Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pino: one more start?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Thank you for posting his FIP! I was wondering if it was actually a good start or a fake good start. What was his BABIP?
    .278 which is pretty average. Good news is his 66% strand rate should improve as well
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

2. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (06-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't have any faith in Pino.
    Why?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

That start by Pino was a great follow-up to the Gibson performance on Wednesday. Coupled with watching Willingham take batting practice off Quintana, that start made me forget the Fien hiccuppish meltdown already. I was also glad to see Fien get back to business with a 5 pitch/5 strike inning. Short memory/Go make the next play ... Love it!

Back to Pino, his command was lights out. If you can locate the way he was locating, it doesn't matter so much if it's 89 or 98. He also looked very composed and comfortable. The only composure hiccup was that four pitch walk to Beckham with runners on first and third. Anderson made the trip and settled him down. Damage control followed thanks to a laser throw from Fuld to Dozier on the Gillaspie single. Pino then strikes out Yogi Abreu and paints zeros for four more innings. Awesome!!

Also, see my reply at the end of this post: http://www.twinsdaily.com/showthread...-Roster-Invite

It was a question and not a prediction, but I'll pat myself on the back anyway.
    Last edited by slash129; 06-20-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Add Link

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slash129 View Post
    That start by Pino was a great follow-up to the Gibson performance on Wednesday. Coupled with watching Willingham take batting practice off Quintana, that start made me forget the Fien hiccuppish meltdown already. I was also glad to see Fien get back to business with a 5 pitch/5 strike inning. Short memory/Go make the next play ... Love it!

Back to Pino, his command was lights out. If you can locate the way he was locating, it doesn't matter so much if it's 89 or 98. He also looked very composed and comfortable. The only composure hiccup was that four pitch walk to Beckham with runners on first and third. Anderson made the trip and settled him down.

Damage control followed thanks to a laser throw from Fuld to Dozier on the Gillaspie single. Pino then strikes out Yogi Abreu and paints zeros for four more innings. Awesome!!
    Don't forget, the Twins defense sandwiched 2 botched and catch-able foul pop flies around that Fuld-to-Dozier put out at 2nd on Beckham off of the Gillaspie single.

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    It's going to be interesting to see how long Pino's "deceptive delivery" plays. Apparently he has great control and ball movement.

"We didn't know too much about him," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. "He's got a bit of an unusual delivery. It's deceptive, to make his off-speed stuff a little bit better. He doesn't throw that hard, but when you're watching it, it looks a little harder."

http://www.kspr.com/sports/pinos-deb...84228It'll be interesting to see what happens as teams get more film of him.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any faith in Pino.

With that said, he earned another start.
    30 year old rookies who throw in the high 80s don't inspire much confidence.
    Just to put things in perspective, the Twins stay true to form, and celebrate debuting yet another arm rescued out of AAAA obscurity. Meanwhile, the much-maligned Miami Marlins- on the same night we enjoyed the fine, but aged, Pino Noir- debuted yet another member of their impressive string of hot young pitching prospects- this time, 2012 First Round draft pick, Andrew Heaney.

His first MLB game line, at the tender age of 23? Going up against Mets ace Zach Wheeler, Heaney achieved- 6 IP 1 ER, 4 H, 3 K, 1 BB, !.50 ERA. Seems more like a debut line the kid can build on, not rest- and eventually- reflect on.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-20-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Why?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, Pino threw several pitches at 90 and 91, but yes, the league is likely to catch up with him sooner rather than later.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    I was impressed by Pino's performance. His command and change of speeds were very good. However, after he left the game, all I could think about was Andrew Albers' impressive debut last year... Everyone was praising him like he was the greatest thing since Bert Blyleven... But after that, things weren't so impressive for Albers... What country is he pitching in this year?

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Don't forget, the Twins defense sandwiched 2 botched and catch-able foul pop flies around that Fuld-to-Dozier put out at 2nd on Beckham off of the Gillaspie single.

Yeah, my neighbor and I were in the garage and laughing about those.

Willingham (said with your best good ole boy accent): "I can hit the ball a country mile, but I don't run good."

Mauer (said with your best Beaver Cleaver accent): "Gosh, Brian, I sure am glad you didn't get hurt on that wall. I feel just awful for cuttin' you off like that. I could buy you a soda-pop after the game, seein' as I make a lot more money than you and all."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    He earned his way up. He will have to fail to go back down. If he keeps pitching like that, there's no reason to change. With his mix, intelligence, and control, I see no reason he can't continue to have success.
    this... What we saw last night was a guy with pretty good control of four pitches. Fastball, Curveball, Slider and the changeup came later in the game. he hit 90 several times, and I saw 91 once or twice.

I'm not saying it is sustainable, but if nothing else, he's earned the opportunity. To me, it's two more starts. And after that, I enjoyed watching him more than Deduno since he actually is around the plate consistently.

13. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (06-21-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    To be fair, Pino threw several pitches at 90 and 91, but yes, the league is likely to catch up with him sooner rather than later.
    Probably, but let them. Until they do, keep going with him. At least that's my thought.

15. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-20-2014), Danchat (06-20-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slash129 View Post
    Yeah, my neighbor and I were in the garage and laughing about those.

Willingham (said with your best good ole boy accent): "I can hit the ball a country mile, but I don't run good."

Mauer (said with your best Beaver Cleaver accent): "Gosh, Brian, I sure am glad you didn't get hurt on that wall. I feel just awful for cuttin' you off like that. I could buy you a soda-pop after the game, seein' as I make a lot more money than you and all."
    Where do you guys hang out? Can I hang with you? That is some funny stuff...

Please post more.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Probably, but let them. Until they do, keep going with him. At least that's my thought.
    I'm with you, Seth. The long delay and playing 'til Midnight was a little weird, but that was one of the most enjoyable games of the year. I wouldn't mind staying up late for a few more just like it.

There isn't much I like about baseball at this point in time. I'm tired of hearing about how many millions they sign for. It pisses me off that there is no salary cap. The fun part for me is following the development of kids. And, the very best part of it is to see somebody come out of nowhere after working his butt off for 10 years, who nobody even notices during most of that time, and he succeeds. I hope Yohan Pino is around for years and pitches many more games like he did last night. I would really enjoy that. Especially, every time he beats another guy who is making about 20 million.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsharpp View Post
    There isn't much I like about baseball at this point in time. I'm tired of hearing about how many millions they sign for. It pisses me off that there is no salary cap. The fun part for me is following the development of kids. And, the very best part of it is to see somebody come out of nowhere after working his butt off for 10 years, who nobody even notices during most of that time, and he succeeds. I hope Yohan Pino is around for years and pitches many more games like he did last night. I would really enjoy that. Especially, every time he beats another guy who is making about 20 million.
    If he continues to pitch like that for years, he'll get his payday. And then he'll be one of the millions-makers and we'll be cheering on the fresh young bat making nothing who dings one off him. That's baseball.

But back to Pino ... yeah ... love these stories. He likely won't ever be one the millions-makers, but it was a fun game to see. Well ... parts ... I was working some of that. And I agree with Seth above ... pitch him until ...

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    .278 which is pretty average. Good news is his 66% strand rate should improve as well
    .278 is better than league average which runs closer to .290-.300. And 0 home runs. Probably not sustainable. xFIP is 3.36. Send him down.

21. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (06-20-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsharpp View Post
    There isn't much I like about baseball at this point in time.
    Welcome to Twins Daily!

23. These 5 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (06-20-2014), benchwarmerjim (06-20-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-20-2014), TheDean (06-20-2014), USAFChief (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I say give Pino as many starts as it takes for major leaguers to have the time/information to scout him and start hitting him. I say 3 more starts then send him down.

If the Twins had five other starters consistantly doing the same same or better, then there'd be a question as to another start. As it is he stays, he starts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast