Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After several tough losses

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries

After several tough losses

The Twins are now sitting at their pythag expected record. 32-36 and a .471 winning percentage. Over a 162 game season, that's a 76 win pace.

Definitely an improvement and better than many of us expected. With additions to the rotation almost certainly on the way, do you expect the Twins to finish over or under 76 games?

I'll play the optimist card and say over by 1-3 games.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    I'm holding out hope for a .500 season, so I will say over.

Fingers crossed for more addition by subtraction in the rotation and the bullpen, and the health of the hitters to improve and maintain through the rest of the year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm going exactly right on 76.

Mauer is showing no progress, and I have my doubts about some of the hot hitters (and there appears to be no help in the minors for hitting this year). I do think the pitching can get a bit better, though. So, less runs scored, but less rund given up, about where they are now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    A final record of 76-86 sounds about right. Nice improvement over last year.

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    Under. 73-89. Just missing another 90 loss season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I'm gonna go right at 73 games. I see nothing from this team that would lead me to believe they can go on a long winning streak or win 15 of 20. On the flip side, this team is good enough that a long losing streak seems impossible, as does losing 15 of 20. Feels like they'll be right around .500 all season.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I said 75 wins at the beginning of the season, and I'd happily be wrong if that number is higher. I think that would be a nice showing for this season.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This team baffles me at times. They show flashes of being able to run off a long streak of wins, then they revert to the Twins of 2011-2013 and simply look pathetic. The bonus is they've been able to play Jekyll & Hyde almost evenly this season. Assuming they don't hit a tailspin like they have during each of the last three seasons, I'll still shoot over (78-81 wins) but I'm not nearly as comfortable saying that as I have been.
    Last edited by iTwins; 06-17-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Well, if they could eliminate offensive weaknesses and field the team they want, and I also often question Gardy's lineup construction.

Santana has fallen nicely into the leadoff position for now.

Arcia has come abck to earth. What gives here.

Where do you really bat Dozier...5th, 7th?

What is going on with Mauer.

Suddenly the Twins have a leadoff batter, but not faring well in the #2 and #3 spots, with the #9 hitter hitting up a storm. What gives.

The starting pitching hs to get consistent. The 5th spot in the rotation should now be a rotation to try out the future. Bring them up and send them down. Start with Pino. Follow with Johnson. Look at May.

Open up a bullpen spot for Darnell orAchter or try out Aaron Thompson. You still have Tonkin and Oliveros and Guerra and Iberra in the wings.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Unless they make a few moves or stay incredibly healthy for the rest of the year, this is where I peg them.

I would say under. Let's not forget the 2013 team had the EXACT SAME record of 32-36 through 68 games before going 34-60 the rest of the way. My guess is 70-92.

12. This user likes glanzer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (06-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    We keep hearing that this time is different, that the team is better this year than the last three years, and I still believe that to be a true statement.

I just wonder when that true statement will be reflected in the standings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While 76 wins is an improvement in number, it doesn't mean the team has improved going forward. It is not enough wins to continue playing the decline phase players to the end of the season.

Improving...

Hughes looks to be a big plus.
    Gibson looks like he can be at least a number 4.
    Dozier continues his second half of last year.
    Escobar may be a starting SS.
    Plouffe looks more consistent and better with the glove.

However...

Mauer may be a big burden.
    The bullpen is showing signs of decline.
    Willingham, Morales and Suzuki will have played key roles getting to 76 but all are becoming free agents. Even if resigned, there performance should be expected to decline.

In order to be an improved team going into 2015, the Twins really need to invest in more of the future. That can still happen starting August 1 if they become sellers.

They need to continue playing Arcia regularly.
    They need to play Escobar at SS regularly.
    Pinto needs the majority of starts at catcher.
    Hicks needs to play well in AAA and be a regular upon return
    Meyer and May need to get 10 starts each.
    They need to get some young arms innings in the bullpen.
    They need to give a September call up to Rosario and Vargas.

Making that shift for the last two months may mean that they win 72 instead of 76. They will be better off for it next year and hopefully acquire some minor league depth in the process.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Optimistically, before the season started, I predicted the Twins had made just enough upgrades and had enough help on the way to improve to the point of winning somewhere in the range of 70-74 wins- but still a bat and a starting pitcher short of becoming a fringe contender. Even though they now have the bat, and even though the vibe and character on this team for competing has definitely changed versus the last 3 years, I'm regrettably sticking with my prediction (perhaps now at the higher end of that range), until and unless the Twins prove they get a real shot in the arm from the pitching call-ups and/or another outside player deal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Comparing last year's record and this year's record at this point in time is only helpful insofar as you look at the schedules played thus far. It's still early enough in the season that the dumb way MLB does scheduling has an impact on the standings.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    At one point I was getting really optimistic about playing meaningful games in September because the second half schedule looked so favorable, but with all the parity this year who knows what will happen

Of the 66 total games after the All-Star break, 43 are against Central Division foes

Chicago-11
    Cleveland-12
    Detroit-10
    Kansas City-10

For inter league games, we get San Diego and Arizona at home for 2 and 3 games, respectively.

Tampa bay-3
    Oakland-4
    Houston 3
    Baltimore-4
    LA Angels-4

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    At the beginning of the year, I said I would take the under at 72.5 wins. I'll stick with that at the top end (72-90) and keep pulling for them the rest of the way to hit the over and then some.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As guys from AAA get moved in the starting rotation and bullpen spots, I forsee some significant troubles as they get their feet wet at the MLB level. I don't think this team can win 76 games, but like Seth, I'd be happy to be wrong.

73-75 wins makes 2014 a success. The real question is will this team, like the Twins of the past couple seasons, tank horrendously in September when they are clearly out of the race?

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    While 76 wins is an improvement in number, it doesn't mean the team has improved going forward. It is not enough wins to continue playing the decline phase players to the end of the season.

Improving...

Hughes looks to be a big plus.
    Gibson looks like he can be at least a number 4.
    Dozier continues his second half of last year.
    Escobar may be a starting SS.
    Plouffe looks more consistent and better with the glove.

However...

Mauer may be a big burden.
    The bullpen is showing signs of decline.
    Willingham, Morales and Suzuki will have played key roles getting to 76 but all are becoming free agents. Even if resigned, there performance should be expected to decline.

In order to be an improved team going into 2015, the Twins really need to invest in more of the future. That can still happen starting August 1 if they become sellers.

They need to continue playing Arcia regularly.
    They need to play Escobar at SS regularly.
    Pinto needs the majority of starts at catcher.
    Hicks needs to play well in AAA and be a regular upon return
    Meyer and May need to get 10 starts each.
    They need to get some young arms innings in the bullpen.
    They need to give a September call up to Rosario and Vargas.

Making that shift for the last two months may mean that they win 72 instead of 76. They will be better off for it next year and hopefully acquire some minor league depth in the process.
    Really great post Jorgen!

i think you just about nailed my thoughts.

I'm still on the .500 wagon as I feel the Twins are really close, a little more day to day consistency, one more SP to step up, and a little tweaking of the pen could lead us there. And I think this might be one of those good, fun Septembers where some youngsters give a lift, vs a bunch of nobodies filling in.

Just a couple thoughts.

Dont feel Mauer will be a burden next season. Hope he still turns it around second half. I just think its a big change and maybe some after affects from last season.
    I'd love to sign Morales. Gives Vargas and others time.
    We need Willingham, healthy, on a 1 year, or another FA.
    Suzuki for another year is a good idea, despite regression, to partner Pinto.
    Hoping Soriano gets a shot in September as a bridge player, but another FA short term can only help depth and options.
    Not sure Meyer will get those 10 starts. Doesn't mean he can't get a couple, along with some pen innings.

Im actually more excited for the second half of the season.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    As guys from AAA get moved in the starting rotation and bullpen spots, I forsee some significant troubles as they get their feet wet at the MLB level. I don't think this team can win 76 games, but like Seth, I'd be happy to be wrong.

73-75 wins makes 2014 a success. The real question is will this team, like the Twins of the past couple seasons, tank horrendously in September when they are clearly out of the race?
    I think you're right that we may lose a few more games getting the rookies some experience, but I won't care about that. I'll just be happy to see them pitch.

I also don't think they'll collapse. Remember that last year, about the only potent bat they had in the lineup was Mauer, and he went down the last, what?, 6 to 8 weeks of the season. This year, Mauer isn't hitting like Mauer (I still maintain that there are lingering effects of the concussion and time off!) and yet the Twins have looked better than last year. Barring the loss of Dozier to injury, e.g., or the fire sale of Willingham, Morales, Suzuki, etc., I just don't see as much of a chance to plummet.

22. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-17-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast