Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Past and the Future of Danny Santana

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    If the Twins ever find a real center fielder and Santana takes over at short - they could finally have the deep and flexible bench Gardy wants with Escobar and Nunez swinging the bats decently and playing many different positions adequately.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    If Santana or Escobar can put up that slash line over the long term the shortstop position is solved and perhaps Gordon should start playing 3rd base.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that both Santana and Escobar will go back in production. I don't see anyone who is a .370 hitter. if he stays around .280 to .300 he has value as a replacement CF. Escobar is filling in fine at SS, and for now, I do not see any serious line up holes. all I see is a Burton in the pen hole and Corriea in the rotation. Everyone else is at least adequate. There are some bench holes but that is expected or the bench players would be starters. I would like to see May up in place of Corriea just to see how another rookie can help out and get experience in our quest for the wildcard race..... or Division race for that matter.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-12-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    If Santana or Escobar can put up that slash line over the long term the shortstop position is solved and perhaps Gordon should start playing 3rd base.
    Way too premature for that. Gordon should stay at short as long as he can play there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The weird thing...as successful as Santana is...many of his "outs" are hard hit liners that required a good play by the other team.

He hasn't looked phased at all even when down 0-2.

Manny Machado, though he was only 20 at the time, and others never hit as well in the minors as they did in the bigs. Could just be the development was still on an upward plane and that time continued through the bigs instead of what was in the minors.

IF there's a pitch or situation he looks bad at...what are those pitches/situations?

6. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (06-12-2014)

I always thought Rosario was more of a corner outfielder. Does he have the speed to play CF? If so, he'd be the perfect stopgap until Buxton and then Rosario slides over. Gotta get Santana back to SS.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    I don't think Santana has as low of a floor as some of the posters do, obviously he's not going to flirt w/ .400 his entire career but he looks like a pretty good baseball player to me and his minor league stats are just fine except for the errors so I don't know why some people don't want to jump on the bandwagon.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Escobar has proven he is more of a utility infielder than a regular, although he has impressed so far..
    How has he proven that he is not a regular, if he has been impressive?

As a matter of fact, he is hitting .308/.347/.453 (.800 OPS) with an 122 OPS+ Any idea who was the last Twins' starting SS who had better OPS+ in a season or even half a season? Hint: The last one to come close was awarded the MVP in that season.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Way too premature for that. Gordon should stay at short as long as he can play there.
    Substitute "Polanco" with "Gordon" and I would agree

Not sure what has gotten into Santana, but remember Colabello was hitting like Babe Ruth before there were enough advanced scouting reports on him...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of course both Santana and Escobar's averages are going to drop. However, if they continue to hit the ball hard, they should continue to play. If they continue to be adequate fielders, they should continue to play.

Also remember that Pedro Florimon is still in the Twins system, and if he were to start hitting in Rochester and Escobar should slump too far, then I think we are more likely to see Florimon again than Santana at short. A major league .235 average, with some walks would make Florimon a valuable player.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 92 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Danny's hitting will probably regress somewhat, but consider this. When someone comes up and performs better than expected, it can be argued that the majors provide: better lighted ballparks, better consistent pitching (around the plate, don't have to fear young, wild arms), better coaching and video, and better food, just to mention a few things.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Santana is the team's igniter. As long as he keeps getting on base and rattling opposing pitchers, he will have a starting job somewhere on the field. I am fascinated as hell by his sudden emergence, and I really want to see how this plays out. I think his ceiling might be Cesar Tovar.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    I don't think Santana has as low of a floor as some of the posters do, obviously he's not going to flirt w/ .400 his entire career but he looks like a pretty good baseball player to me and his minor league stats are just fine except for the errors so I don't know why some people don't want to jump on the bandwagon.
    I think every Twins fan is enjoying riding the wave with Santana. Unfortunately, like in the ocean, all waves eventually hit the sandy bottom. Santana whiffs on sliders at a 42% rate, and yet he has only received 41 sliders (11.5% of all pitches received), versus 209 FBs and 56 change-ups. Look for a whole lot more whiffing at breakers in Santana's near-future. It will be interesting how both he and the Twins handle things when the league makes its adjustments.

his minor league stats are just fine except for the errors so I don't know why some people don't want to jump on the bandwagon.

