Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 127

Thread: Yohan Pino to start Thursday / Deduno moved to pen

  1. #21
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    375
    Like
    74
    Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Give Johnson and Logan and Pino all one start, and then bring up May followed by Meyer. OK. I like change. At least it is something, and NOT Diamond. Correia, Deduno, and Nolasco can all sit for a while and I would be happy. Burton, too. Maybe Pino will have a shutout going with 100 pitches going into the 9th and be pulled because you don't want to mess with a 30 year old arm for the one start. May is the only one you want to do that with, eh?

  2. #22
    Happy for Pino, he deserves a shot. Make an impression Yohan!

  3. #23
    9+ years he has spent in the Twins minor league system. One of those things I truly love about baseball. The guy is 30 years old, finally going to get a taste of the big leagues. Good luck Yohan!

  4. #24
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    395
    Like
    3
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Meh. Better than nothing. I assume if Nunez is back by Thursday, they can send Florimon out, and if not, the can DL him.

  5. #25
    I find it very annoying when people say why didn't they call up May or Meyer? It's pretty obvious that they want them to stay there until they dominate like Pino and Johnson did in AAA. The next reason is because they didn't/ don't deserve the opportunity to be up here like Pino and Johnson have because of the way the two have destroyed the minors and Meyer has not pitched as well as any of the five. And finally Meyer on a pitch count limit, so he will most likely not come up this year. For May he will get his chance soon if he continues but he's still behind Johnson on the call up list.

    Good for Pino and hopefully he does well.

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,107
    Like
    626
    Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Good for Pino. Don't understand why May didn't get the call. He's the obvious choice IMO.
    Statistically Pino has been far better. I know he's thirty and a junk ball pitcher and less likely to sustain quality, but if 1.9 era and 9k/9 innings doesn't get you to the bigs, what will?

  7. These 2 users like Sconnie's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (06-18-2014), Dman (06-17-2014)

  8. #27
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    484
    Like
    220
    Liked 177 Times in 100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Good for Pino! It's still surprising to me he hasn't tasted a cup of coffee to this point in his career. Never a prime prospect, he's had some pretty solid milb years. 30 years old and nothing special in his arsenal. But still, you simply can't deny what he's been doing this season. He deserves a shot at some point. However, I agree with Seth that this might be a limited opportunity with another move in a few days to a week, probably May.

    More than a little disappointed in Deduno as I expected more based on last season. He was solid in the pen this year overall, and while not overwhelming, his first few starts were at least OK. Trying too hard the past couple of starts? I don't know. Was thinking he might get at least one more start to see if he could turn it around, but can find no fault in this move. Last 42 starts going in to tonight has the Twins ERA just slightly over 4. I like the team being aggressive to promote winning. And as mentioned earlier, how great is it to have real options at AAA and not the AAAA fodder we've been turning to the past few years.

    I still see Pino as probably a long and middle reliever who can spot start, like Swarzak, like Deduno potentially. A little surprised it wasn't Johnson or Darnell at this time, but again, I think more moves are on the way. May first, most likely. Johnson, (probably a LH Swarzak-Deduno-Pino), Meyer and Darnell will all be up at some point, September if nothing else. And that's not a bad thing!

    It would mean May's audition is going well, Correia was continuing to give the team a chance to win (even though he's not part of the future), Meyer would get a taste of the majors, probably from the pen to limit innings, and Darnell could be used a couple different ways.

  9. #28
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,107
    Like
    626
    Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Meh. Better than nothing. I assume if Nunez is back by Thursday, they can send Florimon out, and if not, the can DL him.
    13 man pitching staff again huh? I hope you're wrong, but afraid you're right

  10. #29
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,165
    Like
    103
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Good for Yohan. But unfortunately, SOP for the Twins, shake all of the trees in the forest, first trying out Darnell, then Johnson......every possible option except the most obvious ones.
    This is a really, really interesting franchise. "Next in line" and "deserves a shot" trumps best talent available, developing the players that are young and have a future here. To think I thought, for a second after we signed Morales that we would be done with Minnesota nice and actually make the correct decisions.

  11. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-17-2014)

  12. #30
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,165
    Like
    103
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Statistically Pino has been far better. I know he's thirty and a junk ball pitcher and less likely to sustain quality, but if 1.9 era and 9k/9 innings doesn't get you to the bigs, what will?
    The bolded part is what should not have had him in the big's. At least over Meyer and May.

  13. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-17-2014)

  14. #31
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,054
    Like
    1,665
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I have zero problem with this, if they use Deduno appropriately (i.e. only in blowouts as a mop up pitcher.)
    I agree. Deduno was a wild pitch and balk machine in April. We'll see what happens.

  15. #32
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,116
    Like
    138
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Good for Pino. Don't understand why May didn't get the call. He's the obvious choice IMO.
    It's obvious why May didn't get the call for Thursday (short rest), but obviously less than obvious why it absolutely had to happen this Thursday. Why not wait a bit, give Deduno one more shot, and use May instead of Pino?

    But more to your point, this could also be a prelude to a bit of a shuffle. Pino requires an extra roster spot, and May is ready to be in Minneapolis now. Maybe this is just the first domino to fall, and the reason that it's the first is simply because Pino happened to be on the same five day schedule as the first guy the Twins want demoted?

    Just speculation, of course.

  16. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    800
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Good for Pino, but I would have given May a shot first. Maybe a pressure factor, but we need to see what the real prospects will do.

  17. #34
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,954
    Like
    257
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Good for Yohan. But unfortunately, SOP for the Twins, shake all of the trees in the forest, first trying out Darnell, then Johnson......every possible option except the most obvious ones.
    To be fair, Pino might have outpitched May so far, though we can agree it's close. The Twins should see what they have in player whose likely at the end of his development, and it rewards success rather than (scholarship!) prospect-status or favored-son which I think is good for organizational moral.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-17-2014 at 10:08 PM.

  18. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    crapforks (06-17-2014)

  19. #35
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,789
    Like
    669
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Andrew Albers 2.0

  20. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (06-17-2014)

  21. #36

  22. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Sconnie (06-17-2014)

  23. #37
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,107
    Like
    626
    Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    Who is getting optioned off the 25-man roster?!

    Please be Jared "Just Bombs" Burton. Guy has been a wreck from his first outing of the season.
    it won't be, but we can hope. My other low man on the totem pole would be Guerrier... Well really it's Nolasco, but that unreasonable

  24. #38
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    666
    Like
    200
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bringing up Pino sure seems to be getting a lot of flack.

    This is a guy with a 0.934 WHIP. He's doing something right.
    Why not find out if he can do that in the big leagues?
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

  25. #39
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,721
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    To the person who said not Meyer because he is on a pitch count, that is the exact reason to being him up. Get a taste this year, and not have next year be his first. They control him past age thirty already.
    Lighten up Francis....

  26. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    h2oface (06-18-2014)

  27. #40
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,783
    Like
    896
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    This is a really, really interesting franchise. "Next in line" and "deserves a shot" trumps best talent available, developing the players that are young and have a future here. To think I thought, for a second after we signed Morales that we would be done with Minnesota nice and actually make the correct decisions.
    You nailed it tobi. And this move laid waste to the gobbledy-gook out of Gardy's mouth only yesterday. While I hope Pino comes out and dominates, if 8 years in AA and AAA without even one sniff at the majors doesn't tell you something about what multiple talent evaluators from 5 different organizations have thought about his chances for major league success, what else will?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.