Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Twins should spend top $$ for an Ace?

Why the Twins should spend top $$ for an Ace?

If you look at every team that has won or been to a World Series they had either a HOF quality pitcher or a guy that dominated for a 5+ year span and pitched his team to the World Series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rting_pitchers. They had an Ace.

’87 Twins = Viola, Blyleven. ’91 Twins = Morris, Erickson Two HOFs and 2 guys that had great 5 years stretches.

Since Santana, the Twins have not had this type of guy, and will not make it or go far in the playoffs until they do. The Twins may not be able to sign an Ace, but they can trade for one. And I for one would give up valuable prospects for a known commodity. What % of prospects actually make it in the majors vs getting a known commodity?

Obviously, you may give up some good players in a trade, but you may also be giving up on top prospects such as David McCarty, BJ Garbe, Ryan Mills, Adam Johnson, Matt Moses, Kyle Waldrop, Matthew Fox. All very high drafts picks or considered top prospects.

Sooooooo, which "ace" are you thinking is available? And which prospects are you wanting to give up to get said ace? Known commodity "aces" are still susceptible to injury/decline, so I'd be hesitant to just start throwing away top prospects (Buxton/Sano/Rosario/etc) and thinking that acquiring an ace will win us the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanaakre View Post
    Sooooooo, which "ace" are you thinking is available? And which prospects are you wanting to give up to get said ace? Known commodity "aces" are still susceptible to injury/decline, so I'd be hesitant to just start throwing away top prospects (Buxton/Sano/Rosario/etc) and thinking that acquiring an ace will win us the World Series.
    Didn't have an Ace in mind for this thread, but I would give up any prospect besides Buxton and Sano for the right pitcher.

Yes, "aces" are prone to injury and decline, but I don't believe you can win a World Series without one, so eventually you have to take a risk. Or you end up waiting for one to develop in your minor leagues, which doesn't happen very often.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Not to be a downer, but isnt this discussion a few years too soon? It seems the target is now 2016 with the injuries to both Buxton and Sano, which likely gives the Twins 2 full years to determine if they have an 'Ace' in the system, whether it be Meyer or possibly Stewart. I think we should revisit this discussion in 2 years, when we know whether we have the top prospects to trade for an ace.

5. This user likes kdrupp09's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-17-2014)

Isn't that what Kansas City did to get James Shields? They gave up their top rated minor league hitter for an "Ace" when they thought they were on the verge of returning to contention.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    Isn't that what Kansas City did to get James Shields? They gave up their top rated minor league hitter for an "Ace" when they thought they were on the verge of returning to contention.
    And unfortunately for KC they essentially traded 5 or 6 years of Wil Myers for 2 years of Shields, both of which they are not going to make the playoffs in, which can be taken as a lesson for the Twins, be extremely cautious about trading top prospects for pitching when you believe you are ready to return to contention.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Y View Post
    Didn't have an Ace in mind for this thread, but I would give up any prospect besides Buxton and Sano for the right pitcher.

Yes, "aces" are prone to injury and decline, but I don't believe you can win a World Series without one, so eventually you have to take a risk. Or you end up waiting for one to develop in your minor leagues, which doesn't happen very often.
    Maybe we have different definitions of an ace. When I think of an ace, I think of Kershaw, Price, Felix Hernandez, Wainwright, Darvish. How are we going to get one of those guys without trading Buxton or Sano?

I agree that the Twins need a top of the line pitcher if we want to win a World Series, but I don't see how we can get one without trading Buxton or Sano.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    The better way to go is to buy your ace in Free Agency but the Twins have always been to fearful of the long contract, injury and possible dead money to do it. I would be wary to give up prospects for an ace unless that is your one missing piece.

Most likely If you follow the Twins you will have to wait them to develop an ace. So keep after them to draft pitchers with ace potential and lots of them because they break easily.

Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    by KDRUPP09 "Not to be a downer, but isnt this discussion a few years too soon? It seems the target is now 2016 with the injuries to both Buxton and Sano, which likely gives the Twins 2 full years to determine if they have an 'Ace' in the system, whether it be Meyer or possibly Stewart. I think we should revisit this discussion in 2 years, when we know whether we have the top prospects to trade for an ace."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    The better way to go is to buy your ace in Free Agency but the Twins have always been to fearful of the long contract, injury and possible dead money to do it. I would be wary to give up prospects for an ace unless that is your one missing piece.

Most likely If you follow the Twins you will have to wait them to develop an ace. So keep after them to draft pitchers with ace potential and lots of them because they break easily.

Since we are having this conversation 2 years too soon I'll put my comment from 2 years from now here. The most cost effective way to get an ace is to trade your CF on the high side for high-end pitching prospects in the lower levels of the minors Ex May and Meyer......or we can stink real bad for a year or two and draft Stewart and Barrios or sign him as an international free agent (Thorpe) any one of those should end up being good enough to be our ace. we can get by just fine with a 5 deep rotation.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-16-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Signing one is not easy, giving up a prospect is a real gamble. My guess is the Twins wait to see which of the 4-5 top pitchers in the minors become an ace.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    The two "aces" available this trade deadline (at least rumored to be available) are David Price from Tampa Bay and Jeff Samardzija from the Cubs.
    Of the two, Price has the better likelihood of being an Ace for the Twins. However, Tampa has been asking for quite a haul for their players whenever they have been sellers. Either player will probably mean losing one or more top prospect. I don't think the Twins will go for that.

