Thread: Article: Kohl Stewart's Abbreviated Start, His Velocity, and Strikeouts

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Kohl Stewart's Abbreviated Start, His Velocity, and Strikeouts

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Nice interview. I think he'll figure it out.

The best strikeout pitchers don't pitch around guys though, they also pound the zone. They throw pitches the batter either can't hit or don't expect. Phil Hughes isn't pitching around guys.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Stewart was asked if the doctor visit is indicative of problems with his diabetes:

“No, no, no. It's just you're supposed to see a doctor every three months now and I haven't seen one since spring training. So the whole time, we were looking at the All-Star break as the time when I would go do that. "

I hope Kohl doesn't keep getting asked this question. Can confirm I also visit the doctor every three months as part of my care. Just a normal thing for someone with diabetes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Huge Stewart fan and love the interview.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great job, JC. Lots of clarification on just where Kohl is at.

Just wondering, have you seen enough of him this year to determine if his velocity has, in fact, ticked up a notch ( very encouraging, if true) and just how much he's putting away that slider for the future?

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    It really sounds like he trusts Arteaga. I'm impressed with the maturity he shows in knowing that he has to trust the plan for him.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Just wondering, have you seen enough of him this year to determine if his velocity has, in fact, ticked up a notch ( very encouraging, if true) and just how much he's putting away that slider for the future?
    It really is hard to say on the velocity because, as he said, the gun on the CR scoreboard is not terribly accurate. We tend to add 2 mph to what we see on the board when we estimate what a guy is throwing, but that method is anything but reliable. I don't recall him sitting as consistently in the mid 90s earlier in the year as he is now. Then again, it's been about 35 degrees warmer lately than it was in his April starts.

He's throwing the slider now. It's not getting heavy use, but it's a part of his game now. And it's a pretty darn good one.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great interview! Very mature responses! I think pitch efficiency is vastly underrated. I prefer young guys working on command. The strikeouts will come.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Nice interview. I think he'll figure it out.

The best strikeout pitchers don't pitch around guys though, they also pound the zone. They throw pitches the batter either can't hit or don't expect. Phil Hughes isn't pitching around guys.
    Isn't this what Verlander says he does as well?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Great interview. Thanks to Kohl and the Twins for making him available, and to Jim for the work. Informative for sure.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    There's a little more background on Stewart's diabetes in this article:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...xcels-20140616

Been dealing w/ it since 3rd grade so for 10 or 11 years, I'd guess.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel like the strikeout comment is a bunch of fluff. He wants them, hes just being modest about it. He seemed like he had more of a cocky attitude after the draft last year, I wonder where that went?
    Do or do not. There is no try.

C'mon Stewart. Strikeout rate couldn't be taught by anyone, that was your ability.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsbaby View Post
    C'mon Stewart. Strikeout rate couldn't be taught by anyone, that was your ability.
    Did he bully you in high school or something? There's more to this site; you should check it out.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, right, cuz there's really no difference at all between striking out HS kids and striking out 22 year old professional ballplayers. At least nothing that a professional pitching coach could possibly help out with.