Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Report (6/11): Boss Berrios

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Don't buy into the twins gimmick about pitching to contact.. it simply just doesn't work.
    Except for Phil Hughes -- at least in 2014 -- if you define "pitching to contact" as throwing in the strike zone. Phil Hughes is throwing more than 59% of his pitches in the zone. And his first pitch strike rate is just over 70%.

So if you define "pitch to contact" as throwing in the strike zone, it can be successful. I think this is actually what Anderson means by "pitch to contact" -- throwing it in the zone. I don't think he ever meant it to be throw it in a location and in a manner in which opposing batters can hit it at an extraordinarily high rate.

Unfortunately Twin pitchers frequently haven't executed it well. That's why seeing Hughes have a good season is fun. Control plus velocity.

Would be great if Berrios could emulate that.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 06-13-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typos

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The phrase "pitch to contact" needs to go away forever. Nobody wants the opposition to put wood on the ball every time. That's preposterous. Limiting walks and keeping pitch counts low has its merits.

I don't like most of the Twins' pitching acquisitions over the past decade but when they've had talent, they haven't told anyone to stop striking out hitters. The problem is that they kept acquiring people who weren't very good at throwing baseballs.

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The phrase "pitch to contact" needs to go away forever.

I don't like most of the Twins' pitching acquisitions over the past decade but when they've had talent, they haven't told anyone to stop striking out hitters. The problem is that they kept acquiring people who weren't very good at throwing baseballs.
    Yes and no. Rick Anderson coined that phrase and yes, has publicly said what we take as the meaning is not what he meant. However, our meaning has characterized his staffs for a decade. He is pitch to contact and he needs to go away forever before he gets his mitts on Meyer, may, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Care to define what NOT EVEN CLOSE is? Kohl Stewart is widely regarded as a potential Ace with a plus fastball and plus slider. Berrios is a year further along and is therefor more polished. Lets see how Stewart performs the rest of the year.

Not taking anything away from Berrios, but you're not being fair to a guy that has 75 professional innings.
    What are you talking about? Kohl Stewart has ACE ceiling? You are kidding me.

I already said Kohl Stewart was next Zach Lee. Did you know who was Zach Lee?

Baseball America experts and ESPN expert said Lee would be frontline arm in the future in his first year. But Lee was incredibly overrated prospect at that time because he couldn’t miss bats. Right now, Lee still has that upside? NO, he just has workhorse upside.

Experts also said Kohl Stewart had frontline potential last year. But his stat line was more ugly than Lee at the same stage. His SIERA was 4.20. His BABIP was .236. Look his vedio, hitters make VERY HARD CONTACT on him, he couldn’t whiff anyone. A groundball pitcher who can’t miss bats has ACE ceiling? Give a name, ok?

Player Development? So, Shelby Miller didn’t develope, Archie Bradley didn’t develope? Why they could miss crazy bats but Kohl Stewart couldn’t? That was an excuse for me.

A young pitching prospect has control or command problem is not a serious problem, but a young pitching prospect has VERY LOW K/9 is a BIG problem.
    Last edited by twinsbaby; 06-13-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benji21 View Post
    Yes and no. Rick Anderson coined that phrase and yes, has publicly said what we take as the meaning is not what he meant. However, our meaning has characterized his staffs for a decade. He is pitch to contact and he needs to go away forever before he gets his mitts on Meyer, may, et al.
    During that time, Anderson coached Santana, Liriano, Baker, Nathan, Rincon, etc. To my knowledge, he never told any of them to stop missing bats, though in the case of Liriano he certainly encouraged him to get the damned ball over the plate.

The problem is talent, not pitch to contact. And I say that as a person who's not particularly fond of Rick Anderson as a pitching coach.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsbaby View Post
    What are you talking about? Kohl Stewart has ACE ceiling? You are kidding me.

I already said Kohl Stewart was next Zach Lee. Did you know who was Zach Lee?

Baseball America experts and ESPN expert said Lee would be frontline arm in the future in his first year. But Lee was incredibly overrated prospect at that time because he couldn’t miss bats. Right now, Lee still has that upside? NO, he just has workhorse upside.

Experts also said Kohl Stewart had frontline potential last year. But his stat line was more ugly than Lee at the same stage. His SIERA was 4.20. His BABIP was .236. Look his vedio, hitters make VERY HARD CONTACT on him, he couldn’t whiff anyone. A groundball pitcher who can’t miss bats has ACE ceiling? Give a name, ok?

Player Development? So, Shelby Miller didn’t develope, Archie Bradley didn’t develope? Why they could miss crazy bats but Kohl Stewart couldn’t? That was an excuse for me.

A young pitching prospect has control or command problem is not a serious problem, but a young pitching prospect has VERY LOW K/9 is a BIG problem.
    I think you're overlooking the fact that Stewart is a pitching novice who has said that coaches have him working on very specific things over stats-based results.

If he's still struggling to miss bats next year, then it's time to raise red flags.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123