Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Hosken BD on to something here? Jordan Pacheco, Henry Blanco....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Hosken BD on to something here? Jordan Pacheco, Henry Blanco....

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    This should get interesting. Not a lot of days off before the all star break. Perhaps the Twins will trade for a veteran catcher to back up Suzuki. Not even joking.
    Now that the Twins have optioned Josmil Pinto to get everyday experience in Rochester, if the Twins are really going for it, would they look past calling up their AAA depth and look outside the organization for someone with major league experience?

Below are 2 bargain-bin examples. I withhold editorial comment, but not having to trade away anything of value, are these guys better options than Fryer?:

1) Jordan Pacheco has just been DFAd by the Rockies. 28 years old, 935 PAs.

2) Henry Blanco. Hammerin' Hank White is 42, former Twin, currently coach for the D-Backs, retired in 2013.

I'm a fan of old dudes in baseball, so I'd love to see Blanco back. Hard to believe he'd give up a coaching gig, though.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 377 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not a crazy thought. I assume Eric Fryer will come up, but they could claim someone or trade for someone.

Corky Miller is still playing too, right?

What about Pat "pass ball" Borders? He'd come cheap.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty late in the day, today, and still no roster announcement. That would make one speculate that no deal will be done today for a catcher outside the organization. So probably means Fryer plays for the Wing tonight and catches the first flight out tomorrow morning to join the Twins in Detroit?

Liked 1,282 Times in 742 Posts

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Terry Ryan went on and on gushing about Fryer last fall, perhaps he's giving Eric a little window of opportunity here to see if he can click, and in the meantime keeping his options open for pursuing names outside the organization.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Good work, JB. (Couldn't you have posted a couple minutes earlier so I didn't look bad?)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Good work, JB. (Couldn't you have posted a couple minutes earlier so I didn't look bad?)
    Sorry, asleep at the switch.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I gotta follow this Morrie Silver dude.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I gotta follow this Morrie Silver dude.
    I find that by following Seth Stohs, I pretty much see re-tweets of all the news I want to know.

12. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-12-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Sam Fuld is not in the New Britain lineup tonight, but Eddie Rosario is back in CF:

New Britain Rock Cats
    Player Pos AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG
    Brad Boyer SS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .246
    Eddie Rosario CF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .350
    Nate Hanson 2B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .253
    Kennys Vargas 1B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .320
    Reynaldo Rodriguez RF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .295
    Brandon Waring 3B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .183
    Matt Koch DH 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .265
    Mike Kvasnicka LF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .215
    Kyle Knudson C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .162
    Totals 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .258

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    That's cool - it's about what I figured would happen. Fryer is perfectly fine as backup to give Suzuki a rest here and there.

The new floor is the Florimon line - as long as Fryer can avoid being an offensive black hole, making himself and the batters before and after him an automatic out, then sign me up.

Did the Twins say who Fuld was replacing on the 25 man?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    That's cool - it's about what I figured would happen. Fryer is perfectly fine as backup to give Suzuki a rest here and there.

The new floor is the Florimon line - as long as Fryer can avoid being an offensive black hole, making himself and the batters before and after him an automatic out, then sign me up.

Did the Twins say who Fuld was replacing on the 25 man?
    With the Rochester roster being filled up with the reinstatement of Chris Hermann from the DL, it seems, barring a trade, that the Twins are just waiting to announce Hicks to the major league DL a little later on today.

That makes the most sense based on the moves the Twins have made this year- I wonder if they would throw a curveball by sending someone else down (like a Reliever) instead.

OR Sending Hicks down to AAA to work the Righty vs. Righty situation instead of putting him on the DL.

Say they do the expected and DL Hicks - when he is ready to come off the DL, do they demote someone else? If Santana is still sustaining the unsustainable, Hicks might be the one to be sent down, yes?

The D-Backs claimed Pachecho . . .

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    That makes the most sense based on the moves the Twins have made this year- I wonder if they would throw a curveball by sending someone else down (like a Reliever) instead.

OR Sending Hicks down to AAA to work the Righty vs. Righty situation instead of putting him on the DL.

Say they do the expected and DL Hicks - when he is ready to come off the DL, do they demote someone else? If Santana is still sustaining the unsustainable, Hicks might be the one to be sent down, yes?
    Speculation based on one year ago in June, the Twins DL'd Hicks in early June, sent him to rehab in Rochester, and seemingly only recalled him in early July because Josh Willingham was shut down. Again, we're speculating here, but I would think that Hicks will be sent down in his "rehab" stint to do exactly what the Twins said they wanted him to do, get reps against RHP and get his act together. I think a lot about the Twins intentions will be learned if they eventually option Hicks instead of calling him back. I think they prefer a predictable, if pedestrian performance from Fuld over the Hicks dramatics.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

The D-Backs claimed Pachecho . . .
    The D-Backs were desperate for some depth at catcher going into the season, and they had NL claiming priority, currently being the 2nd worst team in that league.

yeah - they definitely needed to make a change there. Their back up catcher was pretty useless. Pachecho can also play 3rd and 1st, so there's a lot to like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast