Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thoughts

1) Wow, the AL Central is tight. Cleveland is 3.5 back, in last place, and they are closer to the division lead than the second place team in the other divisions.

2) Oswaldo Arcia is looking much better in the field. He made a catch in the gap tonight that wasn't a web gem, but he took the proper route and closed on the ball and caught the ball without any trouble. Wednesday he made a really nice play on a pop foul. He's got a good arm and seems pretty well suited to right field.

3) Give me Escobar at short. He's probably not going to hit .300, but he makes all the plays, has a really good and accurate arm and the clubhouse loves him. Today, he hit a homer and took a bases-loaded walk.

4) Detroit has great starting pitching. They have Miggy and V-Mart. The rest of the team, I'm not a fan. Everyone in the central has to think "why not us?".

5) Someone made a comment that the Twins lack a reliable 7th inning guy. I agree. While Duensing would be fine facing a couple lefties, I would want to see him facing Jackson, Miggy and V-Mart or something like that. No to Burton, no to Swarzak and probably no to Thielbar. There are candidates at Rochester and a guy in New Britain.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    There are candidates at Rochester and a guy in New Britain.
    And even a guy in Omaha

replacing Burton and Guerrier with Pino and Achter will work wonders for this team tomorrow.

But they will not do it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) I need to find a way to watch these next two games, especially tomorrow's Deduno-Sanchez matchup. It just sort of feels like one of those days where Deduno rises to the occasion. He needs situations like that.

2) +1

3) It's early, but he's +9 in UZR/150 right now. He's better than he seems to be defensively. I still worry about that K/BB ratio though. Great to see him come through tonight. The biggest reason I'm optimistic about Eduardo: I criticized that trade bitterly. That usually mean that Terry Ryan has pulled of a steal.

4) Yup. Stars and scrubs. That team got worse this offseason. They're one pitching injury from being very mediocre.

5) Yep. I would like to see Tonkin get another shot. People keep saying Achter, but Tonkin seems like a "real deal" guy that just needs to get over the hump.

4. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    And even a guy in Omaha
    That's Burdi - is there precedent for that? Not that it would happen, but are there signing rules that prohibit it?

I really like this team. They are on the way to building a really fun rotation. This is an incredibly fun ride for a team that still is below .500. Baseball....ya gotta love it.

And once they believe that they can compete now, they will. They are.

7. This user likes NoCal's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-13-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    1) I need to find a way to watch these next two games, especially tomorrow's Deduno-Sanchez matchup. It just sort of feels like one of those days where Deduno rises to the occasion. He needs situations like that.

2) +1

3) It's early, but he's +9 in UZR/150 right now. He's better than he seems to be defensively. I still worry about that K/BB ratio though. Great to see him come through tonight. The biggest reason I'm optimistic about Eduardo: I criticized that trade bitterly. That usually mean that Terry Ryan has pulled of a steal.

4) Yup. Stars and scrubs. That team got worse this offseason. They're one pitching injury from being very mediocre.

5) Yep. I would like to see Tonkin get another shot. People keep saying Achter, but Tonkin seems like a "real deal" guy that just needs to get over the hump.
    3) Again, another TD contributor got it right in the offseason personnel analysis, started up the "Eddie 400", and was way ahead of Gardy and management on who should be playing in the Twins MI, and why. Escobar is likely not the long-term answer, but you have to love a guy who takes full advantage of an opportunity.

4/5) Give Ryan credit and question Dombrowski's judgement. Putting together a bullpen is a relatively cheap fix, provided a GM has some insight into the process....once again.....Ryan has a decent bullpen that can potentially quickly get much better, meanwhile, the Tigers bullpen has the worst ERA in all of baseball (4.68). Ironic, isn't it, the Twins seem to be one good starter and maybe one good reliever (and they have multiple candidates to fill those roles) from being a legitimate team to beat candidate in the Central, while the Tigers SPs are one injury away from probably a lost season for the Kitties.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2) Oswaldo Arcia is looking much better in the field. He made a catch in the gap tonight that wasn't a web gem, but he took the proper route and closed on the ball and caught the ball without any trouble. Wednesday he made a really nice play on a pop foul. He's got a good arm and seems pretty well suited to right field.
    Didn't see much of the game, but pretty sure I saw the one you're talking about. At first it looked like he was giving up on it as uncatchable and letting Santana track down the rebound. But the glove went up and came down with the ball; no dive, no last-second drama.

The route was pretty much perfect, without the etch-a-sketch tendency he exhibited earlier on occasion, tracking laterally or adjusting depth, but not getting a simultaneous read and taking the most direct route to where the ball was headed.

Hard to know if he'll hit lefties enough or develop the plate discipline to be really good, but at age 23.1, wouldn't bet against it. And he's already really fun to watch, which is something that was seldom said of many, many Twins players the past three years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. The central is a tight race which is why I support the Morales signing. If we can get one more starter......

2. I don't get to watch the games so good to hear about Arcia.

3. For fun look at how he ranks among other American league SS by OPS from MLB.com:
    RK Player Team Pos G▼ AB▼ R▼ H▼ 2B▼ 3B▼ HR▼ RBI▼ BB▼ SO▼ SB▼ CS▼ AVG▼ OBP▼ SLG▼ OPS▼ IBB▼ HBP▼ SAC▼ SF▼ TB▼ XBH▼ GDP▼ GO▼ AO▼ GO_AO▼ NP▼ PA▼
    1 Suarez, E DET 553993 SS 6 16 5 5 2 4 3 4 .313 .421 .688 1.109 1 11 2 4 4 1.00 83 20
    2 Santana, D MIN 542454 SS 25 86 12 32 5 2 12 5 21 4 .372 .407 .500 .907 1 43 7 2 21 15 1.40 361 92
    3 Escobar, E MIN 500871 SS 52 159 18 49 20 1 12 10 36 1 1 .308 .347 .453 .800 1 2 1 72 21 2 44 35 1.26 665 172
    4 Ramirez, A CWS 493351 SS 67 257 34 80 9 2 7 36 13 36 12 3 .311 .347 .444 .790

4. Detroit has several good starters and 3 or 4 solid relievers. They could use 2 or 3 more relievers. Sad to see Nathan failing as I wanted to see him get to 450 + in his career.

5. I have more faith in our bullpen. Burton is the only one I would find to be questionable in our pen. Swarzak's job is to eat innings in a blow out to save the rest of the pen not pitch the 7th inning.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-13-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    That's Burdi - is there precedent for that? Not that it would happen, but are there signing rules that prohibit it?
    There are lots of players who went from college straight to the majors. Pete Incavilia is one. Mike Morgan pretty much went from High School straight to the majors.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    There are lots of players who went from college straight to the majors. Pete Incavilia is one. Mike Morgan pretty much went from High School straight to the majors.
    Add Dave Winfield.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Steve Avery and Jon Olerud I think was the last. Let's do it.

Olerud in fact never played in the minors until his final season when he had a rehab assignment.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    1. The central is a tight race which is why I support the Morales signing. If we can get one more starter......

2. I don't get to watch the games so good to hear about Arcia.

3. For fun look at how he ranks among other American league SS by OPS from MLB.com:
    RK Player Team Pos G▼ AB▼ R▼ H▼ 2B▼ 3B▼ HR▼ RBI▼ BB▼ SO▼ SB▼ CS▼ AVG▼ OBP▼ SLG▼ OPS▼ IBB▼ HBP▼ SAC▼ SF▼ TB▼ XBH▼ GDP▼ GO▼ AO▼ GO_AO▼ NP▼ PA▼
    1 Suarez, E DET 553993 SS 6 16 5 5 2 4 3 4 .313 .421 .688 1.109 1 11 2 4 4 1.00 83 20
    2 Santana, D MIN 542454 SS 25 86 12 32 5 2 12 5 21 4 .372 .407 .500 .907 1 43 7 2 21 15 1.40 361 92
    3 Escobar, E MIN 500871 SS 52 159 18 49 20 1 12 10 36 1 1 .308 .347 .453 .800 1 2 1 72 21 2 44 35 1.26 665 172
    4 Ramirez, A CWS 493351 SS 67 257 34 80 9 2 7 36 13 36 12 3 .311 .347 .444 .790

4. Detroit has several good starters and 3 or 4 solid relievers. They could use 2 or 3 more relievers. Sad to see Nathan failing as I wanted to see him get to 450 + in his career.

5. I have more faith in our bullpen. Burton is the only one I would find to be questionable in our pen. Swarzak's job is to eat innings in a blow out to save the rest of the pen not pitch the 7th inning.
    Detroit relievers collectively have the worst ERA in baseball (4.68). And Joe Nathan is the worst individually (7.04).

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5) Someone made a comment that the Twins lack a reliable 7th inning guy. I agree. While Duensing would be fine facing a couple lefties, I would want to see him facing Jackson, Miggy and V-Mart or something like that. No to Burton, no to Swarzak and probably no to Thielbar. There are candidates at Rochester and a guy in New Britain.
    May or Meyer. What are we waiting for? Let's go already.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Steve Avery and Jon Olerud I think was the last. Let's do it.

Olerud in fact never played in the minors until his final season when he had a rehab assignment.
    the last to do it was Mike Leake in 2010
    Before that Xavier Nady in 2000

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    I have definitely noticed improvement with Arcia too, it's great to see.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    And even a guy in Omaha

replacing Burton and Guerrier with Pino and Achter will work wonders for this team tomorrow.

But they will not do it.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the guy in Omaha play against some minor league competition first... but Pino and Achter should be pretty solid upgrades. I think Tonkin would too. This too me seems like a replace from within option. I could see Deduno going back too in favor of an AAA starter.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    No rules... sign him, put him on the 40 man, and promote him. I'd rather they let put him in AA and see how he does first, but if he succeeds the 40 man and promotion wouldn't be that difficult.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benchwarmerjim View Post
    the last to do it was Mike Leake in 2010
    Before that Xavier Nady in 2000
    Nady was weird because he went straight to SD but then got sent down to the minors for a couple years after that.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With so many good options available in Rochester, I don't understand the rush to get Burdi up here immediately. He should be promoted quickly but first promote the guys who have been toiling in the organization for years and have shown success.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

2) +1

I have no confidence in defensive metrics and UZR is particularly awful. So I wouldn't pay much attention to that. With the admission that I haven't seen all his games at short, I would say that he lacks the range and probably the arm to be an outstanding major league shortstop. He has played well so far, and combined with his hitting, he is more than adequate there, for now. I see Santana as potentially a better medium term answer, with Escobar a better fit at utility man.

At least for now, shortstop isn't a black hole. That is certainly something that is an improvement over the last few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast