Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Joe Mauer Theory???

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Crazy Joe Mauer Theory???

Was watching the game last night(and admittedly consuming some beverages). Someone suggested a reason for Mauer's struggles this year. I thought it was crazy, but the more I thought about is(as the beverages have been known to cause) the more it made a little bit of sense. In the daylight I still think it's makes a little sense and thought I'd see what other people thought of it.

The bottom line is this: Mauer's legs are too fresh.

I'm not saying this is the entire problem, but am wondering if it may be a part of it. In the offseason everyone assumed that his numbers would go up without the fatigue/wear and tear caused by catching. But could the opposite be true as well? After all Mauer has spent his entire career hitting and catching. Maybe he got used to hitting with fatigued legs.

With the lower body being such a key part of hitting and batting mechanics being so finicky it makes some sense that anything that alters those mechanics would have a trickle down effect. It's like the nagging injury in reverse.

I couldn't help but think of an article I read a long time ago(I think it was about Nick Blackburn) where it talked about how early in games his sinker(I think,again I blame the beverages) didn't have as much movement on it because he was too fresh, had too much velocity and the pitch straightened out. But as the game went on and he got tired, his velocity dropped and movement increased.

So if he could 'pitch better'(although with Blackburn that was/is a relative term) when slightly fatigued, in theory couldn't Mauer hit better when he was slightly fatigued? At the very least I think there is some truth in my buddy's statement that Mauer is going to have to adjust his swing/approach to having a stronger lower body and he just maybe hasn't made all those adjustments yet.

Thoughts? Is this one of those dumb beverage nights or a genius beverage night?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The theory was, he would hit better and with more power with fresher hands and legs. Weakness rarely creates better results.

I like to think he still struggles with concussion symptoms, which manifest themselves in not seeing the ball as well. His K rate is way up. And looking at some of his Ks in video, he's missed some balls that I've never seen him miss before.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Weakness rarely creates better results.
    Sinkerballers.

Past that, yeah. Not so much.

Junior Member Rookie
    I definitely don't think that weakness creates better results. I just wonder if the adjustment to stronger legs is harder than we thought it was going to be. But I also agree with thoughts about the lingering effects of the concussion. A lot of the swings he taken and pitches he has swung at just don't seem like swings he would have taken in previous years.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries

6. These 5 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-20-2014), GCTF (06-20-2014), James (06-20-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (06-20-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    If this were true, wouldn't Mauer have started really slowly every year until his legs reached the optimum level of weakness?

8. These 5 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-20-2014), Badsmerf (06-21-2014), glunn (06-21-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-20-2014), USAFChief (06-21-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Dang it. It appears it was a dumb beverage night. Was really hoping we had a genius beverage night

Anyway, thought it might be a fun topic to talk about for a few hours

10. These 3 users like zwiefz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-20-2014), glunn (06-21-2014), USAFChief (06-21-2014)

I don't buy that. But I do buy that Mauer having infant twins is preoccupying his mind and he's no longer able to focus 100% on baseball.

12. This user likes glanzer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-21-2014)

So you're telling me the solution to his hitting woes is a simple induction of bi-lateral leg weakness? I'm sold!

14. These 4 users like twinsin17's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-22-2014), gil4 (06-20-2014), glunn (06-21-2014), Paul Pleiss (06-21-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I like to think he still struggles with concussion symptoms, which manifest themselves in not seeing the ball as well. His K rate is way up. And looking at some of his Ks in video, he's missed some balls that I've never seen him miss before.
    His K% in 2013 before the concussion was 17.5%. After the concussion his 2014 K% is 18.1%. The majority of the growth of his historical K% (11%) happened prior to the concussion and I would be hesitant to link the two.

16. This user likes jharaldson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-20-2014)

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Sinkerballers.Past that, yeah. Not so much.
    I don't buy it for sinkerballers either.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    My conspiracy theory is that his struggles are the result of him trying to adjust and failing. Mauer has always been a patient hitter that lets the ball get deep on him and then slashes it the other way, but I remember a couple quotes and some in game announcer chatter about him attempting to pull the ball a lot more and change his approach.

It seems like he got himself way out of whack with that, add learning a new position on the fly, being absurdly unlucky on line drives going right at people, coming back from a concussion, dealing with new wear and tear, and dealing with the resurgence of the blame Mauer crowd and I think it has snowballed.

His last 3 big hits have been classic Mauer, 2 doubles and a single slashed the other way so maybe he is going back to the old approach.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

19. This user likes zchrz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (06-22-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    I was expecting this thread to focus on whether Joe had stopped using Head and Shoulders shampoo.

21. These 6 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (06-21-2014), gil4 (06-20-2014), glunn (06-21-2014), Joe A. Preusser (06-20-2014), Paul Pleiss (06-21-2014), USAFChief (06-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think its because he keeps hitting into shifts. Somebody help me out here. His line drive rate is similar to what it has always been correct? but isnt his BABIP like 40 points below what his careere numbers are? It just seems to me every night that he has one atbat where he lines to left or to center and is out

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,288 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I was expecting this thread to focus on whether Joe had stopped using Head and Shoulders shampoo.
    I was expecting this thread to suggest that Joe not be DLed but institutionalized.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I was expecting this thread to suggest that Joe not be DLed but institutionalized.
    I am guessing that has been suggested in complete seriousness and sincerity in the Strib comments (although I guess if anyone would know about needing institutionalization -- it would be some posters there).

25. This user likes D. Hocking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-20-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    What about bad sinkerballers?

27. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-21-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grassy Knoll
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    The faster a pitch goes, the less movement it has.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    The faster a pitch goes, the less movement it has.
    I don't think there's much, if any evidence for that.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast