@nnelson9
    Liked 86 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Eddie Rosario and Redemption

Twitter
    @glp_vt
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Could definitely see the intrigue if Hammer's traded at the deadline. You have a potential platoon of Hicks/Rosario in center. Both could also be strong fourth outfielders if Hicks starts hitting for more power.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've talked about it quite a bit the last two or three weeks on the Twins Hangouts podcast. I would be shocked if Rosario isn't a September call-up and actually almost expect him to come up a little before that to play CF. I'd then think he'd be the favorite to start 2015 as the Twins centerfielder.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 78 Times in 45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have mixed feelings about him moving back to CF. I really want his bat at 2b. I get that Dozier has been pretty good, but I'd try him at SS again. Especially since Buxton isn't too far away. On the other hand, the Twins have a huge hole in CF right now and Rosario fills it.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I don't see any reason to think he's close to being ready. He has plate discipline problems and only OK power. He hasn't been playing CF regularly due to the 2B move years ago. If he earns the promotion, great, but I'd be surprised.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been reading through some reports on Rosario from the time he made the switch.

At that time, it was felt that he did not have the arm for RF, the range for CF or the bat for LF. His bat and arm would fit 2B. Since then, his bat has remained strong as he progressed from Elizabethton to New Britain. He can bring it to LF. I don't see how he would have improved his range for CF.

He he still might be the best option for the a Twins in CF later this season, but the Twins really need Buxton long term.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    We've talked about it quite a bit the last two or three weeks on the Twins Hangouts podcast. I would be shocked if Rosario isn't a September call-up and actually almost expect him to come up a little before that to play CF. I'd then think he'd be the favorite to start 2015 as the Twins centerfielder.
    Apocalypse warning......Seth and I agree for a second time this week...
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I don't think 2B was ever a perfect fit for Rosario anyway (Polanco is probably better suited for future 2B). He should be our LF of the future but could probably hold down CF for a season or whatever it takes until Buxton is ready. I've never seen or heard anything negative about his bat. By all accounts the kid can rake, I look forward to watching him on a regular basis.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 104 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Rosario and Vargas are playing together in Target Field by August-September and doing reasonably well, with Buxton & Sano on the doorstep, it could set off an off-season frenzy unlike anything we've seen in Twinsville in some time.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I laugh at the thought that Rosario doesn't have the range to play center field. As long as he can hit, anyone can pretty much play in the Twins center field. Santana is currently the major league center fielder for the Twins. He is getting regular starts over players who have outfield experience. He had very little outfield experience before playing this year. His inexperience has shown in his routes to fly balls. He is getting regular playing time because he can hit. If he wasn't hitting the Twins would play a more defensively adept player. With time he should learn the position better, but right now he is playing because of his bat, not his defense. So the thought of Rosario not having the range to play center is just not realistic. If Parmalee was hitting .300+ he would be in the outfield rather than on the bench.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    The Twins are going to have bevvy of guys who will be able to play both the infield and the outfield under team control for the foreseeable future; that kind of flexibility I think could really pay off over the long haul of unexpected injuries and decline.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The Twins are going to have bevvy of guys who will be able to play both the infield and the outfield under team control for the foreseeable future; that kind of flexibility I think could really pay off over the long haul of unexpected injuries and decline.
    I agree this flexibililty will be helpful in the long run, although it does make for some interesting defense in the short term.

I feel like the he has a much better career as a 2B but he's blocked by Dozier and possibly Polanco and if we moved Dozier back to SS then Brian blocks Gordon or Santana. He has a future in the OF at LF but I feel like there are other options like Adam Walker, Max Kepler and Jason Kanzler who have more experience in the outfield. He's blocked by #1 prospect Byron Buxton in CF. And in RF lies Arcia. For 4th outfielder is Hicks and Danny Ortiz. Could Rosario be in a big trade bundle to get an upgrade in the pitching department this year?
    I think he could because we have depth in OF/2B. Lastly you get his full potential as a player at 2B and better trade value.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Buxton isn't too far away.
    How sure are you about that? I think that best case scenario with Buxton is to have a healthy season in AA next season and fight of a 25 man roster spot in 2016.

That said, I'd still keep Rosario at second base and sell high the off-season on Dozier, but the Twins will not do that. Hicks will be fine as the Twins' starting CF in 2015. His OBP his season is higher than Span's last 3 seasons with the Twins and he has the glove and the arm to play there.

It is hard to form opinions about MLB readiness based on A+ numbers. For reference: Buxton is where Meyer was 2 seasons ago.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana is going to be the odd man out between he, Dozier, and Rosario. It's hard to imagine all three on the same roster by mid-2015.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Danny Santana is going to be the odd man out between he, Dozier, and Rosario. It's hard to imagine all three on the same roster by mid-2015.
    you are missing someone Shane

#FreeEduardoEscobar.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's a hell of a dip he's got in his lip for that picture. Twins might wanna chat with him about that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What an embarrassing society we live in. Memo to future generations: I apologize for all the morons that think pot is a big deal. Guy tokes a joint and gets treated like he robbed a string of convenience stores at gunpoint. When will America grow up and smoke a little perspective?

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Isn't it interesting that instead of talk about scrambling to fill roster spots we're actually talking about room for too many young talents?

My theory; we have Hicks for CF next season, possibly a re-signing of Fuld for a reserve spot, but the Twins aren't stupid, really, despite some mistakes made in addressing the OF/CF situation, and they will make a move for a solid, temp, fill in, 4th OF type for competition.

It doesn't matter how good Buxton is, and will be, you also have to fill out the ML roster. Rosario will spend a good chunk of the second half of the season in Rochester, in CF, with some action at 2B to keep up his versatility. 2015 will see him in competition with Hicks, a FA, possibly Fuld as well, and Dozier as another multi-use option. Santana will also compete at SS with Escobar. If he keeps hitting and providing excitement, he probably wins that battle and Escobar teams with Nunez to give us some great bench options.

Rosario was/is a CF by trade. He might not be Buxton, but he's got the ability to play there, at least initially. From there, he could reposition to an excellent defensive LF who provides some very versatile offense. Yes, there is some question about patience and OB%, which is true of a lot of young players. But this kid is flat out a potentially quality hitter. He's got big doubles potential and the ability for some triples as well. A little more polish, he should be at least a decent SB threat. Plus his speed just plays well on the bases. HR power? It's hard to predict. I don't know if he'll ever hit 20 consistently, as he did in E-Town,or ever. But don't forget his youth, his athleticism, or the fact that he's been promoted as aggresively as any young Twins prospect. Given a little time and adjustment to his level, I believe he can be a consistent double-digit HR performer. All of this plays to a quality offensive performer at the top of the order, or at worst, bottom third dangerous threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That makes no sense to me. With a little polish Santana looks like he will be a great SS and with a little more plate discipline, a great lead-off hitter. Plus, he can be your back-up CF when Buxton needs a day off. Why would you get rid of him.

I guess you are assuming they move Dozier back to short in this scenario. I don't see it. He is a great 2B and not so good SS. So, it comes down to how well can Rosario play 2B. To me the options are ....
    1) Sell High on Dozier. I agree with Thyros provided if the return is high enough.
    2) Trade Rosario
    3) Give Rosario time at the ML level in CF/LF/DH and 2B. Determine what to do in 2016.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast