Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I have no confidence in defensive metrics and UZR is particularly awful. So I wouldn't pay much attention to that. With the admission that I haven't seen all his games at short, I would say that he lacks the range and probably the arm to be an outstanding major league shortstop. He has played well so far, and combined with his hitting, he is more than adequate there, for now. I see Santana as potentially a better medium term answer, with Escobar a better fit at utility man.

At least for now, shortstop isn't a black hole. That is certainly something that is an improvement over the last few years.
    Exactly, Jim. Both for now and the near future, I think shortstop is not a problem to give up key prospects or big free agent money to fix. Neither player's offense profiles anywhere near what they are producing, but I have to say that I think Escobar has raised his floor to "satisfactory" if not higher. Santana has shown the tools of a talented regular, but from what I saw in ST, I wouldn't trust him at all defensively and, of course, he won't hit .350.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a bit more confidence in Escobar than I do Santana in terms of maintaining some semblance of good offense. Escobar has shown in the past that he can hit well for extended periods of time, whereas Santana was just called up and has somehow managed to exceed what he was doing in the minors prior to the callup. Don't mind riding the wave with both of them, but I suspect Santana is far more likely to cool down.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    The Twins bullpen has been above average in terms of runs allowed, but is 2nd worst in MLB in xFIP. It's really not a very good group right now. Duensing is getting by on luck - his stuff is awful - and Burton is totally shot. Swarzak is a mop up guy. Guerrier is OK at best.

One obvious way to improve is just to move Deduno back - he's much better suited to a relief role.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it is here that Jack G can or should be heard--the relievers are getting by with smoke and mirrors and an upgrade would help before rather than after the 'pen melts down.

Frankly, I can't figure out how Fien has been so effective. Perkins has Grade A stuff and an attitude that maximizes what he has. I still think there is something left with Duensing, but he has to be used properly. Help is pretty close, so I would like to see at least one veteran cashiered in some fashion.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have as much confidence in Fien as Perkins to be honest. I think he's outstanding. He's kinda like Sergio Romo - just throw a bunch of sliders and watch guys swing out of their shoes. I think Burton is coming around but after those 2 or 3, there is definitely a dropoff.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I have as much confidence in Fien as Perkins to be honest. I think he's outstanding. He's kinda like Sergio Romo - just throw a bunch of sliders and watch guys swing out of their shoes.
    Yep. I've been slow to appreciate him. He's got good movement on his pitches, so probably the key is a delivery that disguises what's coming. If he starts to tip his pitches, though, look out - not that I would ever catch on, except by the results.

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    That's Burdi - is there precedent for that? Not that it would happen, but are there signing rules that prohibit it?
    The last version of the CBA says that draftees can only sign minor league contracts. I don't know how long a team has to wait to purchase the contract and move the play to the majors though. I'm sure there is some loophole a team could use, if they wanted.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

8. This user likes James's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-14-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The last version of the CBA says that draftees can only sign minor league contracts. I don't know how long a team has to wait to purchase the contract and move the play to the majors though. I'm sure there is some loophole a team could use, if they wanted.
    Didn't Chris Sale debut two months after he was drafted?

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Didn't Chris Sale debut two months after he was drafted?
    Sale was drafted in 2010, and the current CBA took effect in 2011. But you are correct, Sale signed on June 20th and made his debut on August 6th, 2010.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think it is here that Jack G can or should be heard--the relievers are getting by with smoke and mirrors and an upgrade would help before rather than after the 'pen melts down.

Frankly, I can't figure out how Fien has been so effective. Perkins has Grade A stuff and an attitude that maximizes what he has. I still think there is something left with Duensing, but he has to be used properly. Help is pretty close, so I would like to see at least one veteran cashiered in some fashion.
    I like Fien, but I'm not sure if he's the guy you want in the main set-up role on a contender. But I'll defend Fien in the attitude department in maximizing performance relative to Perkins. And maybe Goin can finally convince the braintrust that in order to contend, the Twins simply have to improve on their near-last reliever K% of 18%.

The good news is that there are so many viable options for upgrade. And I'm not nearly as worried about veteran complacency from Twins management as in previous years. The Twins are showing new-found aggressiveness to the point that I don't think we'll have to endure multiple 'pen meltdowns. For example, Gardy stuck with Gibson last night in the 7th, even though he was well-past 100 pitches- even he finally realizes that a fatigued Gibson was going to be a better option than a fresh Burton in that situation.

I think we see incremental moves to bolster the pen in the next few weeks, perhaps just before, or right after the All Star break.

12. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-14-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    With so many good options available in Rochester, I don't understand the rush to get Burdi up here immediately. He should be promoted quickly but first promote the guys who have been toiling in the organization for years and have shown success.
    a. Burdi is 21.5 years old, not a kid.
    b. Burdi will be the best Righty(*) reliever in the organization as soon as they sign him.
    c. I'd rather see the Twins have him in his prime and his prime might be very close.

(*) that might actually not needed to be
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    a. Burdi is 21.5 years old, not a kid.
    b. Burdi will be the best Righty(*) reliever in the organization as soon as they sign him.
    c. I'd rather see the Twins have him in his prime and his prime might be very close.

(*) that might actually not needed to be
    Again, I don't know how you can be so confident when he hasn't faced anything remotely close to a MLB line up. Also, I doubt 21.5yrs old is his prime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12