Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Balance I Guess I Like Perk's Candor

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    What Perkins said wasn't exactly complimentary but it wasn't mean-spirited either. In fact, if I'm Pinto, I pretty much know everything that Perkins just said already. Why? Well, I was probably told that when I was sent down to AAA. Or I took a peek at my stats.

Pinto is an adult. He knows what happened to him and why better than anyone. And if he's honest with himself, he knows that his defense isn't at the major league level yet. (I mean, I'm no scout, but I've watched him catch.)

But one of the very best things about Pinto is his reputation for sterling work ethic. If anybody will take this criticism to heart and learn from it, it'll be a guy like Pinto. Don't count him out. We're not through with Pinto yet.

2. These 3 users like 70charger's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

adorduan (06-17-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (06-18-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    When I watched Pinto, every time he caught a pitch low in the zone, his glove would drop toward the ground immediately upon catching it. Made every single pitch look like an obvious ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    What Perkins said wasn't exactly complimentary but it wasn't mean-spirited either. In fact, if I'm Pinto, I pretty much know everything that Perkins just said already. Why? Well, I was probably told that when I was sent down to AAA. Or I took a peek at my stats.

Pinto is an adult. He knows what happened to him and why better than anyone. And if he's honest with himself, he knows that his defense isn't at the major league level yet. (I mean, I'm no scout, but I've watched him catch.)

But one of the very best things about Pinto is his reputation for sterling work ethic. If anybody will take this criticism to heart and learn from it, it'll be a guy like Pinto. Don't count him out. We're not through with Pinto yet.
    This ^^^^ Couldn't have said it better.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto's 25. He is what he is, another Ryan Doumit.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    So what do we do at catcher?

8. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (06-17-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    So what do we do at catcher?
    Robots.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

10. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-18-2014), James (06-18-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-18-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was surprised by Perk's comments. Primarily because you don't see that type of honesty from players. Usually it's the same, safe, boiler plate stuff. You certainly don't see that kind of honesty come out with a players name attached. (It's frequently hidden under "a team source" or "someone with the team").

I don't think Perk is wrong and if he's honest with himself, Pinto knows everything Perkins said was true.

I can see the benefit of a face of the team coming out and saying "Hey, fix this if you want to be a fixture on the team" maybe it'll motivate Pinto to work harder - I hope it does.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Perky's comments seemed unnecessarily negative to me. They fell somewhere in between "He's got work to do" and "he's just plain awful".

If I was the manager I'd give him an earful about it. Speaking your mind is one thing, running at the mouth is another. Nobody (in the organization) bludgeoned Florimon over his hitting when he was sent down.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Awesome comments from Perkins and he is spot on, one thinks that combined with Gardy talking about pretty much the same thing perhaps Pinto was the only one who thought his defense was satisfactory at this level?

Anyways, improving Pinto's defense is his best and perhaps only chance to stick in the majors for a decent amount of time, he is a nice hitter, but I don't think he hits enough to slot in as a traditional DH most of the time. Maybe ultimately he becomes a Ryan Doumit (back up catcher, part time DH, nice PH off the bench) which would be fine, however it would be a shame if he couldnt stick behind the dish as a starter for a few years prior.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

14. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (06-18-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto needs to be better defensively. Regular play in AAA will help. I noticed he caught May's outstanding game.

Pairing him with Deduno gave him little chance to be successful. You need to know where the ball was going in order to frame it well. It can mess with the mechanics of any catcher.

Deduno's ERA with Pinto was actually slightly better than with Suzuki this year. I expected it would be much worse since Suzuki saw him out if the pen.

Ryan Doumit is the Deduno whisperer though, helping him to an ERA of 2.85.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Pinto needs to be better defensively. Regular play in AAA will help. I noticed he caught May's outstanding game.
    I really see it as a good thing that he will be working with some of the Twins' up-and-coming pitchers. They can develop that rapport that is, perhaps, more difficult to find when you are a rookie working with established starters.

That doesn't mean that Pinto doesn't have things to work on. Just that working together can be a really good thing.

17. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-18-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Ryan Doumit is the Deduno whisperer though, helping him to an ERA of 2.85.
    It worked like a double-negative. Samuel couldn't hit wherever the the glove was down, Doumit couldn't cleanly receive a pitch where it was thrown, making the end result appear to be a perfect pitch to the umpire.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

19. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (06-18-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 516 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that is his fate. The book is not written on Pinto as of yet. I believe his bat can be much better than Doumit's.

If he cannot play catcher his bat will play somewhere else. Whether it be as a DH or at 1B. If the Twins give up on him - I feel in my heart of hearts, they will regret it.

I might be wrong on this, but I don't believe that Jorge Posada was all that great of a defensive catcher and he did not play semi-regularly until his age 26-27 season and taking the reigns in his 28-29 aged season.

If that is Pintos fate, I can live with that... not that I propose this scenario will happen, but the guy can hit. If he doesn't hit for the Twins, he will hit for someone else - as a starter - wherever that may be.
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 06-18-2014 at 10:39 PM.

"Pitch framing " may be over rated. Tampa Bay got all kind of good blog because they bought into pitch framing so much that they traded for Hanigan and employed B. Molina. We might want to speak with Tampa's pitchers to see how that has worked out.......

22. This user likes NoCal's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (06-18-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think pitch framing is overrated. It certainly has some value, but the number of runs listed just doesn't seem right to me. Calling a good game and being on the same page with the pitcher has always seemed and still seems to be more important. I don't think Pinto is destined to be a far below average catcher, but he does have work to do.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 95 Times in 53 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm disappointed in Perkins. He is one of the leaders (supposedly) of the Twins, and his comments serve no purpose. The kid just got sent down, and it kinda looks like piling on.
    Pinto knows what he needs to improve on. Framing hasn't helped the Twins in the last 5 games!

25. This user likes curt1965's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-18-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12