Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After several tough losses

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Maybe for an NBA or NHL fan it makes sense, not as much for baseball..
    Yeah. Bad baseball teams take time to get back into contention most of the time. Should Astros fans not be optimistic about their team showing flashes of competency? They're still a bad team.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yeah. Bad baseball teams take time to get back into contention most of the time. Should Astros fans not be optimistic about their team showing flashes of competency? They're still a bad team.
    What are the Twins? They have a rotation that is coming on, although they rank next to last in the AL in ERA, a decent infield, and production on one corner of the outfield with potential on the other. The only true black hole is center field. I would classify the bullpen as middle of the road. Does that combination make a bad team or something a bit better?

I think the Twins have endured a miserable schedule, that really doesn't get better until after the All-Star break. MLB had their "RPI" as in the middle (14th-15th?) before the five-game slide. For every piece of production that is unsustainable, there seems to be someone that figures to come on (Nolasco, Mauer).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    After swimming half way across the river, I just can't turn back now. So I'll stick with the under.

Another quick 5 game losing streak and we are cooked. That could signal the promotion of some that really won't lead to anything more than experience. But I'm hoping we can crawl back near the .500 mark. Hard to do if you don't score runs though.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    What are the Twins? They have a rotation that is coming on, although they rank next to last in the AL in ERA, a decent infield, and production on one corner of the outfield with potential on the other. The only true black hole is center field. I would classify the bullpen as middle of the road. Does that combination make a bad team or something a bit better?
    And that's the $64,000 question. I expected 71-73 wins going into the season. Now I think they'll be a bit above that mark, maybe a 75 win team.

Is is possible they approach the .500 mark this season? Absolutely, but I'm still skeptical.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Everybody is going to have a different definition of "success." Compared to the last three years, sure, the Twins have shown that they are capable of being much better than they have been. But is that the same thing as being successful?
    I don't mean to discredit the progress and improvement shown, but I would fall short of saying that another 10 wins this year equals a success.
    I would say that another 10 wins this year brings the team closer to success, and sets them up well for success (i.e. a winning record and the Playoffs) in 2015 or 2016.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    As of now the Twins are truly a .500 team.

Nolasco/Mauer coming up big the rest of the way is what could put them into an above .500 team. May/Meyer coming on like gangbusters wouldn't hurt as well!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post

I think the Twins have endured a miserable schedule, that really doesn't get better until after the All-Star break. MLB had their "RPI" as in the middle (14th-15th?) before the five-game slide. For every piece of production that is unsustainable, there seems to be someone that figures to come on (Nolasco, Mauer).
    ERA ranks third to last, as of when I checked ESPN.com earlier.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    ERA ranks third to last, as of when I checked ESPN.com earlier.
    The starters are next-to-last in ERA (I used the split for "as starter"). However, the more all-encompassing stat is runs allowed per inning and, in fact, they are 11th (out of 15 there).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    As of now the Twins are truly a .500 team.

Nolasco/Mauer coming up big the rest of the way is what could put them into an above .500 team. May/Meyer coming on like gangbusters wouldn't hurt as well!
    Well, no. Truly they are a sub .500 team by most any measure I can see.

Though I grant if they get themselves a monkey's paw or some kind of sacred pact with a diety that allows everything to go right for them that they could be better than that going forward.

I'll keep saying it - I expect Meyer and May to get called up and struggle, because that's what typically happens with young players. Their presence this year is an investment ala Gibson. We shouldn't expect anything more than that. (Though we may be pleasantly surprised too)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123