I think Kansas City's mistakes in going all-in for James Shields were A) they acquired their Ace before the supporting cast was ready and B) they gave up too much for a pitcher that is very good, though not on quite the same level as Price is.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Y View Post
    If you look at every team that has won or been to a World Series they had either a HOF quality pitcher or a guy that dominated for a 5+ year span and pitched his team to the World Series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rting_pitchers. They had an Ace.

’87 Twins = Viola, Blyleven. ’91 Twins = Morris, Erickson Two HOFs and 2 guys that had great 5 years stretches.

Since Santana, the Twins have not had this type of guy, and will not make it or go far in the playoffs until they do. The Twins may not be able to sign an Ace, but they can trade for one. And I for one would give up valuable prospects for a known commodity. What % of prospects actually make it in the majors vs getting a known commodity?

Obviously, you may give up some good players in a trade, but you may also be giving up on top prospects such as David McCarty, BJ Garbe, Ryan Mills, Adam Johnson, Matt Moses, Kyle Waldrop, Matthew Fox. All very high drafts picks or considered top prospects.
    Even though we are doing well i think trading for an ace is premature. Sano and Buxton are in AA currently. Meyer and May are seemingly almost ready. I just don't think the current team is good enough to trade for an elite pitcher and the cost that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    And unfortunately for KC they essentially traded 5 or 6 years of Wil Myers for 2 years of Shields, both of which they are not going to make the playoffs in, which can be taken as a lesson for the Twins, be extremely cautious about trading top prospects for pitching when you believe you are ready to return to contention.

I guess I should have clarified that they need to trade for an ace pitcher when they are contending, not necessarily this year. However, in a couple of years if the Twins are close, I would absolutely trade a Will Myers for a James Shields and try and win over the 2 years you may have Shields. You don't get many chances to win it all and sometimes you have to take chances. Yes, if the trade sets the franchise back a couple years it would hurt, but the waiting for an ace to develop in the minor leagues can take many more years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Besides signing an ace, they could develop one. Both Meyer and Stewart have that ceiling. Santana obviously. And occasionally a #2 or 3 has a ace type season - Twins got one from Tapani in 91. Radke had a few. Joe Mays actually led the AL in ERA+ one year and was second in pitching WAR. I'd rather the Twins focused on developing a complete rotation rather than worrying about who the #1 pitcher is.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I think Kansas City's mistakes in going all-in for James Shields were A) they acquired their Ace before the supporting cast was ready and B) they gave up too much for a pitcher that is very good, though not on quite the same level as Price is.
    While any team should balk at giving up a talent like Wil Myers, that's what it takes to get two years of an "ace" pitcher.

Kansas City's mistake wasn't so much that they overpaid, it's that their timing was awful. They could have sat on Myers for a season (and his value would have actually been higher after last year's RoY campaign) and traded for Price instead of Shields. If you have a guy like Wil Myers in your system, teams will line up to trade for him almost every season.

Anyway, back on topic. Ace pitchers are nice. They are not needed to win a World Series, though they certainly help.

But the idea of the Twins trading away a top prospect for a couple of years of an "ace" is laughable at best, grounds to fire the entire front office at worst. They simply aren't in the position to make that kind of move right now.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Well, they could have just bought Greinke, and this offseason there might be some great pitchers there.....but no one thinks they'll go that route.

As for trading for a proven veteran Ace type? Given the rest of the roster, unless they plan to add other pieces, it is not the right time to trade for one.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    I think building the foundation of the team is essential. The Twins could try to trade for Price, for instance, but it doesn't solve all the problems at once.

Also, if the Twins are looking to sign an Ace as a free agent, have a great supporting cast is a factor for the free agent. It's different for every player - sometimes they just are looking for the biggest contract, but most marquee free agents would pick a team that will win games and be competitive. They are going to get paid no matter who they sign with, so winning is important.

The more competitive the roster gets, the easier it will be sign a guy like Grienke (or potential 2015 Free Agent Jon Lester...)

19. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-18-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    The two "aces" available this trade deadline (at least rumored to be available) are David Price from Tampa Bay and Jeff Samardzija from the Cubs.
    Of the two, Price has the better likelihood of being an Ace for the Twins. However, Tampa has been asking for quite a haul for their players whenever they have been sellers. Either player will probably mean losing one or more top prospect. I don't think the Twins will go for that.

I think the issue with the Shields trade is that KC did not require an extension as part of the deal. It was noted before, but they had control over Myers for 5 years and he was probably relatively signable for another 2-3. If they would have signed Shields to a 4-5 year extension the deal could have been at least defensible.

A similar deal for Price would definitely involve Buxton or Sano, plus something as the Rays got the #3 prospect in the game (Myers) and the #35 prospect (Odorizzi). I would not be in favor of that deal for Price, just to turn around and have to pay him $25M a year. As good as Jeff S. has been this year, we are talking about a 29 year old guy with a career 3.99 ERA, who wants a 6+ year deal in excess of $100M. No thanks.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 06-17-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Lester or Shields this offseason as FA?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    What about Lester or Shields this offseason as FA?
    I just don't see starting pitching being an immediate need. The Twins need to determine what they have in May and Meyer this season. Next season, they'll probably need to determine what they have in Berrios.

With Gibson, Nolasco, and Hughes virtually locked into the rotation, there simply isn't room to continue adding free agent starters.

And that's not even including guys like Johnson, Pino, and Gilmartin...

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

beckmt (06-17-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast