Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: The next Twins manger

  1. #21
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    30
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would go after either John McGraw or Casey Stengel. McGraw loved the small ball style and I think he's available if the price is right.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by puck34 View Post
    I would go after either John McGraw or Casey Stengel. McGraw loved the small ball style and I think he's available if the price is right.
    I was a kid when Casey managed the 62 Mets--he would fit in well with this team--and would screw up names in a funny way--at least the Twins dont have two pitcher named Bob Miller (one lefty and one righty)...

    Seriously, No to Jake Mauer until Joe is gone. Yes to Brunansky and Cuellar as coaches. I think Ryan has to go outside the Twins organization for mgr. My first choice would be Ron Washington but he wont come. My second choice would be LaRussa but owners wont pay him enough. So third choice Manny Acta.

  3. #23
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,295
    Like
    1,349
    Liked 1,030 Times in 467 Posts
    If--and it's a big if--a manager change occurs the last thing I want to see is any former Twin who is brought in simply because casual fans will recognize his name. Someone from outside the organization please who is at least conversant in modern baseball thought.

    I think the more important question is "who's the next GM" anyway. My thoughts on that are the same. Someone from outside the org, young, aggressive and able to at least evaluate in modern terms.

  4. #24
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,781
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If--and it's a big if--a manager change occurs the last thing I want to see is any former Twin who is brought in simply because casual fans will recognize his name. Someone from outside the organization please who is at least conversant in modern baseball thought.

    I think the more important question is "who's the next GM" anyway. My thoughts on that are the same. Someone from outside the org, young, aggressive and able to at least evaluate in modern terms.
    Do you remember what happened to the Twins last time they got a young agressive GM from outside the organization who hired a young aggressive manager? (Good things happened, even though the Sam Mele era was pretty nice too)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm a fan of Gardenhire and Vavra, but I'm good with how this question/forum/discussion is framed.
    Seth, can you say a bit about why you're a fan of Vavra? (I've got no real beef with Gardy). I think Vavra's been an absolute disaster, and that we've been lucky enough to get by on natural talent alone. Interested in your analysis on Vavra.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    . . . I heart a log. . .
    Quoting that typo just because it's funny.

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I think Gene Glynn would make a great manager. I'd love if Doug Mientciewitz (Men-kay-vidge, I can say it not spell it) would somehow rejoin the organization as a coach or manager as well.

  8. #28
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,902
    Like
    440
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Do you remember what happened to the Twins last time they got a young agressive GM from outside the organization who hired a young aggressive manager? (Good things happened, even though the Sam Mele era was pretty nice too)

    The nostalgia goggles you get today are crap; they were so much better back in my day.NostalgiaGoggles.jpg

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    579
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    I don't care or have any wild guesses who the new manager should be. My only hope is that it is somebody from OUTSIDE the organization. New blood is needed!!! The same goes for Terry Ryan and find somebody with some talent fast before they screw up the #2 pick in the upcoming draft.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,007
    Like
    1,150
    Liked 658 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlambrecht View Post
    Quoting that typo just because it's funny.
    Speaking of typos... . Reading the title of this thread had inexplicably led me on this path following this really bright star in the sky. I wa carrying Myrrh with me. Found this cheaply constructed building out back and inside was Joe Mauer.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    590
    Like
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree with those who said it should be someone from outside.

    I don't understand those who cry endlessly for change because the "Twins way" doesn't work, but then want to replace the current regime with other guys from within the Twins organization.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If--and it's a big if--a manager change occurs the last thing I want to see is any former Twin who is brought in simply because casual fans will recognize his name. Someone from outside the organization please who is at least conversant in modern baseball thought.

    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  13. #33
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,499
    Like
    2,268
    Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree about getting someone from the outside. I would add that they should look first at the organizations that seem to do more with less, such as Tampa Bay and Toronto, or possibly Cleveland.
    Last edited by glunn; 05-09-2012 at 11:56 PM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by puck34 View Post
    I would go after either John McGraw or Casey Stengel. McGraw loved the small ball style and I think he's available if the price is right.
    Do you need some help digging and doing the Frankenstein thing or is Sylvia Brown in on it and giving instant access to your favorite manager spirits. I have more faith in the Frankenstein route... let me know if you need some help... I'll be there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.