Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: Trevor Plouffe to the DL

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,685
    Like
    3
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Note that Deibinson Romero has been a minor league free agent the past 3 winters, and re-signed with the Twins every time. I am pretty sure if we wanted to audition him in Plouffe's absence, he could clear waivers to be removed from the 40-man again later.

    And if you're not going to call him up now, with your top two 3B on the shelf, why do you really care if he might get claimed or elect FA down the road?

    Heck, you could make the argument that Romero deserves some kind of MLB look now as a reward for continually re-signing here.

  2. These 5 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014), JB_Iowa (06-16-2014), jokin (06-17-2014), mike wants wins (06-16-2014), USAFChief (06-16-2014)

  3. #42
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,772
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Note that Deibinson Romero has been a minor league free agent the past 3 winters, and re-signed with the Twins every time. I am pretty sure if we wanted to audition him in Plouffe's absence, he could clear waivers to be removed from the 40-man again later.

    And if you're not going to call him up now, with your top two 3B on the shelf, why do you really care if he might get claimed or elect FA down the road?

    Heck, you could make the argument that Romero deserves some kind of MLB look now as a reward for continually re-signing here.
    Affiliates!

  4. #43
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    Are we trying to field the worst defensive 3rd baseman to go with the worst defensive corner outfielders in baseball? I haven't heard anything good about Romero's defense, this team has a horrible defense already.

    Currently, I see the called up player as a bench player. Why use Romero over Florimon to sit on the bench?
    If that is the case, then I'd rather have a bat on the bench than a glove. I think a pinch hitter has more of a chance to impact a game than a defensive replacement does.

  5. #44
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,588
    Like
    199
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    There is some value to have someone pinch run, if Gardy could ever get the situation right.

  6. #45
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,719
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    crako, your picture is creeping me out. Heck, the cover of lazerreto is creeping me out. I can't look at statues like that at all anymore.....

    Ya, I don't get the fear of losing Romero, if you won't even call him up to play, why do you care if you lose him if you do call him up and then send him down? Assuming he has no value as a backup plan (which appears to be the case.....), why the fear?
    Lighten up Francis....

  7. #46
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    125
    Like
    26
    Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    If that is the case, then I'd rather have a bat on the bench than a glove. I think a pinch hitter has more of a chance to impact a game than a defensive replacement does.
    Even though it's probably sacrilege on TD, I'd almost go with a 13th pitcher instead of Florimon (if I knew that Nunez was 100%...which they/we were/are not totally sure on). Considering the inability of non-Hughes/Gibson starters to go >6 IP, another pitcher probably gives the greatest impact ... temporarily. It seems like the bullpen is overworked...but since it's real life and not a video game, you can't just pull up the stamina bars.

  8. #47
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    470
    Like
    220
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Let's assume for a moment that the plethora of errors committed by Florimon are the result of pouting, disappointment, and or poorer infield quality. Probably all of that. We know what he has done at the ML level defensively, and there is no reason to believe he won't continue to play good to excellent defense if called upon.

    But here's the problem, Escobar has been playing excellent defense and providing excellent offense. How in the name of all the baseball gods do you move him to 3B? You are now messing with two infield positions instead of one, further breaking continuity. And if Plouffe comes back quickly or not, your messing with two position reorganization again. Now, if Nunez is healthy and can play, you have a viable option. Don't think he's really any better or worse than Escobar at 3B, but he's been swinging a decent bat for the Twins so far this season. And his moving in at third provides the least disruption to the Infield as a whole.

    So Florimon gives you two options.

    A) A starting SS that didn't deserve to be brought up at this point, and the most disruption possible in the infield...or...

    B) A backup SS who can't be a utility player because he only plays one position.

    So I have to ask, why not do a tiny bit of roster shuffling, give Romero, an offensive and natural 3B, his first shot? OK, the defense might not be great. But it's also his normal position. I allows Nunez, who CAN play multiple positions in his role, and in theory, Romero provides at least some of Plouffe's missing offense. And if Nunez starts a day, Romero is potentially a decent RH bat off the bench.

    This is not an attack on Florimon, as I was one of those rooting for him to improve just slightly over 2013 while providing a solid stop-gap for a season or so. I just see no upside to this move that isn't accomplished better with a Romero promotion.

    And I don't buy saving the Pelrey to the 60 option for later in the season. For who/what, Meyer? Don't tell me there isn't one other move that could be made in July or August if his promotion is the decision made.

  9. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-17-2014)

  10. #48
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,772
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDean View Post
    Even though it's probably sacrilege on TD, I'd almost go with a 13th pitcher instead of Florimon (if I knew that Nunez was 100%...which they/we were/are not totally sure on). Considering the inability of non-Hughes/Gibson starters to go >6 IP, another pitcher probably gives the greatest impact ... temporarily. It seems like the bullpen is overworked...but since it's real life and not a video game, you can't just pull up the stamina bars.
    It might have been nice to have one extra free power-swinger either in the lineup tonight- or as a pinch hitter- that had the capability of putting one over the Green Monster.

  11. #49
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,772
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    crako, your picture is creeping me out. Heck, the cover of lazerreto is creeping me out. I can't look at statues like that at all anymore.....

    Ya, I don't get the fear of losing Romero, if you won't even call him up to play, why do you care if you lose him if you do call him up and then send him down? Assuming he has no value as a backup plan (which appears to be the case.....), why the fear?
    Affiliates!

  12. #50
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    crako, your picture is creeping me out. Heck, the cover of lazerreto is creeping me out. I can't look at statues like that at all anymore.....

    Ya, I don't get the fear of losing Romero, if you won't even call him up to play, why do you care if you lose him if you do call him up and then send him down? Assuming he has no value as a backup plan (which appears to be the case.....), why the fear?
    Ok, avatar changed, just so you don't have any bad dreams. In return, you can get my name right. C. R. Arko = crarko.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

  13. #51
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,719
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Ha, no need to change your avatar! And, apologies for getting your name wrong. That was just lazy.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.