Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/16): May Annexes June 16th

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/16): Max Annexes June 16th

Who is pitching for Rochester on Wednesday and Thursday? I'm in the area and may go to one of the games.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    It was originally Pino (Tues), Meyer (Wed) and Darnell (Thur). Now Gilmartin is pitching Tuesday and the feeling is that everyone is being bumped back a day... and that its possible that Darnell pitches Thursday for the Twins.

Is it possible that Berrios goes up to AA to take Gilmartin's spot in the rotation?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How does Logan Darnell profile in the majors?

His minor league strike out, walk and ground ball rates suggest that he might be able to develop into a Brian Duensing type career.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 373 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

His minor league strike out, walk and ground ball rates suggest that he might be able to develop into a Brian Duensing type career.
    That would be a good comp.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    Is it possible that Berrios goes up to AA to take Gilmartin's spot in the rotation?
    Gotta think so, although on the broadcast of Berrios' last Miracle game, the thought from the announcer was that management supposedly would keep Jose with the Miracle in a possible first-half pennant-clinching situation (First half ends on Wednesday) at the very least, before he would move up to New Britain.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    I think Wheeler would be ahead of Berrios in the promotion line, but that's just my opinion.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Darnell is replacing Deduno.

I'm a bit higher on Darnell than most in that I think he can be a pretty solid number 3. His K rate has been climbing as he's reached tougher competition, so I'm not sure that using his minor league numbers are appropriate here. The guy can miss some bats. Looking forward to seeing him pitch in MN.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Sounds like Darnell is replacing Deduno.

I'm a bit higher on Darnell than most in that I think he can be a pretty solid number 3. His K rate has been climbing as he's reached tougher competition, so I'm not sure that using his minor league numbers are appropriate here. The guy can miss some bats. Looking forward to seeing him pitch in MN.
    Have we gotten any indications on the potential corresponding roster move? I don't think the Twins will try to sneak Deduno through waivers, is there another pitcher who can go down to make sure the Twins can keep Deduno?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Gotta think so, although on the broadcast of Berrios' last Miracle game, the thought from the announcer was that management supposedly would keep Jose with the Miracle in a possible first-half pennant-clinching situation (First half ends on Wednesday) at the very least, before he would move up to New Britain.
    And I think that's only fair. The team works so hard to try to get to the playoffs. What's one more start. I also agree that Wheeler is likely the next in line for promotion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I think Wheeler would be ahead of Berrios in the promotion line, but that's just my opinion.
    Only because this team more often than not promotes based on seniority rather than results. Wheeler is definately deserving of a promotion, but Berrios has been better.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Wheeler is also 3 years older, pitching well and was in Ft. Myers all of last season too. He should move up.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is no one complaining about May throwing 120 pitches. That would be a lot for an established pitcher in the MLB. It makes no sense in AAA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just guessing here, but I imagine they'll be able to find room in New Britain's rotation for both guys before too awful long.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Why is no one complaining about May throwing 120 pitches. That would be a lot for an established pitcher in the MLB. It makes no sense in AAA.
    He's a different kind of prospect - he's thrown 150 innings or more the last three seasons. Durability is a big part of his make up. He should be throwing 110 or more pitches at this point. 120 is nothing to get worried about.

Also, he should be called up before Darnell.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Thielbar still has options if they want to bump someone from the bullpen. Otherwise they could just release Jared Burton and keep Deduno.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Oh, there's hubbub about it. You're just not looking in the right places.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

I think he's a potential innings eating #4 or #5 type, and he could of course move into a long relief LOOGY role if that doesn't stick.

I got a chance to catch his last start. I was along the third base which was not the best view, but he seemed to be going mostly fastball/changeup. His fastball was sitting between 86 and 89 according to the ballpark pitch speed (not sure if there's a bias on it), and I saw him hit as high as 91 a couple times. His changeup seemed to be a bit off that night; it sat around 80 or 81 but he was missing with it a lot and I don't remember seeing a lot of swings and misses on it. I also noticed him mixing in a curveball around 78 mph which was probably his better secondary offering that night. I remember at least one swinging K on the curve (which earned everyone in the stadium a free taco), and the opposing batters didn't seem to be able to get real solid contact on it. He's got a pretty compact delivery and it looks like he hides the ball behind his head until the last moment which could add a little deception.

I personally think he's got the stuff to make a career in the majors, providing decent value filling out the back of a rotation.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Thielbar still has options if they want to bump someone from the bullpen. Otherwise they could just release Jared Burton and keep Deduno.
    Just in reading the postgame tea leaves, when a reporter was fishing for compliments for Thielbar for striking out the side last night (sandwiches around some control issues and hittability), Gardy didn't offer any sign of recognition for Thielber for "getting after it" or "battiling his tail off", while he made certain to praise Burton for his effort (as rare as it has come this season). But the Twins do need another lefty in the pen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast