Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Orioles Need a Catcher

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries

Orioles Need a Catcher

MLBTR reported Wieters upcoming Tj surgery. Kurt Suzuki and Russell Martin were mentioned as possible trade targets if either team drops off.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...n-surgery.html

Catchers are in short supply. Suzuki will likely be the Twins only good trade chip if the Twins decide to sell.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They will start having 40 man roster issues soon with the wave of players coming in the next few years that will require to be added to the 40 man. I don't see Suzuki bringing much in prospect value wise that would make a trade worthwhile. I don't see teams giving up more than fringe 40 man roster talent with a tinge of upside left.

With how he's played & fit with the team, signing him to a 2 year extension to play 50% then 40% of the games in the respective years wouldn't be a bad option.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Possible targets? I know next to nothing of the orioles system.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    If you are Baltimore or Toronto, you will not have many seasons with both New York AND Boston as beatable as they seem to be this year. Tampa Bay, too... I bet Baltimore will be willing to give up something good for a dependable catcher.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
    I see almost no chance the Twins trade Clutchuki.....they haven't trusted Pinto with even a third of the games when he was up here...would be way more Hermann or Fryer than I want to see. Even if we lose a bunch soon and Suzuki stays hot we need a respectable catcher

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Michael Ohlman is a pretty solid catching prospect, well, more so a hitter. Reports say he calls a good game, however struggles blocking balls with his 6'5"+ frame. He's 23 and at Bowie (AA - Eastern League - same as New Britain) hitting .236/.321/.330. Last season he hit .313/.410/.524 in the Florida State League...pretty solid numbers as a 22 year old (avg age was around 23).

But that said, he's not ready. But if he hits well enough in AA this year he could be in the mix for next year.

Matt Wieters becomes a Free Agent after 2015, and Buck Showalter has gone on record the Yankees will sign him (sarcasm, not literally now with McCann signed, but saying he'll take the big contract). So Suzuki would be a good rental (or another like him) in the interim of the rest of this year, Wieters returns in 2015...Ohlman backs him up and takes over in 2016 should the Showalter prophecy come true regarding Wieters.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    I see almost no chance the Twins trade Clutchuki.....they haven't trusted Pinto with even a third of the games when he was up here...would be way more Hermann or Fryer than I want to see. Even if we lose a bunch soon and Suzuki stays hot we need a respectable catcher
    I am inclined to agree with you. The Twins won't trade the motorcylce at least not this early as they don't have anything great behind him either. The Orioles would have to give up more than he is worth for a half year rental to get him from the Twins. Maybe later in the season if the Twins are out of it but even then they likely would have to give up quite a bit to get him. I don't see this happening for either club although it is fun to think about.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The article in MLBTR starts with the premise that they will be available if the Twins or Pirates drop out of contention. If the Twins go on a winning streak and get 4 or more games above .500 in the next month, Suzuki will not be traded.

Starting catchers, shortstops, centerfielders and middle to top of the rotation starting pitching are the good trade currency at the deadline. Few starting catchers will be on the market. Many teams won't have an adequate replacement to slide in. Suzuki will have positional trade value this summer that the Twins won't find in anyone else.

During the winter their will be options to replace him. It would be a mistake to sign him to an extension.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Lots of good pitchers and a couple position players.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    They will start having 40 man roster issues soon with the wave of players coming in the next few years that will require to be added to the 40 man. I don't see Suzuki bringing much in prospect value wise that would make a trade worthwhile. I don't see teams giving up more than fringe 40 man roster talent with a tinge of upside left.

With how he's played & fit with the team, signing him to a 2 year extension to play 50% then 40% of the games in the respective years wouldn't be a bad option.
    There's always the Butera example to work with. The Twins can do much better than a Sulbaran-type in return for Suzuki.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The article in MLBTR starts with the premise that they will be available if the Twins or Pirates drop out of contention. If the Twins go on a winning streak and get 4 or more games above .500 in the next month, Suzuki will not be traded.

Starting catchers, shortstops, centerfielders and middle to top of the rotation starting pitching are the good trade currency at the deadline. Few starting catchers will be on the market. Many teams won't have an adequate replacement to slide in. Suzuki will have positional trade value this summer that the Twins won't find in anyone else.

During the winter their will be options to replace him. It would be a mistake to sign him to an extension.
    Somebody, especially in the AL, will be hankering for a bat. The Twins have 2, both of whom are also relatively inexpensive- they would bring something fairly decent in return if they continue to hit anywhere near their current production levels.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins love Suzuki too much right now. Especially Gardenhire. We'd only let go of him for starting pitching, and we aren't gonna get any of that for just Suzuki. I think newly acquired catcher Nick Hundley will suffice for Baltimore, even if he isn't that good right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Somebody, especially in the AL, will be hankering for a bat. The Twins have 2, both of whom are also relatively inexpensive- they would bring something fairly decent in return if they continue to hit anywhere near their current production levels.
    I assume you are talking about Willingham and Morales.

While they certainly could expect a C prospect there is little precedent for better return in recent years. If a team loses a DH or LF, they will always have internal solutions. There will also be a greater supply of players that can play DH or a poor LF.

The lack of in season supply at catcher will drive Suzuki's value up.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    I think traditionally teams look for pitching help or a bat at the deadline. In specific cases, a team might be looking for help at a position like catcher, but it's more likely they're looking for, say, right handed power and will find a place to play it.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

15. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Several bats and relievers will exchange hands and get C prospects in return. The majority of trades will fit this model.

Suzuki can get a better return if a competing team loses a catcher to injury. Last year the Tigers traded top prospect Garcia to fill their SS position when Peralta was injured. Most teams don't have good long term solutions to slide into the catcher or shortstop position.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Knowing the Twins they'll say 'Suzuki is not available. Any interest in Pinto?'

If we're still below .500, hopefully the front office answers the phone, and someone makes the Twins an offer they can't refuse.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Orioles have a specific need for C, and if Suzuki is made available it could be a good fit for a team making a push for the playoffs. The trouble is, I don't think the Twins will be far enough out to be sellers, or close enough to go all in.

Again we'll see the Twins stand pat.

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    How about Dylan Bundy for starters?

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Knowing the Twins they'll say 'Suzuki is not available. Any interest in Pinto?'
    Or we could offer them Fryer - he's batting .600

22. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-17-2014)