Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Gwynn (Mr. Padre) Passes Away

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts

Tony Gwynn (Mr. Padre) Passes Away

Ugh. This hits really hard. Tony Gwynn was my favorite non-Twins player.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...sses-away.html

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ugh. Just terrible. I went to high school in San Diego and have very fond memories of Gwynn. He seemed like a great guy all around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    That's hard news, I was always a big fan. He and Puckett always had a lot of similarities in the evolustion of their games and what they meant to their franchises. Unfortunately passing too young is another.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    RIP

Also a casualty of the 1994 strike --- batting .394 on August 12 when play stopped.

Among the best ever.

5. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-16-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts
    Definitely one of my all-time non-Twins favorites. Class act and fun to watch.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awful, terrible news. And still so damn young! And so much still to offer.

I confess, I had forgotten of his recent battles.

You know, he never had much of anything in the way of HR power, and the second half of his career the speed began to decline and the SB's dropped considerably, though the percentage of successful tries was still there. But he was a solid doubles producer and an absolute hitting and on base machine. Gwynn, Boggs and Puckett are/were the three best, greatest, most pure hitters I have ever seen, (a healthy Mauer in that class). Gwynn could fall out of bed, stub his toe, fall in the shower, get in a car accident on the way to the ballpark, arrive late, miss batting practice, take two practice swings before stepping in to face the pitcher and still go 2 for 4 with a walk.

But the best things were his professionalism and enthusiasm. He was always a class act, always smiling, and always a team player who just loved the game and to compete. Everything from his talent and production to physical build to class and big smiles made him the NL equivalent, pretty much, to Puckett. Also taken from us way too soon. It's a shame.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    RIP. Great player and he seemed like a good guy. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    RIP. Great player and he seemed like a good guy. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Very sad. He seemed like a very good guy. I wonder if this will jump-start a conversation about chewing and baseball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    I was looking through old articles on Mr. Gwynn and found this interview with Gwynn and Stan Musial about hitting. Some really good stuff from two of the greatest hitters of all time.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...and-tony-gwynn

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    A bit of a side discussion but, as one who used chewing tobacco for 15 years, I couldn't help but notice the prominent bulge in the bottom left lip of our own Byron Buxton in the Strib article.

Let's hope he takes note of Mr. Gwynn's plea for players to stop using chewing tobacco, and starts a new chapter in his life today.

12. These 4 users like TRex's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-16-2014), jm3319 (06-16-2014), nicksaviking (06-16-2014), tobi0040 (06-16-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Sad news on what seemed to be an upbeat guy and a smart baseball guy as well as a HoF. Cautionary tale to kids about chew and what it can do to you.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    I was just reading on this and found this quote:

“I haven’t discussed that with the doctors yet, but I’m thinking it’s related to dipping,” said Gwynn, who resumed the practice of using chewing tobacco after the first two surgeries.
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/...nn-has-cancer/

Dipping must be as addictive as hell if you have 2 surgeries related to it and continue using it afterwords.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    A bit of a side discussion but, as one who used chewing tobacco for 15 years, I couldn't help but notice the prominent bulge in the bottom left lip of our own Byron Buxton in the Strib article.

Let's hope he takes note of Mr. Gwynn's plea for players to stop using chewing tobacco, and starts a new chapter in his life today.
    That is not the first picture of Buxton I have seen with a huge dip in. Very common even on high school teams. I have heard it is harder to quit chewing than smoking. It would be nice to see a discussion about this and a campaign or ban from MLB.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    My deepest sympathy to his wife, children, grandchildren, extended family and legions of fans.

I would like to see baseball take "Stand Up to Cancer" seriously rather than just as an ad slogan. They provide good funding for many types of cancer research through their efforts but just as important is matching actions to rhetoric. So yes, ban chew at all levels. But also be aware of what you do -- I was incensed when the Twins made a public presentation of a humidor to Gardenhire for his 1,000th win. Tobacco is tobacco -- and it isn't good in any form.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    My deepest sympathy to his wife, children, grandchildren, extended family and legions of fans.

I would like to see baseball take "Stand Up to Cancer" seriously rather than just as an ad slogan. They provide good funding for many types of cancer research through their efforts but just as important is matching actions to rhetoric. So yes, ban chew at all levels. But also be aware of what you do -- I was incensed when the Twins made a public presentation of a humidor to Gardenhire for his 1,000th win. Tobacco is tobacco -- and it isn't good in any form.
    I agree. A ban would be a good thing. These guys are role models. If they didn't ask for it, too bad. It comes with the territory.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

19. These 5 users like kydoty's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-16-2014), LaBombo (06-16-2014), TheLeviathan (06-17-2014), tobi0040 (06-16-2014), USAFChief (06-16-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    You were a good man, Tony Gwynn. You are missed.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    RIP
    I wish there would have been inter league games back in the 80's so we could have seen Kirby Puckett and Tony Gywnn playing against each other besides All-Star games.
    Best stats that I saw on yahoo about him.Gwynn had 45 games with at least four hits. In 2,440 career games, Gwynn had only 34 multi-strikeout games. So, the odds were better that Gwynn would get four hits than striking out twice. Let that sink in.

22. These 2 users like darin617's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-16-2014), USAFChief (06-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 508 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gwynn's death is plain and simply - awful. When I read the news this morning I had waves of nostalgia and melancholy run over me - maybe, I was even a bit misty eyed.

When I was able to watch Gwynn play, it was always a treat - the man was a hitting machine. Other than that, I checked the box score everyday to see what Tony Gwynn had done or where his BA was at.

After his career was finished, I always enjoyed when I was able to hear him guest announce a game on ESPN or whatever network - I cannot recall. His baseball acumen and love for the game, always made him an educational and enjoyable watch and listen. He was baseball family - I felt like I knew him.

7 times hitting over .350 is astonishing!

Rest well Tony Gwynn Sr., you will never be forgotten.

24. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-16-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Very sad. He seemed like a very good guy. I wonder if this will jump-start a conversation about chewing and baseball.

I hope so!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast