Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: According to LEN3- It appears the Twins are near the end of their patience w/ Hicks

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Hopefully the moment he's off the DL he's optioned down to get things right. I want to see him get as much time as he needs to be ready for the big leagues. He's got a lot to work on but it's time to show him some patience and less pressure.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If my math is right, the Twins have two remaining options on Hicks. Is that right?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    If my math is right, the Twins have two remaining options on Hicks. Is that right?
    Yep. It will be interesting to see if the Twins follow through on their alleged quest in CF for a Jon Jay-type or waiver wire pick-up and burn one of the two remaining Hicks options. Pocketing both options for the future might be the best idea for building and preserving the long-term value of Hicks- the patient approach has worked for Hicks in the past and he might improve enough in AAA to realize his full value (trade chip?), but the team that wants to compete now would probably be hurt by continuing to roster Hicks- is he really going to figure out RHP enough in a short AAA rehab stint to be effective against big league pitchers?

Santana is likely to soon fall back to Earth and Fuld is a 4th OF. I don't think the Twins can consider trying to "compete" into September if Hicks in his current state is the primary CFer.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Last year was the only option was used, unless the Twins somehow bungled an option this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I think the twins are hoping that Eddie Rosario can be the CF option instead of a Jon Jay type. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get 2 months in CF this year.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think the twins are hoping that Eddie Rosario can be the CF option instead of a Jon Jay type. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get 2 months in CF this year.
    I agree. He must be right near the very top of their "What If?"/Flavor of the Month scenarios. Yet another prospect with the legitimate chance to seize a huge opportunity. The only questions remaining is how he lands on the roster, whether through injury, attrition or trade.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Phil Miller in his postgame notes, on Aaron Hicks going to the 15-day DL with a shoulder injury http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...tml?page=1&c=y :

Hicks wasn’t ready to play, and the Twins decided not to wait any longer for his sore shoulder, injured when he made a diving catch on Sunday, to heal. An MRI taken Thursday showed no structural damage, but Hicks remains unable to throw. [The injury is officially diagnosed as a strained right shoulder.] The injury probably kept Hicks in the major leagues, because the Twins were prepared to option him to Class AAA Rochester if he was healthy.
    Phil Miller is apparently also not buying the notion that, but for his shoulder injury, that Hicks had turned the corner both in his game on the field, and in winning renewed votes of confidence from the Twins braintrust.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Phil Miller in his postgame notes, on Aaron Hicks going to the 15-day DL with a shoulder injury http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...tml?page=1&c=y :

Phil Miller is apparently also not buying the notion that, but for his shoulder injury, that Hicks had turned the corner both in his game on the field, and in winning renewed votes of confidence from the Twins braintrust.
    Hicks should have started the year in AAA. If he's turned the corner, it will show in AAA.

9. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SwainZag (06-14-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't agree with you more diehard. From spring training, I was right about Hicks, belatedly right about Colabello, right about Bartlett and Kubel, wrong about Pelfrey and Florimon.

Seems to me, we went through this with Carlos Gomez and look where he is now!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Seems to me, we went through this with Carlos Gomez and look where he is now!!!!!
    It took Gomez 5 years to post a .700+ OPS. And he had a better offensive starting point that Hicks. The lesson that should have been learned was that Hicks looked really raw and he should have stayed in AAA last year and this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to dump on LEN III, but really, there are only 3 officials in the Twins organization whose opinions count for much when it comes to the major league roster. That would be Gardy, Ryan and maybe Antony. Others may have input, but only those 3 have any control over the roster. If LEN III's sources were any of those 3, he would of quoted them, they don't hide behind anonymous quotes. They don't feed things to the press through others either. They may refuse to answer certain questions at times, but they tend to be pretty straight forward with their opinions, most of the time.

So, while there are probably Twins officials who are frustrated with Hicks, and maybe some who feel he is blowing his chances, I don't think that the key officials would express that. On top of that, I doubt if Ryan or the others have actually given up on Hicks either. It would be out of character. One of Ryan's chief characteristics concerning young players is his patience and willingness to give them 2nd chances. Sometimes to a fault.

The Twins appear to have misjudged his readiness for the majors. While some of that may be on Hicks as well, I don't think the Twins will give up on him until they are sure he won't be a big leaguer or there are much better options in place.

14. This user likes Jim H's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (06-14-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I don't want to dump on LEN III, but really, there are only 3 officials in the Twins organization whose opinions count for much when it comes to the major league roster. That would be Gardy, Ryan and maybe Antony. Others may have input, but only those 3 have any control over the roster. If LEN III's sources were any of those 3, he would of quoted them, they don't hide behind anonymous quotes. They don't feed things to the press through others either. They may refuse to answer certain questions at times, but they tend to be pretty straight forward with their opinions, most of the time.

So, while there are probably Twins officials who are frustrated with Hicks, and maybe some who feel he is blowing his chances, I don't think that the key officials would express that. On top of that, I doubt if Ryan or the others have actually given up on Hicks either. It would be out of character. One of Ryan's chief characteristics concerning young players is his patience and willingness to give them 2nd chances. Sometimes to a fault.

The Twins appear to have misjudged his readiness for the majors. While some of that may be on Hicks as well, I don't think the Twins will give up on him until they are sure he won't be a big leaguer or there are much better options in place.
    I'd love to believe you here, but the Twins have historically liked to float things like this to the press under the guise of an unnamed source. This does seem to be an MO for them from time to time. Baker and Neshek come to mind as recent examples. I really wish that wasn't the case, but it does seem to be something that this org will do when it feels it suites their purpose.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post

The irony of all of this, the end result is that, whomever the source was/is, the reporting has proven to be accurate. Hicks appears to be at a major crossroads in his Twins career. Gardy piled on the praise for the return of Fuld, and promised he'd see plenty of playing time- and Fuld is in the starting lineup today.

As noted in my post last evening, Phil Miller also piled on last night regarding the Twins feelings and seeming indifference about Hicks going on the DL or being optioned, so apparently he was given the same information from the same background source who has proven to be accurate to this point. Care to put 2 + 2 together? It appears to be straight from the horse's mouth, even if the horse is using another mouthpiece.

[During his rehab time in New Britain, where he was 6-14 at the plate, Fuld]tested himself every way he could think of. “I did a lot of running, in the outfield, on the bases, a lot of first to third,” the veteran outfielder said. “I was out of breath a lot.”

Manager Ron Gardenhire would like him to stay that way. The outfielder will get plenty of playing time, Gardenhire said, now that Aaron Hicks has been placed on the disabled list because of a strained right shoulder.

“I’d be comfortable starting Fuld,” Gardenhire said. “He’s ready to play.”
    Will Danny Santana continue to get most of the starts in center field?
    “We’ll see,” Gardenhire said.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-14-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567