1) Except the errors is a major red flag if he's going to eventually play SS. (Needs more SS reps).
    2) He has a 5% BB rate and a low 13.8% LD rate in the minors since 2011, they are eventually going to catch up with him. (Major league averages are 8.1% BB rate and 20.2% LD rate.)
    Last edited by jokin; 06-12-2014 at 10:48 PM.

15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JeffReboulet (06-13-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    The weird thing...as successful as Santana is...many of his "outs" are hard hit liners that required a good play by the other team.

He hasn't looked phased at all even when down 0-2.

Manny Machado, though he was only 20 at the time, and others never hit as well in the minors as they did in the bigs. Could just be the development was still on an upward plane and that time continued through the bigs instead of what was in the minors.

IF there's a pitch or situation he looks bad at...what are those pitches/situations?
    42% whiff rate on sliders.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he cools... He cools... I'm not thinking about regression until he regresses.

Right now... He's playing himself into a job... Good for him.

His CF play is getting better as the games roll by.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    If he cools... He cools... I'm not thinking about regression until he regresses.

Right now... He's playing himself into a job... Good for him.

His CF play is getting better as the games roll by.
    No doubt, he's made incremental improvements, still waiting for him to throw like an OFer instead of a SS, and hitting a cutoff man. To his credit, thus far, as shaky as he seems at times in CF, his dWAR from bRef is +0.3. (I'm wondering, did he get extra credit style points for the extra range he covers, ala that ridiculously amazing catch in AT&T "triples alley?") And again yesterday, if he was an experienced CFer, he would have been capable of playing 10-15 ft. shallower and could have called off Nunez and Dozier, thus avoiding the misplay and injury, no points off for that, but the Twins are, in fact, still playing "shorthanded" in the OF.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK, Santana has hit great, but it is less than 100 plate appearances. If he has a long 0-fer or goes 4-40 (like Dozier did), the numbers wouldn't look so gaudy. If Santana were playing shortstop, we might be talking about him like Arcia--he can rake but he keeps making mistakes--so IMHO maybe it's better if he is not at short for the big league team. I like Escobar's steadiness at short and his hitting has been a surprise. I am really more comfortable with EE as the shortstop. If he stops hitting, move him to utility, but there is no way that Santana should be the everyday shortstop right now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    OK, Santana has hit great, but it is less than 100 plate appearances. If he has a long 0-fer or goes 4-40 (like Dozier did), the numbers wouldn't look so gaudy. If Santana were playing shortstop, we might be talking about him like Arcia--he can rake but he keeps making mistakes--so IMHO maybe it's better if he is not at short for the big league team. I like Escobar's steadiness at short and his hitting has been a surprise. I am really more comfortable with EE as the shortstop. If he stops hitting, move him to utility, but there is no way that Santana should be the everyday shortstop right now.
    I hope no one is advocating that Santana move to SS on a regular basis yet. And I'm not sure how he gets there from here, without the everyday reps.. Classic conundrum.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    At the worst, I see Santana as a Revere with more power, although perhaps not as gifted in the field, at least not yet. Ben "gets after it" pretty good out there, although Santana has a much better arm.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I always thought Rosario was more of a corner outfielder. Does he have the speed to play CF? If so, he'd be the perfect stopgap until Buxton and then Rosario slides over. Gotta get Santana back to SS.
    He was in CF until he moved to 2nd. But, for perspective, Arcia was a CF for a while too... Rosario has always been praised for his athleticism and defensive skills, and his bat doesn't play well in the corners. The big thing I see from this is that Dozier is clearly entrenched at 2nd, and it does not appear that they have any plans moving him to SS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast