Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mauer hurt?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Joe Mauer hurt?

Just wondering if anyone has heard that the reason Joe Mauer is slumping is because he is hurt and playing through it. I am not trying to start a joke of a post. A friend of mine told me he heard that listening to Mike Max. So I am just looking for any information if anyone else has heard the same.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't heard anything, but I was thinking the same thing. As an old retired guy, I watch nearly every game, and can't remember the last time he crushed anything to RF.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In a weird kind of way, I hope he is hurt, not because I want him to be, but because of the substandard results this season, and that could lend some answers to the lackluster Mauer campaign.

I really believed that Mauer would have an exceptional season at the plate this year, given that he isn't catching anymore - unfortunately, it has been quite the opposite.

Maybe Joe is battling the after effects of a serious concussion or maybe the wear and tare of 10 years of catching in the big leagues have caught to him and he is finished as a productive player. I do not know the answers to these questions - but something is amiss or going haywire. (Shrug?)

4. These 4 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-18-2014), gunnarthor (06-19-2014), jokin (06-18-2014), Sconnie (06-19-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sad to say I think he's still suffering from post concussion. I have no proof or inside information, simply stating what I think based on results and, fair or not, comments from Mornie speaking about his own experience.

6. These 2 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-18-2014), Halsey Hall (06-19-2014)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really doubt he's hurt. They might eventually invent an injury, but I hope they just try to get him out of this prolonged slump. I don't think Mauer is suffering from post-concussion effects... I'm not a professional on concussions, but if they saw anything signs from Mauer, Gardy and the staff would shut him down immediately. If they exist, Mauer is hiding the symptoms really well.

He's getting older, maybe he needs glasses.

Seriously, I would not be surprised, but I also wonder if he's disproportionately affected by the new craze of video gme defensive alignments. He pulls grounds thru second and pushes flies over third with a methodical precision that has led to great success. But they're taking a lot of that away by playing LF on the line and SS at second base. Healthy or not, he's got to start spraying the ball around the field more.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    He's getting older, maybe he needs glasses.

Seriously, I would not be surprised, but I also wonder if he's disproportionately affected by the new craze of video gme defensive alignments. He pulls grounds thru second and pushes flies over third with a methodical precision that has led to great success. But they're taking a lot of that away by playing LF on the line and SS at second base. Healthy or not, he's got to start spraying the ball around the field more.
    He wears glasses in the clubhouse....certainly, this would have been the first thing that is checked out in a case like this, right?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is batting like a very different player, so something is up.

11. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-19-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    He wears glasses in the clubhouse....certainly, this would have been the first thing that is checked out in a case like this, right?
    I've wondered this too. Then I think, the Twins may be incompetent with injuries, but this isn't Major League....right?

13. This user likes howeda7's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-19-2014)

Or maybe he is content with life, wife, kids, money...........just no need to push for anything extra, he proved what he could for the contract..........not saying it is so, but you see it alot, when players have little or no incentive(contract) to keep pushing hard........some players play hard for the contract, some play hard for the LOVE of the game........again not saying Joe does or doesn't love the game, but when he shows no emotion it is hard to know if he loves the game or not. I think we will know the true test when he is done with this contract at age 35, will he want to play past that????

I've wondered about concussion effects too, does anyone know how much, if any, effect it could have on one's depth perception? I haven't watched every game but a few times I've seen Joe not quite get to a foul pop fly by, what looks like, misjudging where its coming down. Could be sun related or any number of things, but depth perception issues could explain the higher number of swing-and-misses we've seen this year.

Again, it's all speculation but after the years of taking a beating by the local media and fans for being "soft" maybe he's trying to play through (and hide) something to shed that label cause there's no "catching is tough on the body" playing first base.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    Or maybe he is content with life, wife, kids, money...........just no need to push for anything extra, he proved what he could for the contract..........not saying it is so, but you see it alot, when players have little or no incentive(contract) to keep pushing hard........some players play hard for the contract, some play hard for the LOVE of the game........again not saying Joe does or doesn't love the game, but when he shows no emotion it is hard to know if he loves the game or not. I think we will know the true test when he is done with this contract at age 35, will he want to play past that????
    No amount of "not saying" will hide the fact that you're calling him out for being lazy and not caring on the basis of assumptions about his personal life and his personality. Pretty unfair.

I think it's lingering concussion symptoms. It seems as if a baseball player can be "cleared" to come back from concussion on the basis of tests that aren't designed to determine if an elite athlete can still see/recognize a tiny white ball flying 90 mph. He'll get back eventually, but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done except be patient and trust in the 10 previous years of success he's had.

17. These 4 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (06-19-2014), gunnarthor (06-19-2014), nathanaakre (06-19-2014), TheDean (06-19-2014)

I feel the same way. I will come out and say I don't believe he had, or ever had, a passion/love for the game. All these years he's taken off day games after a night game when at the least he could have played DH.

The topper for me was a few years ago when he didn't play the Sunday before the all-star game, presumably to rest him up for the grueling all-star week. I believe the Twins lost to Detroit that sunday 3-2.

Regardless of what Gardy or Mauer have told us, playing DH is pretty much the same as a day off. And over the years every game he wasn't catching, we had to have our best hitter in the lineup at DH.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Man, I hate posts like this. Mauer was the best prospect in baseball, then he became the best player in baseball. He didn't do that b/c he wanted a contract. He doesn't dive to tag out Gardner at the plate if he isn't playing hard. He's apparently a nice quiet guy, that shouldn't be looked at as a weakness.

20. These 4 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-19-2014), gil4 (06-19-2014), Since71 (06-19-2014), zchrz (06-19-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I feel the same way. I will come out and say I don't believe he had, or ever had, a passion/love for the game. All these years he's taken off day games after a night game when at the least he could have played DH.

The topper for me was a few years ago when he didn't play the Sunday before the all-star game, presumably to rest him up for the grueling all-star week. I believe the Twins lost to Detroit that sunday 3-2.

Regardless of what Gardy or Mauer have told us, playing DH is pretty much the same as a day off. And over the years every game he wasn't catching, we had to have our best hitter in the lineup at DH.
    I surely hope you don't truly believe this and are just blowing off steam.

I can assure you Mauer is very passionate about the game, the team and his own personal game, I have a biz partner of mine who coached him in basketball growing up and knows the family well (still keeps in touch) he has said nothing less then that Mauer is a class act/great guy who works as hard as anyone to remain an elite player.

As far as his struggles this year, it wouldn't shock me if he had some sort of significant injury, I give him credit for keeping his head up, at the end of the day it has been a down year for him, but at least he is conituing to get on base. Ideally he gets "well" soon, if he comes back to his normal self this lineup suddenly looks rather strong (at least the top half)

As far as him taking days off after catching.....every catcher has to do that, there might not be a more grueling position in all of sports then it is to be an every day catcher. Often times he was at the top of the league for games caught in a season. Additionally playing DH is not the same as taking a day off, physically it is less demanding for sure, however I think you are truly underestimating the mental capacity it takes to step in against major league pitchers 3-4 times a game.

Mauer has better stats then guys like Jeter and Puckett this far into his career, its absolutely insane that people spew this anti Mauer garbage on a regular basis.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

22. These 7 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (06-19-2014), brvama (06-19-2014), DJSim22 (06-19-2014), gunnarthor (06-19-2014), jm3319 (06-19-2014), TheDean (06-19-2014), TiberTwins (06-19-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    No amount of "not saying" will hide the fact that you're calling him out for being lazy and not caring on the basis of assumptions about his personal life and his personality. Pretty unfair.

I think it's lingering concussion symptoms. It seems as if a baseball player can be "cleared" to come back from concussion on the basis of tests that aren't designed to determine if an elite athlete can still see/recognize a tiny white ball flying 90 mph. He'll get back eventually, but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done except be patient and trust in the 10 previous years of success he's had.
    Logically speaking, this makes the most sense, but then, why is he cleared to play if there is a clear and present danger to his health by playing? Morneau's lingering concussion symptoms would seem to be the guide hiere....they lingered for years, and his performance suffered because of it ( fully acknowledging that he had other injuries, as well). Granted, each concussion is different...but...at what point is shutting Mauer down for a period of time the most logical option?...For both his own well-being and what's best for the team?

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    I kind of hope it is an injury or something to do with lingering concussion symptoms too. He isn't the Joe Mauer of old. Maybe it is just me, but I am noticing more swings and misses from him. It seems like he used to take longer at bats in the past and would work counts better by being able to foul boarder line pitches off. Now, I am not seeing that. I don't have stats to back that.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 140 Posts
    I have heard a few players say he is very competitive and more intense during games and behind the scenes than his public persona suggests. I think he has a passion for the game.

If he was hitting .285 I would say it could be age or defensive shifts etc., but the drop is just too much not to think something else is going wrong. Esp., since he was having a good year prior to the concussion and maybe his best year defensively in years. It just seems to much of a coincidence to not at least consider that the concussion is not effecting things. He took the hit in August and was feeling symptoms well into November. Even if he is not feeling overt symptoms now, it is certainly feasible to think his reflexes and/or depth perception are still not quite what they were before (esp. after watching Justin three years after his concussion still struggling - and to a lesser extent, Span never seemed quite the same).

I have also heard enough people say there is something visibly different when watching his at bats to make me think there is something physical going on.
    Last edited by D. Hocking; 06-19-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think it's his back. Souhan's article suggested it was a lot more than "back spasms" and, if his back is tender, than a full torque swing might not feel that great. Maybe he's trying to battle through it instead of taking a DL trip. I usually don't rip on the Twins (enough people have that covered) but one thing they sometimes push too much is playing through pain - they basically resigned Capps b/c he played thru a wrist injury instead of going to the DL. And with all the crap he got in 2011 maybe Mauer's determined to stay off the DL.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post

Becoming the best player in baseball (2009) happens without passion and is often the result of dumb luck.

He's better at baseball than anything any of us will do in our lives, period. It's absurd to believe he achieved that lofty mark without passion for the sport.

A guy doesn't need to yell and scream to have passion for something.

28. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-19-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast