Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pino: one more start?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    How awesome must if feel when he gets that first MLB paycheck that is basically paying him $2,000 every day he is on the roster, especially after being in the minors for a decade, that's just cool to think about.

Id love to see him stick as a starter for a couple more games at least, then stick in the pen for the rest of the year and next (while being a guy who can fill in for a start if needed)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, since I already commented once about Pino, I don't mind also commenting off topic in regard to salary caps. (Since we've somehow ended up there)

I am very much in favor of a salary cap for baseball, and have been for some time. But maybe not for the reason(s) you would immediately think of. I don't care if the Yankees want to spend 180M or more on a team. When they don't win, it's almost hilarious. And just spending doesn't guarantee any form of success. However, it does increase the likelihood of being competitive, in the hunt, and a higher percentage of success season to season.

I don't advocate a low ceiling to handcuff team or restrict movement or salaries. (Though some of the salaries have gotten nuts) Much like the NFL, to protect the players' assets, you could also implement a cap floor as well.

The reason I'm in favor of a cap is not to prevent top money market teams from signing players, but to make it more difficult for them to simply corner the market, write checks, eat losses where necessary without concern. If there were some restrictions in place, a team like the Yankees, as the most prime and obvious example, would have to be concerned with such aspects as dead money on the books. They couldn't just have a bad season and open the checkbook without thinking and simply outbid everyone to flood their roster. They'd have to work harder to craft their roster. And mid and low market teams would find themselves in a better position, I believe, to step in to the FA market to not only add new players, but to be more competitive to keep their own.

I know it's a few years old now, but think back to when Torri Hunter left the Twins. Yes, they should have been more proactive in re-signing him early. But when they stepped to the table, they didnt sneak up, they stepped up and offered a very good contract. The Angels then swooped in and outbid the Twins by several million dollars in one quick swoop. Shame on the Twins for dragging their feet, and nicely played by the Angels. But what if the Angels had to pause for a moment, found they couldn't just toss out 3-4M more a season arbitrarily, a d had to either pull back, or shuffle their roster? Changes the complexion of the playing field, so to speak, might even said field a bit, and might make team moves even more interesting.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Well, since I already commented once about Pino, I don't mind also commenting off topic in regard to salary caps. (Since we've somehow ended up there)
    Moderator's note: I left this tangent alone the last time I read the thread, but please, if you and others really want to discuss salary caps, open a new thread on it. Doing so will show respect to the original poster, in this thread he started about Yohan Pino.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post

I am very much in favor of a salary cap for baseball, and have been for some time. But maybe not for the reason(s) you would immediately think of. I don't care if the Yankees want to spend 180M or more on a team. When they don't win, it's almost hilarious. And just spending doesn't guarantee any form of success. However, it does increase the likelihood of being competitive, in the hunt, and a higher percentage of success season to season.

I don't advocate a low ceiling to handcuff team or restrict movement or salaries. (Though some of the salaries have gotten nuts) Much like the NFL, to protect the players' assets, you could also implement a cap floor as well.

The reason I'm in favor of a cap is not to prevent top money market teams from signing players, but to make it more difficult for them to simply corner the market, write checks, eat losses where necessary without concern. If there were some restrictions in place, a team like the Yankees, as the most prime and obvious example, would have to be concerned with such aspects as dead money on the books. They couldn't just have a bad season and open the checkbook without thinking and simply outbid everyone to flood their roster. They'd have to work harder to craft their roster. And mid and low market teams would find themselves in a better position, I believe, to step in to the FA market to not only add new players, but to be more competitive to keep their own.

I know it's a few years old now, but think back to when Torri Hunter left the Twins. Yes, they should have been more proactive in re-signing him early. But when they stepped to the table, they didnt sneak up, they stepped up and offered a very good contract. The Angels then swooped in and outbid the Twins by several million dollars in one quick swoop. Shame on the Twins for dragging their feet, and nicely played by the Angels. But what if the Angels had to pause for a moment, found they couldn't just toss out 3-4M more a season arbitrarily, a d had to either pull back, or shuffle their roster? Changes the complexion of the playing field, so to speak, might even said field a bit, and might make team moves even more interesting.
    Don't know how this misinformation started, but the Twins offer to Torii was only 3/45. The White Sox offered 5/75, before the Angels signed him for 5/90.

5. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Here's hoping that Pino earns another start after tonight! Need him to step up and pick up Gibson
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Plan A Pefrey
    Plan B Deduno
    Plan C Pino
    Plan D? Gibson and Hughes then sing the blues?

8. These 2 users like The Wise One's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (06-26-2014), USAFChief (06-26-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Pino might get one more start after this... He struggled, but the Angels also knocked around Gibson the day before. That rotation spot is still TBD?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 374 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think one more start. We knew his time would be limited anyway, but after a terrific debut, I think he bought the third start. At that point, could be optioned or even DFAd.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Well, they optioned him for infield depth... They could call him right back when Nuñez and/or Plouffe return from the DL.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234