Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, the good news

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Well, the good news

Gah. Losing streaks, worst first baseman in baseball, Plouffe hurt, Sano and Buxton out, no offense lately .... but

Gibson and Hughes both look like they will be legit arms in future rotations and May and Meyer have both put up nice numbers in AAA. Might as well get them up sooner rather than later.

Despite injuries to Sano and Buxton, several prospects are doing very well. May and Meyer are dominating AAA hitters. Polanco looks like a stud. Berrios is having a real break out year and could be in AA soon. Vargas is hitting at AA and should be up in Sept if not earlier.

Dozier's break over the last four months of 2013 don't look like a fluke. Arcia should be able to hit at this level. Santana is at least fun to watch.

Hammer and Morales both look like they might get us something at the trade deadline.

2. These 6 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-18-2014), kdrupp09 (06-18-2014), PseudoSABR (06-18-2014), ScottyB (06-18-2014), SgtSchmidt11 (06-18-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Another piece of good news, Rosario is back from suspension as well.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    The real good news is I just saved 15% on my car insurance in 15 minutes.

*sponsored post brought to you by Geico USA
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

5. These 4 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (06-18-2014), DocBauer (06-18-2014), Paul Pleiss (06-18-2014), The Wise One (06-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    gunnarthor, Thanks for the positive spin! Tough losses in all three games this series but I agree that we are getting closer to having better pitching. Most all the top prospects should be up by next year and several this year so this team should be on its way back up.

7. These 2 users like Dman's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-18-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And here i thought i was going to hear about TR fleecing TB out of David Price or the the Cubs out of Jeff S

9. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SgtSchmidt11 (06-18-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    gunnarthor, you forgot to mention that May and Meyer are doing well.

11. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-19-2014)

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    And here i thought i was going to hear about TR fleecing TB out of David Price or the the Cubs out of Jeff S
    Exactly, I thought maybe we had taken the Shark for Polanco, Shibuya, and a look at the '91 WS trophy...

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Realistically though, at least we appear to have won the Doumit trade (don't care if Gilmartin hasn't done anything, just not having Doumit for Gardy to use is a good thing!)

14. This user likes SgtSchmidt11's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

First post here! Yes, Gibson is looking like something we could build on and Hughes has shaken off the early problems to be among the most consistent in the league (this year anyway). It's tough to lose games like the last 3 and start to fall back in the division, but we knew what sort of year this would be going in and I still see lots of positive signs moving forward. Arcia is starting to concern me though. He's been looking very overmatched at the plate and lost in the field..

16. These 3 users like aggies4's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-18-2014), Sconnie (06-18-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Scoring runs is hard, you guys. I know there's been a lot of talk about the bullpen blowing games in Boston this week, but let's make sure to complain about the lack of offensive production too. The pitchers only gave up 5 runs in 3 games, I'll take that each and every series. Scoring 2 runs in 3 games is the bigger issue.

18. These 2 users like Paul Pleiss's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-18-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    gunnarthor, you forgot to mention that May and Meyer are doing well.
    It sounded so nice, I think he said it twice:

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    May and Meyer have both put up nice numbers in AAA. Might as well get them up sooner rather than later........

......May and Meyer are dominating AAA hitters.

20. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-18-2014), Sconnie (06-18-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It sounded so nice, I think he said it twice:
    That was the joke, yes.

22. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Gah. Losing streaks, worst first baseman in baseball, Plouffe hurt, Sano and Buxton out, no offense lately .... but

Gibson and Hughes both look like they will be legit arms in future rotations and May and Meyer have both put up nice numbers in AAA. Might as well get them up sooner rather than later.

Despite injuries to Sano and Buxton, several prospects are doing very well. May and Meyer are dominating AAA hitters. Polanco looks like a stud. Berrios is having a real break out year and could be in AA soon. Vargas is hitting at AA and should be up in Sept if not earlier.

Dozier's break over the last four months of 2013 don't look like a fluke. Arcia should be able to hit at this level. Santana is at least fun to watch.

Hammer and Morales both look like they might get us something at the trade deadline.
    Not if he doesn't learn what a strike zone is. And his defense is simply unacceptable in it's present form.

24. This user likes adorduan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    That was the joke, yes.
    I figured.....Just posted for clarification, I didn't want any new call-up controversy to rear its ugly head, yet again. Enough closed threads on the day already.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The offense carried the pitching staff in April... Right now, the pitching is (generally) there and the bats are floundering. happens every year with every team. It's unusual (and wonderful) when the pitching and hitting are both clicking!

27. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-18-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The offense carried the pitching staff in April... Right now, the pitching is (generally) there and the bats are floundering. happens every year with every team. It's unusual (and wonderful) when the pitching and hitting are both clicking!
    Yep, because the staff has been so poor for so long now, we're not used to seeing the offense waste successive great pitching performances like these last three games. Every team goes through it. The better ones just learn to bust out of it quickly.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aggies4 View Post
    Yep, because the staff has been so poor for so long now, we're not used to seeing the offense waste successive great pitching performances like these last three games. Every team goes through it. The better ones just learn to bust out of it quickly.

For all of the angst about the Starting pitching staff to start out the season, they really have been performing about as well, or better, than we expected (OK, at least what I expected) since May 1. After a disastrous April with an ERA/FIP of 6.08/4.70, since then the ERA/FIP for the SPs has been very good, with room to get even better- with an upgrade from both Nolasco and the eventual replacement for Deduno- ~3.96/3.77.

30. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    Scoring runs is hard, you guys. I know there's been a lot of talk about the bullpen blowing games in Boston this week, but let's make sure to complain about the lack of offensive production too. The pitchers only gave up 5 runs in 3 games, I'll take that each and every series. Scoring 2 runs in 3 games is the bigger issue.
    Identifying this obviously urgent need, I sure wish the Twins would have addressed the injury situation and the temporary loss of 2 legit bats with an additional farm bat instead of promoting a glove in Florimon.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The offense carried the pitching staff in April... Right now, the pitching is (generally) there and the bats are floundering. happens every year with every team.
    I'd take the every year for the Twins (99+96+96 is not an easy feat.) But it does not happen with every team. Some teams might have an off year here and there. Very rare to be awful 4 years in a row, even rarer to keep the front office and management intact in these situations and pretty much unique to the Twins, for fans to be ok with the situation.

On pace for 88 losses this season, btw. Nothing that does not stink or is remotely excusable (in a valid way) about that.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 06-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was the joke, yes.
    "Brad Eldred" Revisited.

34. These 3 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-18-2014), jokin (06-18-2014), LaBombo (06-18-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast