You see it, no reason to wonder other..he had two major chances..I dont believe he will hit at AAA either. I am fine with cutting ties with him.
    Last edited by diehardtwinsfan; 06-12-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    How to motivate an aloof, but talented individual is hardly a new problem, though it's never had a ready-made solution. That said, Hicks' demeanor makes my skin scrawl; send the guy down and hopefully he can stop winging it. For my part, the Twins have been more than forgiving; Hicks' play and poise speak on his behalf.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-11-2014 at 11:20 PM.

25. These 2 users like PseudoSABR's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-14-2014), Riverbrian (06-12-2014)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast