Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Roster News

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Nunez to DL - Pelfrey to 60-day answers the question just announced
    Went to the Twins official site for confirmation, and one of the top featured articles was "Nunez declares himself ready to return to lineup". Sorry Eduardo!

Guess I should just default to Twitter for such things now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Went to the Twins official site for confirmation, and one of the top featured articles was "Nunez declares himself ready to return to lineup". Sorry Eduardo!

Guess I should just default to Twitter for such things now.
    I've found the Twins website quite often to be the last to know about such things....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Before today's game (Sunday 6/22) Phil Miller indicated that the Twins were looking at cutting the bullpen down to 7 to add an extra bench player for this trip. Anyone hear anything about any changes?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Before today's game (Sunday 6/22) Phil Miller indicated that the Twins were looking at cutting the bullpen down to 7 to add an extra bench player for this trip. Anyone hear anything about any changes?

On his radio show this morning, Ron Gardenhire said they were talking about it. Then before the game, Terry Ryan told the reporters that they weren't necessarily going to.

My thought is that they will make a move, but who knows.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Which pitcher goes? I'd have to think Thielbar who has options or Sammy, who is now a duplicate of Swarzak. Burton and Guerrier are probably on short leashes but have pitched better of late

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    The bench is really weak right now - Florimon (who can't hit and plays only 1 position), Fryer (an adequate backup catcher), and an improving Parmelee. I miss Plouffe and Nunez.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The bench is really weak right now - Florimon (who can't hit and plays only 1 position), Fryer (an adequate backup catcher), and an improving Parmelee. I miss Plouffe and Nunez.
    I am wondering if anyone at all would claim Florimon were he to be exposed? Or would he pique minor interest as a throw-in filler with another prime Twin target? The bench is horrendous right now, and short one man, time for some addition by subtraction and then by, new addition, to the 40- and 25-man roster for the road trip.

8. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (06-22-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really hate to say it, but the Twins really miss Plouffe. Everything seems to flow from him-defense, batting order, and bench players. When he is back, Floriman goes back to Rochester, and TR can add a little fire-power to the bench.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What is the point of having Deduno and Swarzak in the pen? They are basically the same thing. Any chance the Twins swing a minor deal with one of them for a bench player?

Quote Originally Posted by HansGruber View Post
    It's not exactly cherry picking stats it's removing outliers which is what should be done in statistical analysis. That being said, a mid 4 era for a reliever is awful and the conclusion is the same, Burton is done and should be the first to go.

Along those lines, I wasn't happy with the Guerrier call up but now that he's here and performing okay I don't see the need to dump him when there are worse performers like Swarzak and Burton still on the roster. Same for Theilbar.
    LOL. Now we're cherry-picking statistical practices. This method and any others you find convenient, by the way, are the reason people ignore good statistical analysis.

I've read on and see that you've backtracked a bit. The reality is that you could have a reason for potentially ignoring any games. Which of the hypothesized reasons might actually be valid are probably unknown. Personally, I would ignore all of our pitchers' stats against Miguel Cabrera and Mike Trout, since the rest of the league is not represented by them.

Jared Burton was awful early on, then settled into plain bad. The awful parts are very much in line with the rest of Burton's year. I mean, you can't load the bases and give up grand slams every outing, so doing so isn't so much an "outlier" as it is pretty much the maximum damage a reliever can incur, and the one's most likely to have this happen are those relievers with Burton-like stats (sure, exclude the worst when determining this).
    Last edited by twinstalker; 06-23-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123