Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe Mauer hurt?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    If it is lingering concussion issues, and I'm not saying it is, does any other team have this same chronic problem? Koskie, Morneau, Span and Mauer all having season ending (or crippling) concussions which seems to follow them into the following season or longer. What's happening here that isn't happening elsewhere?

I'm sure Mauer will refind his stroke once he goes to Denver. Maybe it's an altitude thing.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    I think the injury hypothesis requires fewer assumptions and thus fits the Occam's razor rule better. I don't know a lot of things that can turn a .320 hitter into a .260 hitter, but a concussion can do it. Guys don't suddenly forget how to hit.
    But then we're assuming that Mauer has lingering concussion issues, and assuming that it's the primary reason he's dropped off.

That's two more assumptions than saying "he's just playing badly".

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If it is lingering concussion issues, and I'm not saying it is, does any other team have this same chronic problem? Koskie, Morneau, Span and Mauer all having season ending (or crippling) concussions which seems to follow them into the following season or longer. What's happening here that isn't happening elsewhere?

I'm sure Mauer will refind his stroke once he goes to Denver. Maybe it's an altitude thing.
    Koskie and Morneau are both Canadian and therefore hockey players. Seriously though, Morneau most likely had a ton growing up as a goalie.

Mauer has played catcher forever and also was a QB in high school, who knows how many he had that went "undiagnosed" etc.

The Twins seem to have more then usual for sure...seems like rotten luck more than anything.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Koskie and Morneau are both Canadian and therefore hockey players. Seriously though, Morneau most likely had a ton growing up as a goalie.

Mauer has played catcher forever and also was a QB in high school, who knows how many he had that went "undiagnosed" etc.

The Twins seem to have more then usual for sure...seems like rotten luck more than anything.
    I don't see what the Twins could possibly do to minimize concussions. It's a brain injury. As far as I know, treatment entirely consists of "sit around, don't hit your head on anything".

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Koskie wasn't a Twin when he had his concussion was he? I think he was with Milwaukee.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemo View Post
    Koskie wasn't a Twin when he had his concussion was he? I think he was with Milwaukee.
    I'm pretty sure he had at least one with the Twins. I just looked through his game logs. Crikey, that dude was injured a lot. Only played more than 150 games once with the Twins.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't see any evidence he ever had a concussion with the Twins. Plenty of other body parts injured but none involving his head. I don't think we can count his as Twins bad luck.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemo View Post
    I don't see any evidence he ever had a concussion with the Twins. Plenty of other body parts injured but none involving his head. I don't think we can count his as Twins bad luck.
    Fair enough. I seem to remember a concussion but that could be my imagination.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I haven't found the earlier concussion so I'm not sure if this reference is correct (or if the writer mixed up Mauer & Morneau) but this indicates there was an earlier problem:

The Minnesota Twins have placed All-Star catcher Joe Mauer on the seven-day concussion disabled list after he experienced dizziness before Tuesday's game against the Detroit Tigers.
    Mauer, who has battled concussions since 2010, was immediately scratched from the lineup and sent for tests. He caught Monday's game against the New York Mets.

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports...#ixzz357fHJqf0

OTOH, I've now looked at a gazillion stories on the 2013 concussion without finding reference to a specific earlier one.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 390 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I haven't found the earlier concussion so I'm not sure if this reference is correct (or if the writer mixed up Mauer & Morneau) but this indicates there was an earlier problem:

The Minnesota Twins have placed All-Star catcher Joe Mauer on the seven-day concussion disabled list after he experienced dizziness before Tuesday's game against the Detroit Tigers.
    Mauer, who has battled concussions since 2010, was immediately scratched from the lineup and sent for tests. He caught Monday's game against the New York Mets.
    I don't remember that at all - I wonder if they did mix up one M for the other.

Hmmm - memory a little cloudy. Did you play catcher or goalie in the past or taken any big hits to the head?

It seemed like Joe took a ton of foul tips off the mask the last couple of years. I remember thinking earlier in the season we were lucky he had never been diagnosed with a concussion (although in reality, there were probably a few that went undiagnoised).

Okay, from the horse's mouth (so to speak):

Mauer, 30, said it had been nearly two decades since he suffered his only previous diagnosed concussion.

"I had one when I was young -- real young," Mauer said. "I was probably 10 or 11 years old. Something at school, maybe just horsing around. Banged my head. I don't really remember how long the symptoms lasted. Just being a kid, I guess."

As for any concussions in the interim, which included a standout career as a high school all-America quarterback at Cretin-Derham Hall, Mauer said he has "probably had some along the way" but has never had "symptoms last this long."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...ssion-recovery

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    Hmmm - memory a little cloudy. Did you play catcher or goalie in the past or taken any big hits to the head?
    Oh, I've had at least two concussions.

Definitely a not awesome experience.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 390 Times in 148 Posts
    Oh, I've had at least two concussions.

Definitely a not awesome experience.
    I probably should not have been making light of concussion symptoms. I suspect there are a few people on this board who have had a few due to the number of ex-jocks.

I am pretty sure I had one, but it was due to epic clumsiness in an non-athletic scene rather than some game winning feat.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    I probably should not have been making light of concussion symptoms. I suspect there are a few people on this board who have had a few due to the number of ex-jocks.

I am pretty sure I had one, but it was due to epic clumsiness in an non-athletic scene rather than some game winning feat.
    Oh, no worries. Mine weren't acquired playing traditional sports anyway. One was riding a bike, another was a freak accident where I face-planted into a curb in high school screwing around with friends.

I've also been in a myriad of dirt bike crashes. It wouldn't surprise me if I accumulated a few more that weren't so obvious that I had to go to the hospital.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a mild one a little over a month ago playing softball. As far as I know, it was my first, though I can think of a couple of other times that it could have happened. It took a few weeks for the headaches to go away for good, as they'd come back pretty every time I played softball or soccer. And I have to admit that concussion headaches are a different type of headache altogether. I don't really do anything that requires impressive hand/eye coordination like a professional baseball player, but I'd imagine, just from my limited experience, that these types of things don't necessarily return right away, and I don't know how someone would be able to hit a baseball while dealing with that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123