Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries

What to do

It's June 15. The Twins are 4 games out of first in an incredibly tight division. Every team in this division is flawed. I'd expect the winner to get bounced out pretty quick, but sometimes bad teams catch lightening in a bottle and do something. The front office has clearly decided they are going for it, but there's still room for improvement. My roster changes would be as follows:

Right now most of the changes need to be made in the pitching department.

Move number 1 to be made immediately: Deduno back to the pen where he was having success. Burton traded or DFAd. Call up Kris Johnson, May, or Darnell and let them start.

Move number 2 to be made immediately: Put Pelfrey on the 60 day DL and call up Achter or Pino and slot them into the pen. Begin making attempts to trade Guerrier while his stats look good enough to get a team with a weak pen to bite.

Move number 3 (near trade deadline): Dependent on how well move 1 worked out. If they are rotating in AAA pitchers on a somewhat frequent basis, then getting rid of KC isn't going to make a lot of sense, but given his performance, they can always put Deduno back in the rotation. If they called up in the first move does well, then removing KC in favor of one of the other two AAA guys on the 40 man makes sense.

On the offense side of things, I think for the most part they can stand pat. Hicks would go to Rochester as soon as he comes off the DL. If he has indeed figured it out, then he won't have too much time showing everyone in AAA that he belongs up here. Until then, Fuld is the primary CF with Santana occasionally backing him up (at least until his bat cools off). If they are still in contention at the deadline, a trade for a marginal CF might make sense.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    That's probably right, although the severity of the injuries to Plouffe and Nunez could put a wrinkle in this.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oblique strain = 30 days on DL. That is my guess with Plouffe. If he was properly diagnosed and if he honest with the medical staff, Plouffe is going to the DL, and not just for two weeks. I suppose the team could roll with the trio of Nuñez, Escobar and Santana covering the left side, but there will be no infield depth to speak of if Plouffe is out.

I suppose the easy move is to move Deduno and designate Burton. I doubt there will be anyone claiming him. I don't see anyone on the roster who profiles as the seventh inning guy--unless Tonkin finds it again. The call-up choices to me are either May or Johnson.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Oblique strain = 30 days on DL. That is my guess with Plouffe. If he was properly diagnosed and if he honest with the medical staff, Plouffe is going to the DL, and not just for two weeks. I suppose the team could roll with the trio of Nuñez, Escobar and Santana covering the left side, but there will be no infield depth to speak of if Plouffe is out.

I suppose the easy move is to move Deduno and designate Burton. I doubt there will be anyone claiming him. I don't see anyone on the roster who profiles as the seventh inning guy--unless Tonkin finds it again. The call-up choices to me are either May or Johnson.
    How awesome would it be if Sano were healthy and crushing AA right now?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    if i was GM:
    release Burton
    Move Deduno to Bp
    Promote T May
    Move Gilmartin to AAA
    Move Berrios to AA
    Move Stewart to A
    Move gonslaves to low a

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts

If Joe wasn't in such a funk this would be the time for the Mauer at 3rd experiment. But the way things have been going with him messing with a new position seems like a bad idea. Unfortunate.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Deduno is not an option in the pen imho. Either give him more starts to get it figured out, or he is the guy you send backing. Darnell gets the first shot.

Fien is the 7th inning guy. We need a an 8th inning guy, unless Burton figues it out, we don't have one.

Arcia should be the DH, the kid is worse in the outfield than Willingham.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    Deduno is not an option in the pen imho. Either give him more starts to get it figured out, or he is the guy you send backing. Darnell gets the first shot.

Fien is the 7th inning guy. We need a an 8th inning guy, unless Burton figues it out, we don't have one.

Arcia should be the DH, the kid is worse in the outfield than Willingham.
    On cue, Arcia drops the ball. UGH.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I had been all over Arcia for his defense pre-season and then complimented him the other day.

So I think I'm to blame for this one today.

10. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-15-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oblique strain = 30 days on DL.

That is my guess with Plouffe. If he was properly diagnosed and if he honest with the medical staff, Plouffe is going to the DL, and not just for two weeks.
    They said something like bruised ribs and it looked like that than an oblique stain by the way it happened and were he was grabbing himself after he plopped on the ground.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Deduno designated Pino Up
    If Plouffe is out 30-days, let's designate Florimon and give a shot to Debinson Romero. Even if we lose Pedro, we still have Beresford and Bernier down there.
    Move Pelfrey to 60-day.
    Figure out what to do with Guerrier and Burton. Trade one and eat salary of other.
    Duensing is tradebait.
    There are relievers to promote.
    If Pino falters, you have My, Johnson and Darnell in the pipeline.
    If Correia has a good start or two, move him fast.
    I would seitch out Vargas for Parmelee now.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Big problem here. Vargas should not sit. Vargas is the better hitter, but his skill set is identical with that of Kendrys Morales. Kennys will be up here in Sept. and replace Kendrys in 2015. Also, this is the last contract season of the Twins-Rock Cats contract. They will move up the street in a 10K people ball park, the biggest in Eastern League. There are a lot in play there...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Big problem here. Vargas should not sit. Vargas is the better hitter, but his skill set is identical with that of Kendrys Morales. Kennys will be up here in Sept. and replace Kendrys in 2015. Also, this is the last contract season of the Twins-Rock Cats contract. They will move up the street in a 10K people ball park, the biggest in Eastern League. There are a lot in play there...
    Vargas goes yard again today, it's going to be hard to keep him from going to where he's needed in the pennant race in Rochester, if not Minnesota.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Deduno designated Pino Up
    If Plouffe is out 30-days, let's designate Florimon and give a shot to Debinson Romero. Even if we lose Pedro, we still have Beresford and Bernier down there.
    Move Pelfrey to 60-day.
    Figure out what to do with Guerrier and Burton. Trade one and eat salary of other.
    Duensing is tradebait.
    There are relievers to promote.
    If Pino falters, you have My, Johnson and Darnell in the pipeline.
    If Correia has a good start or two, move him fast.
    Why the rush to move relievers that are somewhat productive? Middle relievers have zero value on the trade market (maybe a low grade "prospect") and with the crummy rotation, we need these guys.

I would not be in a rush to make any big changes on the offensive side, unless you can get great value for Willingham. Like it or not, we are not out of the race yet, and shouldn't destroy those chances

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just for the sake of an argument, if Mauer goes to 3rd, who plays 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by curt1965 View Post
    Just for the sake of an argument, if Mauer goes to 3rd, who plays 1st?
    Morales and/or Parmelee.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really?

Qytewrtgrfedrftged

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alnewmanshomer View Post
    Qytewrtgrfedrftged
    Welcome to the board!

Pithy and spot on first post, but you might consider punctuation to help put emphasis to your point.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

21. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014), JB_Iowa (06-16-2014), WLFINN (06-16-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Pelfrey's not on the 60 day DL yet? What are they waiting for? Every report I have read about his recent procedure said the recovery time was 2 Months + , so why would he still be using up a 40-Man roster spot?

23. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast